VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So, I have ripped close to 100 of my dvd's using this combo. Handbrake with anyDVD running in the background.

I now get to this 2 disk movie set and the first disk will not copy correctly/play after being ripped/gives an error message that doesn't make sense.

I have spent the better part of 5-6 hours today and a few yesterday pouring over forums and downloading multiple suggested programs to try and get this ripped disk to work (make MakeMKV, Winxdvd ripper, DIVX Converter), to try and shrink the file (DVD shrink) and multiple players (Free mpg player, free mkv player, DIVX player), as every new ripping program seems to give me a new file extension that windows media player won't open. Not to mention all the time waiting for the dvd to rip to see if its successful.

The 2nd disk in the set rips just fine, no errors at all, plays beautifully. I've also never had any problems before.

The closest I've come to it working with all the things installed today was using the "winx dvd ripper" download, but since it was a trial it only rips the first 5 minutes for testing purposes and the full version costs 40 bucks! I also tried dvd shrink and it ripped approximately the first 5 or so minutes as well!

What I am assuming (and I could be wrong) is that this Disk 1 is too large in size to be ripped using my handbrake/anydvd combo. So I tired some others but still can't seem to get the file small enough to rip the complete length. I would go ahead and buy the WinxDVD ripper, but since other free ones don't work I am hesitant to put out that money.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. My brother is the computer one and sadly he is on a different continent than I, so I am hoping to rely on you lovely people. If you need more info for a suggestion just let me know. I can upload screenshots or anything needed.

Please help!!
    Last edited by Noquestionisdumbright; 6th Aug 2015 at 00:49.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    what is the error message?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Noquestionisdumbright View Post
    gives an error message that doesn't make sense.
    That error message may make sense to someone else on this board. It's the single most important clue to your problem, and you forgot to post it.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sorry for the delay..
    Here is a screenshot of what happens
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Error.PNG
Views:	366
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	33000Click image for larger version

Name:	error2.PNG
Views:	318
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	33001
    Quote Quote  
  5. Why I think it is a file size problem is because the 2nd disk came in at 3.25gb. While every one of the failed disk 1 attempts is 3.99gb. So I figured it couldn't rip over 4gb. If this makes sense
    Last edited by Noquestionisdumbright; 5th Aug 2015 at 21:18.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just rip/copy the disc to your hard drive first, if that works THEN worry about converting it to something else.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm not asking how to convert anything. I'm asking for help with the error that occurs after the disk is ripped to my hard drive.

The disk is on my hard drive. I did rip it to my hard drive already. About 7-8 different times. As I said I've had many successful rips to my hard drive with other disks. This one doesn't play after ripping it. So then I started trying the other programs that mentioned. With zero success so far
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you are actully using the word RIP, in the correct manor, meaning to copy to the HHD
    most people use it meaning to convert, during the process
    that through us a curve

did you try to play the file with VLC or media layer classic-ht
    instead of windows player

there may not being anything seriously wrong with the disc file
    just one little glitch and windows balks, it wants all the ducks lined up in a row..so to speak
    its not a forgiving program
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Noquestionisdumbright View Post
    I'm not asking how to convert anything. I'm asking for help with the error that occurs after the disk is ripped to my hard drive.

The disk is on my hard drive. I did rip it to my hard drive already. About 7-8 different times. As I said I've had many successful rips to my hard drive with other disks. This one doesn't play after ripping it. So then I started trying the other programs that mentioned. With zero success so far
    A "rip" is an exact, bit for bit copy of the DVD. You end up with a VIDEO_TS folder full of VOB, VTS and BUP files.....not a single file.
    Your very first sentence mentions HandBrake....a CONVERTER.
    Right click on the AnyDVD icon in the taskbar and copy the disc to your hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks for the suggestion. Yes. I did try the vlc player. It didn't work either
    it just won't play. Vlc never gives an error message like the one I got for windows media player. It just tries to play then seems to cycle back to the home screen after a few minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by Noquestionisdumbright View Post
    I'm not asking how to convert anything. I'm asking for help with the error that occurs after the disk is ripped to my hard drive.

