VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a DVD containing an AUDIO_TS (empty map) and VIDEO_TS (map with .bup, .inf, and .VOB files). I copied both maps to my laptop in a new map named "Lady Wu". This "Lady Wu" film map plays perfectly in my VLC player, the included Chinese and English subtitles work fine too.

My problem starts when I add my own .SRT dutch subtitle file in this film on the VLC player: my dutch subtitles do not show up in the 1st up to the 12th minute of this film, ... fortunately from the 13th minute on till the end of the film my subtitles show up normally.

However, my dutch srt subtitles work fine and show up from the very start when I add the same srt file to any other TS film maps on VLC in my laptop.
    This indicates that my srt file is fine, ... but errors in my "Lady Wu" film .bup, .inf and .VOB files are responsable for the missing 12 starting minutes of subtitle text.
    Please tell me how to repair.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Videosub View Post
    This indicates that my srt file is fine, ... but errors in my "Lady Wu" film .bup, .inf and .VOB files are responsable for the missing 12 starting minutes of subtitle text.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that, if I were you. First, to be sure the SRT really is okay, I'd open it in SubResynch (comes included with the VOBSub package) and then resave it. That often works to fix SRT files that are somehow corrupt. Second, you didn't say how you added the subs to the DVD. Baldrick has a guide to doing this:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277950-How-to-add-new-subtitles-to-an-existing-DVD

I think his Method 2 is the better one. And it's 'IFO', not 'INF'.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry Manono, I'm not interested in making a new DVD, ... I just view the movie on my laptop only, using the great VLC Media Player.
    The VLC Mediaplayer permits to select the Original subtitles of the VOB movie, and permits also to select and add SRT subtitle files in the VOB movies that are playing on my laptop in VLC.

As I said before, my dutch "Lady Wu" SRT file in question works perfectly and completely in other VOB films that I play in VLC Mediaplayer on my laptop, even the first 12 minutes of my subtitles file are visible in all those other movies (though this "Lady Wu" srt text doesnot suit those movies).

So what is wrong with the VOB files or IFO files of my "Lady Wu" movie map on my laptop, and how to repair it. ... ?

I experimented a little with the IFOEDIT program I just downloaded, but I don't know how to work on so many VOB files (25 files for 11 parts), nor how to create new 11 new IFO files. ... Thanks a lot for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Okay then, sorry. You could make an MKV of the DVD using MakeMKV and then play the subs with it. You could use VOB2MPEG to make a single MPEG of the DVD and then try to get the subs to play along with the movie. Other than those ideas, I can't help.
    Last edited by manono; 6th Aug 2015 at 17:17.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I agree with manono.

But I don't know if it should be taken litterally when you say you play VOB files or is it VIDEO_TS.IFO (as it should be) .. or just drag-drop the VIDEO_TS folder on VLC.

And even if the srt plays with other files it never hurts to open them in Subtitle Edit and use Tools -> Fix common errors.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For playing my VOB movies in VLC Player I select Media/Open Map/Lady Wu. Thus VLC selects the IFO file automatically. Once the movie plays I select Subtitles/Add Subtitle File/Lady Wu Chinese and Dutch subtitles.srt
    In fact I converted this .srt file to .ass file, because in .srt my Chinese subtitles show only small squares, whereas in .ass format my Chinese subtitles appear normally in Chinese characters. ... Off course I would like to know why, and how to configure the Aegisub subtitle program in this case.

VOB2MPEG doesnot work on my Windows 8.1 laptop. So I installed MakeMKV version 1.9.5 instead. ... That did the job, MakeMKV converted the complete VOB map extremely fast into an MKV file.
    In VLC Media Player this MKV film of almost 2 hours works perfectlytly with the Original subtitles, as well as with my .srt/.ass subtitles, FROM BEGINNING TO END. ... Many thanks friends, for your prompt solutions.
    Quote Quote  
  7. deleted
    Last edited by videobruger; 6th Aug 2015 at 09:14. Reason: I was wrong
    Quote Quote