VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

When I seek thru a video in PotPlayer it works pretty instantly. IF the video isn't HD (which most are nowadays).

All HD videos are slow to seek thru, if I press the button to skip 5 seconds forward, It takes 1 or 2 seconds for the actual skip to happen. So imagine how annoying this is while trying to find a specific moment in a movie, because I can't repeatadly skip forward/backward or Potplayer locks up for like 10 seconds before resuming playback.

Anyone know a way to fix this? if not I'll have to move back to using Zoom Player :/
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Ensure "Jump to keyframe" is enabled under Prefs: Playback / Time Jump.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. That box is checked tho.

Suddenly I find an HD video file that doesn't lag nearly as much when seeking. Could it be codec specific or something?
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Possibly not the "codec", but the type of container
    There are some MKV files that are problematic to some players, because of the way they were muxed.

FWIW, you can configure Potplayer to use only the external demuxers and decoders (LAV Filters, Haali, ffdshow, whatever) and check if the problem disappears (or persists...)

Anyway: Potplayer itself actually is a "small" resource hog...
    and somehow it's funny that Potplayer is making your modern PC act as if it was a jurassic Pentium-4
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know rite, i switched to Pot cause I didn't want to rely on external filters and whatnot. From what I remember using external ones made the seeking even worse.

Then again my rig is like 3 years old but that shouldn't be an issue. And I mentioned Zoom Player in my OP, in which I can seek blazingly fast.

The one I tried now which didn't lag at all almost was an h264 MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Anyway: Potplayer itself actually is a "small" resource hog...
    and somehow it's funny that Potplayer is making your modern PC act as if it was a jurassic Pentium-4
    Nope, never found that - in fact the exact opposite. Newer versions have added more "features" that I didn't need, but it's still a great player. I've always found it to extremely responsive and plays everything I've ever thrown at it great. In fact responsiveness on seeking is the #1 reason I use it exclusively. I'd actually suggest using Internal filters first, and perhaps go back a few versions to an older stable release to see if it helps. Oh, and try 'Initialize' (and clear 'Daum' registry and/or ini file).

BTW, I have a really old PC (10 y.o) and use PP every day (smooth as). I play a lot of HD media, and only the very highest bitrates (full BD) require me to use DXVA.
    Last edited by katipo; 9th Aug 2015 at 05:44.
    Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    @katipo: OK, you win
    (even though my piece-of-junk is 4 years older than yours ).

@skribby: as katipo said, you should give a try to some older versions of PotPlayer...
    Only occasionally I use PotPlayer, and I chose not to install anything,
    I simply unpacked the installer and extracted PotPlayerMini.exe plus a few other files.
    The build I have is really "ancient" (1.5.35238).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not very keen on using an old media player when the changelog for the recent versions have bugfixes and so forth.

But extracting a few select files seems like a fun idea to try, altho the newest version might not run that way because of the integrity check at startup.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    You never mentioned the file format, video/audio codecs and resolution you had problems with?
    File size and bitrates may be important too. Then you may need examples if you want others to test...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought I'd written that I'd troubleshoot and report back but I guess that reply was all in my head lol

So yeah I'll have to set aside some time for that (start comparing video files), and then I can report back with my findings
    Quote Quote