VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Which one of these containers would be best for UHD 4k? AVI, MKV, 3GP or FLV?

Thank you in advance for any help,
    yeto
    Quote Quote  
  2. It depends what the scenario is - what compression is used for audio and video (some are incompatible in some containers), and what the target software or hardware is supposed to be
    Quote Quote  
  3. Such container which records the camera in 4K {MP4 (XAVCS), AVCHD}. Color grading in NLE editor also XAVCS or AVCHD
    http://indianexpress.com/article/technology/gadgets/ces-2015-panasonic-launches-range-...y-disc-player/
    This prototype integrates video processing and optical disc drive technologies making it capable of reproducing 4K (3,840 x 2,160 pixel)/60p[1]/10-bit[2] high resolution video, and supporting the latest technologies such as High Dynamic Range that marks a major leap in the brightness peak from the previous 100 nit3 to 1,000-10,000 nit to improve the power of expression; wide color gamut standard BT.2020[4], which greatly increases color reproduction; high-efficiency video compression technology HEVC (H.265)/ Blu-ray Disc playback at a high bit rate of 100Mbps.
    Originally Posted by yeto View Post
    AVI, MKV, 3GP or FLV?
    What kind of miracles? It is very outdated.
    Last edited by Jamaika; 8th Aug 2015 at 03:34.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    It depends what the scenario is - what compression is used for audio and video (some are incompatible in some containers), and what the target software or hardware is supposed to be
    I have some UHD 4k mp4 files/videos that I need to play on a Samsung TV from a flash drive. The Samsung TV will not play the mp4 files. Without knowing what compression is used which container would you try first, second and so on?

Thanks in advance for any help,
    yeto
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by yeto View Post
    The Samsung TV will not play the mp4 files.
    What are MP4 parameters with MediaInfo?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by yeto View Post
    I have some UHD 4k mp4 files/videos that I need to play on a Samsung TV from a flash drive. The Samsung TV will not play the mp4 files. Without knowing what compression is used which container would you try first, second and so on?
    First, I would look in the Samsung TV's manual and see what it supports. Second, I would consider codecs more important than containers so I would use mediainfo to see what I've actually got. Third, if necessary, I would reencode my file into a codec/container combination that the Samsung asks for.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by yeto View Post

Thanks in advance for any help,
    yeto
    I assume it's a UHD TV? Otherwise 1080p would probably be about the limit and it very likely won't decode h265/HEVC video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with smrpix. You can reduce the list of options be verifying what is supported by the TV. This includes the container, codecs AND file specs (ie: resolution, video bitrate, audio, etc.).

There most often isn't a "best", it's what meets your requirements for use.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  9. I converted the file to .ts format which my TV supports. The original .mp4 file was 835 MB in size. The converted .ts file is 255 MB in size. I used Cloud Convert to convert the file. Is it normal for a .ts file to be approx. a third the size of the .mp4 file or did I lose information in the convert process?

Thank you in advance for any help,
    yeto
    Quote Quote  
  10. Without before and after Mediainfo reports nobody can say with absolute certainty -- but if your file size is reduced to 1/3 it's a pretty good bet you lost a lot. How does it look?
    Quote Quote