A "rip" is an exact, bit for bit copy of the DVD. You end up with a VIDEO_TS folder full of VOB, VTS and BUP files.....not a single file.
    Your very first sentence mentions HandBrake....a CONVERTER.
    Right click on the AnyDVD icon in the taskbar and copy the disc to your hard drive.
    I'm not sure if we're discussing the same handbrake. The one I'm using specifically mentioned ripping a dvd using handbrake and I have around 100 single files that have been ripped using handbrake successfully. All I do is double click them and they play
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Goodbye.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Okey...my turn:

Right click on the AnyDVD icon in the taskbar and Rip Video DVD to Harddisk.
    Does that create a VIDEO_TS folder on your HDD?

Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    opps.. i missed the handbrake single file reference
    that is a conversion, not a bit for bit copy "RIP"

you need to try a direct "disc" copy with all folders..to your HD

then IF that one plays..try your handbrake conversion on the HD copy
    Quote Quote  
  15. Sorry if I'm not using "Rip" in the proper way. I just got that from what the program calls what I am doing...

Okay, So not sure exactly what I'm doing, but, when I right click AnyDVD it doesn't give me any option to "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk"

I did make a like for like/Direct disk copy (wording ?) of the disk a few days ago when I had used a bunch of different programs to try and make this work. One of those programs did create a folder of my dvd disk. I abandoned them because I couldn't get them to play either. Below is what I got from that attempt.

I'm frustrated with this disk. Why am I having trouble here when I haven't before?? The rest have been so simple! Click of a few buttons wait about 45-hour and presto Media file from my disk that plays beautifully. UGH

Click image for larger version

Name:	Like for like copy folders.PNG
Views:	287
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	33020Click image for larger version

Name:	Video folder contents.PNG
Views:	274
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	33021
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    that is exactly what you should have
    download VLC "video Lan Player"
    the audio-ts and video-ts folders should have been a folder with the name DVD or the name of the disc
    right click on that folder, choose 'play with' and choose VLC
    or open VLC and navigate to that folder..you do not need to go to the individual files
    Quote Quote  
  17. I have the VLC player. But when I right-click on the main folder it doesn't give me an "open with" option like normal. It only has "open" which opens the folder
    Likewise when I navigate within the VLC player, it doesn't play the whole folder it keeps opening each individual folder
    Last edited by Noquestionisdumbright; 6th Aug 2015 at 22:42.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    'open with' is from windows right click menus

from VLC its Media / open folder

choose the folder on the HD, it will play, if its good
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    'open with' is from windows right click menus

from VLC its Media / open folder

choose the folder on the HD, it will play, if its good

I tried this not working.

Any other ideas as to getting this large file size dvd successfully ripped to my HD using handbrake? I am open to other software that will rip a dvd onto the HD as long is it works.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVDfab will probably do it
    it will copy to HD, convert to mp4, or take MKV and make mk4
    but its Not free
    IIRC current cost is about $100
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    since you Want one file
    you could just play it on the PC and use screen recording software to create a file, a recording of the playback
    VLC might do it
    there are several free softwares for this and some commercial retail software also
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    DVDfab will probably do it
    it will copy to HD, convert to mp4, or take MKV and make mk4
    but its Not free
    IIRC current cost is about $100
    I'll probably try the Winx DVD ripper I mentioned earlier before I do that. Winx was $40 bucks and it worked for the first 5 minutes it lets you do for the trial to test it out. I just didn't want to pay for anything when I think it's the dvd size thats the problem.

I'm going to keep trying methods. I finally got handbrake/AnyDVD to rip the file and play, just not properly. I set the quality so low to test my size theory that its awful playback.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search PM
    Is your HDD formatted in FAT32 or NTFS, since you think its a file size issue
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    His final size 399mb...doesn't make any difference
    He is talking about size of the DVD being to large
    But single layer DVD is only about 4.2 gb direct copy whole disc
    And IMO 399mb is not large it's too small for a complete movie/DVD and have good quality
    The you tube phone generation seems to think that is a massive file
    It's all relative to 'our own' perceptions
    But shrinking two hrs to 399 mb or less is loosing a lot of quality even with 264 Or 265 encoding
    Last edited by theewizard; 7th Aug 2015 at 16:11.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search PM
    If he's converting direct from the disk, yes the size doesn't matter.
    If he's ripping to HDD or Handbreak is creating temp files, ie, a video + audio demuxed of the dvd then ???
    Quote Quote