VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 26 of 26
Thread
  1. Have we got an option somewhere to delete our own Posts like we can in other forums, i think this is a good option to have ?
    Last edited by glenpinn; 2nd Aug 2015 at 22:06.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    canada
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to feedback.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I only asked that question above because i got an email telling me that you had replied to one of my comments in one of the other threads about a member posting offensive material, and that it should be deleted, and the offending member be banned for 24 hours for breaking the rules.

    When i got to that thread, the offending post was deleted, as well as all the other comments made about that member as well.

    I applaud you for that, maybe someone can tell us if this forum software has an option to allow members to delete their posts,

    Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Not a good idea to let users do that.

    Reason: I was a forum mod myself some years ago and in that forum members could delete their posts. Once you allow that, it could be difficult to follow a thread since the replies could be valid and the user could just be 'playing'

    Always better to contact the moderators to request post deletion with your reasons for the deletion.

    You can edit your post to remove the text but caution should be done with that as well as I saw one long-standing member do that for a great number of his posts and, yes, he was banned for that action.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    USA
    Search Comp PM
    No. You can edit your own posts, but not delete or remove them entirely.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ok guys, thats all i needed to know, 2 of the forums i am on we can delete our posts, another you can delete only within a few minutes, after that, you can only edit.

    I also know that certain persons within the forum has access to all posts, be it the original, as well as the edited version, so not everything vanishes just because you remove your comments.

    Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Then you fail to understand how a database works - and a forum is just that.

    Once a post is edited, the original entry has gone(the database record is changed). A system admin may get an email or other notification with the original post (I used to) but in a busy forum one is not going to read everything. I did read all posts since inf was critical and one had to react quite quickly.

    The forum more works on the reporting principal - if there is something you do not like then report it - rather than the moderator even read everything.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    ^^ Then you fail to understand how a database works - and a forum is just that.

    Once a post is edited, the original entry has gone(the database record is changed).
    well i don't know what forum you was a moderator in, but here is how it works where i come from, and this applies to the 2 forums that i moderate in, as well as 4 other forums that i am a member of.

    If someone makes a Post, and they edit the post by removing the original content and add new content, once you hit the SAVE button, that does not mean your original post is removed from the database completely and replaced by the edited post, the original is still retained in the database, and can be accessed by anyone who has the authority.

    Same applies to any post or thread that is deleted by the creator, they disappear from the forum, but not from the database, so everything you do or say can be retained.

    Usually it is just a senior Admin who has access to this information, other forums the mods may also access this as well.

    Maybe you just got confused by what i was saying.
    Last edited by glenpinn; 3rd Aug 2015 at 06:52.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I guess, only Baldrick can really answer this.

    In any database, an item, when deleted, is marked as such. So let's say a mod deleted a post and the writer objected. It is then possible that the item is then un-marked so becomes active again.

    The only reason why a deleted post should be retained, in the short term, is if the contents needed to be reported to authority for legal reasons.

    Editing a post, marking the original as deleted and then writing a new item with all the markers of the original so it appears in the topic at exactly the same place - a new post would have different markers - is quite a complicated process. There would be no logic in retaining an original and then edited post unless it is the moderator that does the editing (for the same reasons as above)
    Quote Quote  
  10. DECEASED
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heaven
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Well, I guess, only Baldrick can really answer this.

    In any database, an item, when deleted, is marked as such. So let's say a mod deleted a post and the writer objected. It is then possible that the item is then un-marked so becomes active again.

    The only reason why a deleted post should be retained, in the short term, is if the contents needed to be reported to authority for legal reasons.

    Editing a post, marking the original as deleted and then writing a new item with all the markers of the original so it appears in the topic at exactly the same place - a new post would have different markers - is quite a complicated process. There would be no logic in retaining an original and then edited post...
    Thanks for confirming that Facebook is as irrational as I have always said

    ...unless it is the moderator that does the editing (for the same reasons as above)
    Apologies for my ignorance, but what stops an «item» in a database from being ACTUALLY ERASED?

    Bad design? Laziness? "Backward-compatibility"? "Tradition"?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Well, I guess, only Baldrick can really answer this.

    In any database, an item, when deleted, is marked as such. So let's say a mod deleted a post and the writer objected. It is then possible that the item is then un-marked so becomes active again.

    The only reason why a deleted post should be retained, in the short term, is if the contents needed to be reported to authority for legal reasons.

    Editing a post, marking the original as deleted and then writing a new item with all the markers of the original so it appears in the topic at exactly the same place - a new post would have different markers - is quite a complicated process. There would be no logic in retaining an original and then edited post unless it is the moderator that does the editing (for the same reasons as above)
    I don't care what you say, you can argue until the cows come home, and i don't know if what i have said applies to this forum, what i simply said was that where i come from, with the other 6 forums that i am part of, if a member writes a post, then goes back and changes the text, then Saves it, the Admin or mods can not only see the edited post, they can also see the original, the same applies when someone creates a new thread but decides to delete it, that thread is retained in the data base as well.

    I am just telling you how it works in all the forums i belong to, all work exactly the same way, however only 2 of them allow members to delete their posts in certain forum sub sections, and in some sub sections you can delete your own thread as well, but they remain on the database.

    If your forum works differently, then thats up to them, but please don't tell me, or imply that i am wrong about the forums that i am involved with, because your way is not the same everywhere.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Sweden
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    another you can delete only within a few minutes, after that, you can only edit.
    I would like such an option but vbulletin 4.0.0 does not support it. And yes, admin and mods would still see the "soft" deleted post.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Well, I guess, only Baldrick can really answer this.

    {snip]

    )
    I don't care what you say, you can argue until the cows come home,......
    Well I do not care either.

    If you can not get your head around simple discussion then I feel sorry for you.

    Those forums might support what you want. I was not disputing that but rather attempting to show you the principles behind it. Silly me for even trying.

    Now maybe you would also like a lesson in the difference between a 'soft' deletion and a 'hard' one. No ?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    @glenpinn Similar questions to yours have come up before. If removing the content of your post via editing isn't enough, then you will have to contact a moderator to delete the post itself. At least we know why that is true now.
    Quote Quote  
  15. vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 must support deleting posts, because I'm certain you can delete them at doom9. And I'm almost as certain they're not permanently deleted, at least not initially, as I'm sure I've seen one or two restored in the past.

    Personally, I think if you can delete the contents of a post by editing it, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to simply delete it instead (assuming the forum software allows it). The only downside I can possibly see is if deleting a post changes the numbers of the remaining posts, it might cause confusion if someone revers to post #32 that later becomes #31, although that sort of thing doesn't happen too often anyway.

    I'm fairly certain if the ability to delete posts caused too much of a problem doom9 wouldn't allow it, or while neuron2 was moderating he would have found a way to interpret one of the forums rules to give it an additional meaning, banning the user deletion of posts, but the sky hasn't falling due to post deletion there.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Ok, i am not so concerned about deleting posts or threads, most forums you cannot do that yourself, or you may be able to within a brief window of time.

    My concern is to do with Edited Posts, that is if i type a post and then decide to go back and remove all, or parts of the original contents, and replace it with new content.

    2 forums that i frequent are powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4 and the owner of one, and the senior admin of the other has assured me that theser forums are set up so that the database retains every single word that is typed into ever single post, and that text can be extracted for the purposes of legal action, or to re-enstate shoud the poster wish to have it reverted back.

    The same applies to a post that is edited by a Mod or Admin, where they removed some content from a post, and the poster lodged a complaint and won his case, the post can be reverted back to its original state.

    If anyone wants to come back in here and tell me that i am wrong (again) then he is entitled to think what he likes, i got the facts from the owner and senior Admin of 2 forums, and i know for a fact that the other 4 forums that i frequent operate the very same way, and deleted posts and threads can also be re-enstated as well.

    I wish someone from this forum could tell me if they can see what was typed into a post before and after an edit has been made, my guess would be they could, if the forum was set up to allow it.

    Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Sweden
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    I wish someone from this forum could tell me if they can see what was typed into a post before and after an edit has been made, my guess would be they could, if the forum was set up to allow it.
    Yes. I can see every edit.


    Click image for larger version

Name:	vbulletin.png
Views:	272
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	33056
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Yes. I can see every edit.
    Thank you very much, just what i thought.

    Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  19. Wait, does that mean sanl*n's "-30-" posts could be restored?
    Last edited by Baldrick; 10th Aug 2015 at 02:49.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Wait, does that mean sanl*n's "-30-" posts could be restored?
    I don't know, i guess if they have not been "hard" deleted they could be restored.

    BTW, what ever happened to Sanl*n and the edited posts, was he banned ?
    Last edited by Baldrick; 10th Aug 2015 at 02:50.
    Quote Quote  
  21. DECEASED
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heaven
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    ...... BTW, what ever happened to Sanl*n and the edited posts, was he banned ?
    Where have you been living lately? Mars?

    sanl*n, Mephesto, jman98, Noahtuck, newpball — all of them were banned
    Last edited by Baldrick; 10th Aug 2015 at 02:51.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Sanl*n was the member I refered to earlier in this topic. Kinda went ballistic and got his just rewards.

    But I did not know about atleast the last three which were quite regular contributors. Anyone wish to fill me on here. A PM will do not to foul up the topic.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 10th Aug 2015 at 02:51.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Where have you been living lately? Mars?
    sanlyn, Mephesto, jman98, Noahtuck, newpball — all of them were banned
    No need to be shocked remember i only recently started participating on a regular basis again a couple of weeks ago after having a break from video, and i was one of those who got caught up in the Troll Baiting crap that we recently saw from newpball, which i reported twice to the Mods, and after which, Baldrick finally gave him a very well earned and long awaited 30 day ban for posting too many stupid polls, and for just being a childish serial Troll Baiter, and a disruption to the forum.

    In this time back in the forum, i had seen a lot of Sanlyn's edited posts, and his ban, but i was not sure when he got that ban, and for how long.

    So why did jman98 and Sanlyn get their bans, and are they permanent ?

    I am not familiar with Mephesto and Noahtuck.

    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    ^^ Sanlyn was the member I refered to earlier in this topic. Kinda went ballistic and got his just rewards.
    But I did not know about atleast the last three which were quite regular contributors. Anyone wish to fill me on here. A PM will do not to foul up the topic.
    As mentioned above, i knew Sanlyn, not sure about his ban, the other 2 i don't know.

    As for newpball, well i think everyone finally saw him at his best a few weeks ago just before he got his 30 day ban (least i believe it is 30 days)

    His downfall started after i made the following Thread about a camera Stabilizers, and deciding to buy myself a Flycam Nano HD model for $130 rather than pay $500 for one of the Glidecam HD3000 models, just to test it out and see if these things were any good.

    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/373158-New-Glidecam-or-Steadycam

    newpball, rather than accept other opinions and declaring that the only device for shooting good quality video on was a Tripod, decided to make a new Poll about the cheaper Stabilizers and asking for opinions from other members.

    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/373205-A-100-glidecam-what-do-you-think

    This guy just doesn't accept anything but his own advice and opinion, and after he created this rediculously outrageous Poll, i complained 2 times in his Thread, and finally Baldrick came in and decided to give him a holiday, and i hope he is having a long think about his childish behavior and changes his ways, however me thinks he is one guy who will never change his stripes.

    Cheers
    Last edited by glenpinn; 9th Aug 2015 at 04:17.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Sweden
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Wait, does that mean sanl*n's "-30-" posts could be restored?
    Yes. But restoring all of them would take several hours.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 10th Aug 2015 at 02:50.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Is the ban on Sanlyn and jman98 perma, or just a holiday ?
    Quote Quote  
  26. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Sweden
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Wait, does that mean sanl*n's "-30-" posts could be restored?
    Yes. But restoring all of them would take several hours.
    Okey. It only took 16.2219 sec to restore them all....
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads