VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This has been driving me nuts lately. I tried to get support from EVGA and Nvidia, no success. I have an EVGA GTX 570 card. Want to connect the mini HDMI port to an HDTV. I bought a good quality mini to regular HDMI cable from Amazon, read in the reviews on there that several people did just want I want to do with similar cards connected to TVs. I know the cable works because when I connect it from my video camera to the TV, it works fine.

Through troubleshooting, I discovered that when I connect only the HDMI port, i.e., no DVI monitors connected, and reboot the computer, there is signal and I can see the bootup screen as well as the starting windows screen, although the display is distorted with some sort of red overlay and static. Nevertheless, there is signal. Then as soon as I'm all the way into Windows 7, the TV displays "no signal"

I tried the latest video driver and that didn't work. Has anyone run into this? I searched other forums, others have reported the issue, but I can't seem to get a definitive solution. Thanks for any suggestions!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sdsumike619 View Post
    This has been driving me nuts lately. I tried to get support from EVGA and Nvidia, no success. I have an EVGA GTX 570 card. Want to connect the mini HDMI port to an HDTV. I bought a good quality mini to regular HDMI cable from Amazon, read in the reviews on there that several people did just want I want to do with similar cards connected to TVs. I know the cable works because when I connect it from my video camera to the TV, it works fine.

Through troubleshooting, I discovered that when I connect only the HDMI port, i.e., no DVI monitors connected, and reboot the computer, there is signal and I can see the bootup screen as well as the starting windows screen, although the display is distorted with some sort of red overlay and static. Nevertheless, there is signal. Then as soon as I'm all the way into Windows 7, the TV displays "no signal"

I tried the latest video driver and that didn't work. Has anyone run into this? I searched other forums, others have reported the issue, but I can't seem to get a definitive solution. Thanks for any suggestions!
    I haven't had this problem, but just to be sure, have you gone into Control Panel->Appearance and Personalization->Display->Adjust Resolution to detect and set up the TV as your display?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh yeah, been there in the windows control panel, as well as Nvidia control center. I forgot to mention that Windows does see that the TV is plugged in, it identifies it by its model number, detects its native resolution and refresh rate but just no signal being sent to the TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It should work if you use a standard consumer-electronics resolution supported by your TV, like 720p59.94.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    It should work if you use a standard consumer-electronics resolution supported by your TV, like 720p59.94.
    Yes, many TVs are not tolerant of unusual resolutions and frequencies. Use either 1280x720 at 59.94 Hz, or 1920x1080 at 29.97 Hz interlaced.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HDMI video from a PC tends to be RGB, and most consumer electronics use YPbPr, plus they use overscan. I thought maybe the TV had settings that needed to be used for a computer or had an HDMI port designated for a computer, but there was no indication of that in the manual.

I know that you said the cable works with your camera, but other than trying a different cable, I have no other suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sdsumike619 View Post
    You could be right. But although that TV has a 1920x1080 panel that runs at 60 Hz I didn't see anywhere on that page that indicates it accepts that as INPUT.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As part of trouble shooting, I changed the resolution in Windows, and tried all of the available resolutions, down to the very bottom, no such luck...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    did you set windows for "DUAL" display ?
    the NO Signal sounds like the card is turning OFF
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you mean under Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution, then yes..
    I also made sure the display was enabled in the nVidia control panel.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How many monitors do you have connected?

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I was testing all this stuff out, I tried it with my main LCD DVI connected monitor, and the HDMI.
    Then I tried it with just the HDMI, that's when I discovered there was signal at bootup, as well as the "starting windows" screen before it disappears after you're all the way into Windows.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should be able to use 480P (640x480@60hz), 720P (1280/1366x720@60hz), or 1080P (1920x1080@60hz) as input based on the TV specs.

The BIOS and Windows loading screen are VGA (640x480), Windows will be whatever you have set as the desktop resolution.

You may want to ensure the TV has the latest firmware.

Aside from that, a faulty cable or the HDMI port of the gpu. You could test the port using a different monitor or TV.
    Last edited by Krispy Kritter; 14th Aug 2015 at 13:47.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I checked and my TV doesn't have any firmware updates, there's no firmware available for it at all actually. I know the cable is not faulty because I can connect it from my camcorder to the same TV and it works perfectly. This would make me think it's the HDMI port on the card itself, however, as I said, some signal does come through when it's the only monitor connected, and only at bootup and just prior to entering windows on the "starting windows" splash screen. I am wondering if perhaps it needs a signal booster? The cable is 15 feet, however, others on Amazon in the reviews say they have used the cable to connect similar video cards to their TVs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would test using a different cable. Distance will vary based on the cable quality and one device working with a given cable, does not mean all devices will work with the cable (especially at different resolutions).

Use a shorter, quality "high speed" cable (at least for testing).

I get all of my cables from monoprice, including the 35ft cable connecting my PC to my TV.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The short one won't do me much good.. What about this 15 footer from Monoprice?
    http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10331
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Should be fine.

I recommended a short cable as while the cable is the most likely issue, the equipment itself can also affect signal quality. And like all cables, the longer the cable, the more signal degradation occurs. So if the equipment has a weak signal, it's more likely to work with a short cable than a long cable.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  18. Use a shorter cable. Use a different cable. A CAMCORDER IS *NOT*, REPEAT, *NOT* A COMPUTER. Testing using a camcorder is a totally useless, worthless waste of time as it tells you absolutely nothing more, and considerably less, than the fact that the TV displays the BIOS resolution.

Verify firm and tight connection on both ends, with no slippage or looseness. Describe more fully the distortion seen when BIOS is displayed. If possible test same cable on a different monitor. THAT will actually provide some useful information. Pay special connection to connection tightness on other monitor and observe carefully for any remotely similar distortion at boot up, during BIOS display.

Hookup a second monitor, boot, and mirror the display to the TV. Verify functionality, lower resolution if necessary, switch TV to primary, boot with both displays connected, verify functionality, verify TV is still primary, power OFF, leave TV ON, disconnect other display, power up PC with only TV connected.

Use a shorter cable. Get a different cable.
    Quote Quote  
  19. All Right, WTF happened, or were you just yanking our chains and wasting our time? Total lack of response from the OP is unacceptable.

Next time you can't solve some simple problem, you are likely to get a "fix it yourself" from me. Lack of feedback really pisses me off.
    Quote Quote