VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. For those of you hankering to upgrade, Intel has finally released two desktop versions of their Skylake 6th Gen CPU: the i7-6700K and i5-6600K. And Anandtech (the only benchmarking site that I trust) has released their review. Personally, I am not going to be upgrading my 3770K just yet. But none-the-less this is a good sign. We have been waiting for what seems like forever for a desktop version of Skylake.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation

It is a thorough review that tests how well the CPUs perform on Cinebench, Handbrake, and even Hybrid 4K encoding using x265.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Finally..... I wonder how long it'll take them to reach Australia? I'm quite keen to build a new PC while at the same time dreading it. I hate installing Windows and software etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. In this globally connected world, why do you need for it to make it's way to Australia? Just curious. I will be passing on these SKUs. I am personally waiting for Skylake-E in 2016.

I hate rebuilding my machine too. But so is waiting 30 hours for a video to finish encode. Shaving encoding time by a few hours is worth it to me.

Also, make sure you have a decent disk imaging program. I use O&O Disk Image, but there are lots of others. I test and retest my builds to make sure everything works. This way I have no fear of the full nuclear option (format c: ) if something starts to act weird. One of the benefits of DIY.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I can't be bothered buying parts for a new PC from multiple places, but I just checked the price list from my local PC shop and the i5-6600K & i7-6700K are both listed and appear to be in stock.

I'm not sure I see the value in the "E" processors. My local shop has the i5-6600K & i7-6700K listed at $395 & $559 respectively. Currently the prices for the i7-5820K, i7-5930K and i7-5960X are $559, $825, & $1489. I haven't looked at comparison benchmarks but for 4 cores at $559 vs 8 cores at $1489 I'm pretty sure I'd prefer to buy two 4 core CPUs and build a second computer.

Skylake-E is still a year away and I've put off building a new PC far too long anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    I can't be bothered buying parts for a new PC from multiple places, but I just checked the price list from my local PC shop and the i5-6600K & i7-6700K are both listed and appear to be in stock.

I'm not sure I see the value in the "E" processors. My local shop has the i5-6600K & i7-6700K listed at $395 & $559 respectively. Currently the prices for the i7-5820K, i7-5930K and i7-5960X are $559, $825, & $1489. I haven't looked at comparison benchmarks but for 4 cores at $559 vs 8 cores at $1489 I'm pretty sure I'd prefer to buy two 4 core CPUs and build a second computer.

Skylake-E is still a year away and I've put off building a new PC far too long anyway.
    Are those Aussie dollars? Because those prices are definitely rich. Newegg prices in the US are:

5960X $1,049
    5930K $569
    5820K $390

Only the i5 is listed for Skylake:
    6600K $250

If I knew I could save nearly $500 on a PC part, I would be pleased as punch sourcing from multiple suppliers.

Everyone needs to assess their own situation on whether an upgrade is worth the money. I have an Ivybridge i7-3770K and according to this I would gain about 25% to 30% in x264 fps. For me, the main reason I am targeting the Extreme is I am moving over to 4K soon. But I am not interested in Haswell-E.

This benchmarking article perfectly illustrates the benefit of the Extreme series especially for 4K video using x265. For multi-threaded applications, the additional cores makes a difference. But the cost can be prohibitive. I estimate based on the 5960X benchmarking that a Skylake-E could potentially be a 2X increase over my 3770K in 4K x265 encode speeds. That to me is worth it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Are those Aussie dollars?
    Yeah, Aussie dollars. I've no idea what the exchange rate is at the moment. I probably should check it out.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ahh that makes sense then. The current rate is ~76 cents USD for $1 AUD. Although still a little bit of premium. I don't know if Newegg ships internationally or what it would cost, but right now the spread after FX for a 5960X is $109 AUD. However, you are close to Asia where all the stuff is fabbed anyway. So I imagine there are some Asian suppliers that would offer even better prices.
    Quote Quote