VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone, i have managed to find a few 4k XAVC-S videos clips from a couple of blog sites, but thats about it, so i was wondering if anyone knows of a website that holds 4k video samples (direct from the camera) in various formats and bitrates for people like me who want to do some testing of real "off the camera" footage using our editing software.

I have tried editing 100Mbps XAVC-S video, and my 3770 Ivy Bridge system struggles on the timeline, so i am contemplating building a brand new intel 6 core mini ATX it ITX system to give me better processing power for 4k editing.

My friend just built an intel 6 core rig, and i want to send him some source files so we can do some bench testing using VRD, and if i am happy with the way his system copes, i will definately build a new system.

Btw, a few people in another forum here in Australia told me to just grab some 4k vids from Youtube, unfortunately these idiots do not realize that the videos in Youtube are not the original source files from the camera, they are 4k resolution but have been re-converted to mp4 using a very low bitrate, so obviously they will not cut it.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    Hi everyone, i have managed to find a few 4k XAVC-S videos clips from a couple of blog sites, but thats about it, so i was wondering if anyone knows of a website that holds 4k video samples (direct from the camera) in various formats and bitrates for people like me who want to do some testing of real "off the camera" footage using our editing software.
    Why do you sample a 4K? You will be tested codecs, cameras, Youtube?

PS Enter https://www.google.pl/#q=footage+video+4k and have paid samples.
    Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    I have tried editing 100Mbps XAVC-S video, and my 3770 Ivy Bridge system struggles on the timeline, so i am contemplating building a brand new intel 6 core mini ATX it ITX system to give me better processing power for 4k editing.
    After all, no one doesn't do. I use 4K to get better 2K at scaling down. No need to run your computer from the Pentagon.
    Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    Btw, a few people in another forum here in Australia told me to just grab some 4k vids from Youtube, unfortunately these idiots do not realize that the videos in Youtube are not the original source files from the camera, they are 4k resolution but have been re-converted to mp4 using a very low bitrate, so obviously they will not cut it.
    And what are you going to change the cloud? For that to be able to import losslessly and have multiple users?
    PS Try to raise record in VP9.
    Quote Quote  
  3. @ Jamaika .... I am sorry but i cannot understand any of your reply, so i need you to explain it all in a way that i can understand.

Maybe your englih is not very good and you may not understand what i am asking for.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    so i was wondering if anyone knows of a website that holds 4k video samples (direct from the camera) .....
    There are a few original samples from the GH4 and the Blackmagic 4K camera on this site : http://www.dvc.uk.com/acatalog/4K-sample-footage.html
    Only short ones... and some are much more useful than others (the Brighton Pier ones seem to be just a fixed (no motion) image sequence, for example?

There are some others here: http://4ksamples.com/category/4k/ which seem quite good. At least you can see the exact details of each file as a reference point...and there's quite a selection of sample rates..

When it comes to editing them, I wouldn't even try with my i5 and old editing programs. So I just convert to a usable intermediate format. (Grass Valley HQX seems to work well.. and that is now a free codec.....)

Much larger files than the originals of course, but HQX produces good quality intermediate files, which are easy to edit in Virtualdub for example.

Certainly a lot cheaper for me than buying a new machine... especially as I'm only 'playing around' with 4K at this stage....
    Last edited by pippas; 2nd Aug 2015 at 05:21.
    Quote Quote  
  5. EDIT: I read the thread title and had assumed you meant any 4K raw footage. But I think you actually mean XAVC-S footage specifically?....

Sorry about my error there.

You can find raw XAVC-S footage here: http://nofilmschool.com/2013/10/first-4k-footage-sony-fdr-ax1 As you can see the password is simply 'J' and then you can download the original footage.

THIS SAMPLE is also very impressive (not XAVC-S but RED EPIC and Sony F65). Playing that back on my i5 2500k machine absolutely maxs out the CPU. Looks great though - and much easier to cope with once converted to an intermediate format....

Not exactly the comprehensive selection you're looking for......... but it's a start!
    Last edited by pippas; 2nd Aug 2015 at 05:55.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    EDITYou can find raw XAVC-S footage here: http://nofilmschool.com/2013/10/first-4k-footage-sony-fdr-ax1 As you can see the password is simply 'J' and then you can download the original footage.
    Sorry i should have mentioned before that i already have the 3 files from that link, however only the 5 minute Market video was XAVC-S at 75Mbps, the other 2 were 1080p at 5 and 6Mbps

They were shot on a Sony FDR-AX1, which was going to be my choice of 4k camera, simply because i think that this particular video clip is the nicest 4k video i have seen so far from a normal dedicated video cam, and i adore the look of it, but now the Panasonic DVX200 has been released with a bigger 4/3 sensor, i really want to wait to get some raw 150Mbps XAVCS from that, as well as some 200Mbps 1080/50p All-Intra that it also shoots in

I cannot download any of those files from the BMCC and GH4 from the link you posted, they start out ok then just crash.

I also have a 4k/25p XAVC-S file from a panasonic FZ1000 camera at 95Mbps which is nice.

Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    THIS SAMPLE is also very impressive (not XAVC-S but RED EPIC and Sony F65). Playing that back on my i5 2500k machine absolutely maxs out the CPU. Looks great though - and much easier to cope with once converted to an intermediate format....
    Yes i did get the files from the dvc.uk link, but not very impressed with most of them, the Fireworks one is 100Mbps, but to me it almost looks like an animation video, didnt like it at all, but i will use it to test my editing with for sure, but the other ones i got from that site i wont bother with, they were edited and output at much lower bitrates.

I Do prefer samples that were taken direct from the card in the camera, the way the video was shot, anything else is not giving me a true indication of what to expect, especially in the edit phase.

I think given that i will almost definately be getting a cam that shoots 4k/50p XAVC-S @ 150Mbps, and possibly 1080/50p All-Intra @ 200Mbps (as per the DVX200) it might be time to create a thread to seek opinions about the best way to edit XAVC-S and ALL-Intra Video.

cheers
    Last edited by glenpinn; 2nd Aug 2015 at 07:05.
    Quote Quote  
  7. 4K Demo Video Downloads

www.4k2160psources.blogspot.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	365.8 KB
ID:	38598Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	38599
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	288.7 KB
ID:	38596  

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	38597  

Last edited by Betta Splendens; 20th Sep 2016 at 13:23.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Try here http://www.download4k.info. There is a list of 4K samples sources, available for free download.
    Quote Quote