VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    On my old Argosy media player, it has come to the point of replacing the 'wall wart' power supply, again.

It uses a 12 volt, 2 amp supply.

Question: Would a 4 amp or even 6 amp p.s. work as a replacement?

(WD SMP & Dune use 1 1/2 amp ps's)

They all show about 16-17 volts reading at the plug end, I dont know if the higher amps units under load would be higher volts, possibly frying the Argosy.

The original p.s. I replaced a few years ago, when it began "turn on player, does not see internal hdd, turn off, & turn on again, now all is well". = new p.s. cured this. Now, 'media disconnected' when anything is turned on on the 110v circuit. 'media found' it (hdd) comes back on line in just a few seconds.

I have several (actually a whole bunch of 'em) 'wall wart' ps's, from 200 milliamps to 6+ amps, & wondered if they would work before buying a new 2 amp unit.

-c-

(Argosy used 'linux' <- much better than WD SMP or Dune 303d systems, I have all three, & prefer the Argosy hands down)
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  2. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    Question: Would a 4 amp or even 6 amp p.s. work as a replacement?
    Yes. As long as it is AT LEAST 2A it will be enough.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  3. The rating on the power supply is the max it's rated to deliver. Since your device works on a 2 Amp power supply it requires less than 2 Amps. (Though, maybe that's borderline since you've blown one out.) It won't draw any more power when connected to a 4 Amp or 6 Amp power supply. In my experience, unloaded power supplies show a few more volts than their stated output when measured with a meter. This is generally not a problem since the first thing that happens in the device is a stepdown to 5 volts or 3.3 volts for the internal components.

Make sure the polarity of the connector is the same.
    Quote Quote