VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have an old 'Argosy HV 676' media player, a really small unit 5 volts reads only external stored media. One issue, really not a big problem is some images are read by it & it displays their 'thumbs' but it will not display them. The graphics I 'play' with are first converted to bitmaps then I use PaintDotNet to modify/crop/etc, them. I also use 'Graphics Workshop Pro' <- and with this, Mspaint, also. Images are cropped to 16-9 aspect ratio, (or close to) The Argosy only recognizes JPG images, so the last thing I do is convert to jpg. Argosy connected to Samsung 28" T28D310, tho its not the tv, its the player, does this on any tv its connected to, when it does it.
    The images NOT displayed (probably less than 1%), I go back to the bmp image and crop again from say 1600x900 sized to say 1572x884 or whatever smaller size 'or larger when the background is solid colored', just maintaining the 16-9 aspect ratio. (then back to jpg)
    So far, this has always worked to fix the issue.

What it is, is, Does anyone have an explanation for this sort of glitch??

Argosy is out of the business of media players, & while they still have firmware & manuals for some of these products, they do not respond to any querys about their products.

I use it 99% for slide shows.

I really love this player, hdmi out, you could put it in your shirt pocket, it plays iso's dvd files mpg's mp3's etc from thumb drives, most memory cards with readers, 2.5 usb hdd's 3.5 usbs 'with their own power source'. etc, best of all, has only 20 buttons on the remote.

Now I'm rambling -c-
    Last edited by cornemuse; 30th Jul 2015 at 09:50. Reason: feng shui
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Determine what characteristics the files that do not display properly have in common

e.g. are they a certain resolution ? a certain subsampling or format (jpeg supports a wide variety of chroma formats, colorspaces, bit depths, and subsampling options) . Or maybe even vs odd resolutions e.g. 1572px might work but 1571px might fail

It's probably not a "glitch" , but a limitation of the hardware decoder. It probably doesn't support some characteristics of the files that don't work
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Determine what characteristics the files that do not display properly have in common
    I checked, all the images in question are 2560x1440 (16-9). However, not all 2560x1440 images are at issue, most are displayed.

Color rez the same (highest) for all images.

What else?

-c-
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    File size. Not all images at a given resolution are the same size.

Your steps to save to a different format and then resave as a jpg will affect compression and not just resolution.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. And filenames - check for special characters, spaces, and length
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Heres another 'thing'. I found another no-show which was 1280x720, exactly 1/2 size of the other no-shos, but the majority of 1280x720 files do display.

(Not that many images this small, needed a particular image & only had at that lower size)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try a different image software. I recommend Irfanview (free).

Just for clarification, the problem is only with displaying image files? If so, try another graphic app as noted.

And not that it matters at this point, but this is not related to a HTPC (ie: this board).
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote