VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 386
Thread
  1. Late last night marked the official release of Windows 10, a free upgrade for anyone already running Windows 7 or Windows 8:

    https://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/07/28/windows-10-free-upgrade-available...untries-today/

    which makes it tantalizing. But if you are like me, you hate upgrading your OS and prefer doing clean installs. And OTOH, I have so much software installed on my computer for video production (much of it not well documented), I am nervous about how painful it will be as I find stuff missing or worse, doesn't work under Windows 10.

    So who here is taking the plunge? How are you liking it?

    UPDATE: The free upgrade for Windows 10 officially ended July 29, 2016. However, Microsoft is still offering free Windows 10 upgrades for individuals using assistive technologies. Microsoft has not given a deadline on when this offer will end. And according to Redmond, it is not intended as a workaround for those who do not use assistive technologies. Therefore, Windows 10 now costs $119 for Home and $199 for Pro.
    Last edited by SameSelf; 30th Aug 2016 at 17:29.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Sweden
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to test a new installation on my macbook (using dual boot/boot camp). But can I do that for free/trial?

    I know I can upgrade my windows 7 pro for free but I would like to test a new installation first.
    Quote Quote  
  3. No idea honestly. I am sure like most installations, the licensing is tied to the hardware. Unless your W7 license is tied to your macbook. Then I would say, go for it. MS does offer a clean install version versus an upgrade that I am sure you could configure with a dual boot.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    I installed the final Windows 10 preview in a VM. I'm not impressed enough overall to bother with upgrading and there are some things I really don't like about it.

    I don't want to use a voice interface with my PC and turned Cortana off immediately. The tiles on the Start menu waste space. I prefer a simple text-based apps list. It isn't possible to avoid installing any Windows Updates (even non-critical ones) if you are using Windows 10 Home, which is what I would be upgrading to. Windows 10 Professional allows control over non-critical updates but costs an additional $99, unless someone already has Windows 7 Pro or Windows 8.x Pro. I'm also a Windows Media Center user. I'm not going to be giving up WMC until I must or until there is a good alternative which is CableLabs approved to use with my CableCARD tuner.

    [Edit]Oh I forgot to mention that there are no libraries in Windows 10. I realize some here may think that is a good thing, but I used and liked the library feature.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Jul 2015 at 12:09.
    Quote Quote  
  5. ^Did you try this tool? I have not heard if it works for non Pro versions. But I agree, not being able to turn off updates stinks.

    http://www.windowscentral.com/dont-want-mandatory-windows-10-updates-microsoft-has-tool-block-some
    Quote Quote  
  6. (Edit: SameSelf, I hadn't seen the tool you linked to above. When/if I try Win10, I'll check it out.)

    Why it's not unconditionally free is a complete mystery to me. Microsoft want everybody running it to make their life much easier, yet it's only free if you're running Win7 or Win8. Why it doesn't apply to XP or Vista users seems very illogical to me (I'm still running XP).

    What concerns me the most is being expected to trust Microsoft. For most users, it'd no longer be possible to stop Windows from updating itself, and for me that's a major problem. Aside from Microsoft being able to do pretty much whatever they like to my OS, what happens if an update breaks software I'm using? If you're an XP or Vista user you can sign up for the Windows Preview program and get a free copy that way, but then you're forced to install updates before they're released to the general public. Enterprise users are at least allowed to postpone updates for a period of time (I can't remember if they can block them completely), and Microsoft freely state that's so Enterprise users can ensure updates have been fully tested by those running Windows 10 on their personal PCs before installing them in an enterprise environment. So "free" means you're forced to test Microsoft's software for them, one way or another.

    My router has a built in firewall, which is a pain to configure (like most hardware firewalls as soon as you enable them, often some software/hardware is unable to connect to the internet), but it might be possible to configure it to block any PCs on the network from conversing with Windows Update. I haven't looked into that possibility yet, but most home routers don't have configurable firewalls. And if my router stopped working and I needed to connect directly to the internet....

    As soon as Skylake CPUs are released, which I think is only weeks away, I'll be building a new PC. The chipset drivers only support Win7 or newer, so I've got to install a newer version than XP. Fortunately I have a never-before used copy of Win7 a friend gave me (she bought it to upgrade a PC but replaced the whole computer instead and it had Win7 installed) and while I know it's not the latest and greatest, it'll be supported for four or five years yet, so I'm seriously considering Win7 for the moment while I wait for the Win10 dust to settle, and I suspect there'll be a lot of it. I might install Win10 on one of the old PCs to play around with it after I've built the new one, which will mean I'll become a beta tester of software before it's released to the general public for further testing before enterprise users have to install it, but trusting Microsoft enough to put Win10 on my main computer? I don't think I'm even close to being there yet.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 29th Jul 2015 at 12:15.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Oh, man, this isn't good. ZDNet is one of the biggest MS bumpers out there (I am convinced some of their writers must be paid by MS). But after one week, Mary Jo Foley is sour on W10:

    "After one week, what's my verdict? I like Windows 10 a lot more than I liked Windows 8 or 8.1. But I'm still not entirely sold on putting it on my main desktop PC -- a 22-inch Dell Optiplex that doesn't support touch."

    http://www.zdnet.com/article/goodbye-windows-8-hello-windows-10/
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Why it's not unconditionally free is a complete mystery to me. Microsoft want everybody running it to make their life much easier, yet it's only free if you're running Win7 or Win8. Why it doesn't apply to XP or Vista users seems very illogical to me (I'm still running XP).

    As soon as Skylake CPUs are released, which I think is only weeks away, I'll be building a new PC. The chipset drivers only support Win7 or newer, so I've got to install a newer version than XP. Fortunately I have a never-before used copy of Win7 a friend gave me (she bought it to upgrade a PC but replaced the whole computer instead and it had Win7 installed) and while I know it's not the latest and greatest, it'll be supported for four or five years yet, so I'm seriously considering Win7 for the moment while I wait for the Win10 dust to settle, and I suspect there'll be a lot of it. I might install Win10 on one of the old PCs to play around with it after I've built the new one, which will mean I'll become a beta tester of software before it's released to the general public for further testing before enterprise users have to install it, but trusting Microsoft enough to put Win10 on my main computer? I don't think I'm even close to being there yet.
    You're not the only one. MS is the only company left that charges for its OS. Good on you for building a new PC once Skylake is released. That is my plan too for 2016. Hopefully W10 will have matured by then to make the great leap.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    ^Did you try this tool? I have not heard if it works for non Pro versions. But I agree, not being able to turn off updates stinks.

    http://www.windowscentral.com/dont-want-mandatory-windows-10-updates-microsoft-has-tool-block-some
    Thanks. I downloaded the tool and it installed in the Windows 10 VM. I haven't tested it yet, but if it works it will be better than nothing.

    [Edit]Hmm. All this time I thought I was running the Home version of Windows 10, but according to System Information, the Insider Preview is the Pro version. ...so the fact that the tool installed for me doesn't mean much for Home users.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Jul 2015 at 12:41.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Last month I replaced a motherboard and did a clean Win8 install, now 8.1 - that let me abandon five years' accumulated rubbish in my Win7 Program folders - so I'm in a good situation to move to Win10. I'm going to wait a while so that any early problems can be fixed.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post

    You're not the only one. MS is the only company left that charges for its OS. Good on you for building a new PC once Skylake is released. That is my plan too for 2016. Hopefully W10 will have matured by then to make the great leap.
    Apple is a hardware company and can figure in the cost of their OS when they price their hardware. Sure there are hackintoshes, but the practice is strongly discouraged by Apple. So far, the only PC hardware Microsoft sells are the various Surface tablets.

    Everything else I can think of is freeware with development supported by user donations'

    [Edit]Oops. I forgot about Chrome OS. Google has other ways of generating revenue when you use the web so I guess they can afford to give it away for free.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Jul 2015 at 19:45.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    this new PC is only 8 weeks old with win 8.1
    my internet is verizon cellular data
    No Way ... am i updating to win 10 and forced updates

    be very careful
    i was reading that those tools stop the system from implementing the update
    BUT they don't stop the update from downloading
    i'm not spending my data on MS updates
    i want my netflix and Amazon video streams
    Quote Quote  
  13. Lot's of people ranting about the lack of turning off updates. I understand your gripe. But I was hoping this thread would be more productive. That is, who has experience editing/encoding video on a Windows 10 box? How was your workflow impacted? Does Adobe Creative Suite run ok? What about ffmpeg, x264, x265?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Lot's of people ranting about the lack of turning off updates. I understand your gripe. But I was hoping this thread would be more productive. That is, who has experience editing/encoding video on a Windows 10 box? How was your workflow impacted? Does Adobe Creative Suite run ok? What about ffmpeg, x264, x265?
    Sorry, but my VM installation is minimal. I wanted to learn about the OS itself and I don't have enough HDD space to install all the software I use on my main PC. I don't use Adobe or any of the other true pro video suites anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Lot's of people ranting about the lack of turning off updates. I understand your gripe. But I was hoping this thread would be more productive. That is, who has experience editing/encoding video on a Windows 10 box? How was your workflow impacted? Does Adobe Creative Suite run ok? What about ffmpeg, x264, x265?
    How do you know any answer you receive now will still be applicable after Microsoft forces some updates on the OS in the future?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    In front of my monitor
    Search Comp PM
    So what are people using now for an MPEG codec now that Windows 10 (and maybe Windows 8 before it, never used Windows 8 so don't know) doesn't have its own MPEG codec support?

    I know VLC can play DVD's but I'm thinking what about HDTV recording software, like NextPVR and Easy HDTV DVR, which require an MPEG-2 codec on the PC?

    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    I read another post on this site weeks ago that the free upgrade voids the prior license. If that is true then that's enough of a turnoff for me.

    Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    (Edit: SameSelf, I hadn't seen the tool you linked to above. When/if I try Win10, I'll check it out.)

    Why it's not unconditionally free is a complete mystery to me. Microsoft want everybody running it to make their life much easier, yet it's only free if you're running Win7 or Win8. Why it doesn't apply to XP or Vista users seems very illogical to me (I'm still running XP).

    What concerns me the most is being expected to trust Microsoft. For most users, it'd no longer be possible to stop Windows from updating itself, and for me that's a major problem. Aside from Microsoft being able to do pretty much whatever they like to my OS, what happens if an update breaks software I'm using? If you're an XP or Vista user you can sign up for the Windows Preview program and get a free copy that way, but then you're forced to install updates before they're released to the general public. Enterprise users are at least allowed to postpone updates for a period of time (I can't remember if they can block them completely), and Microsoft freely state that's so Enterprise users can ensure updates have been fully tested by those running Windows 10 on their personal PCs before installing them in an enterprise environment. So "free" means you're forced to test Microsoft's software for them, one way or another.

    My router has a built in firewall, which is a pain to configure (like most hardware firewalls as soon as you enable them, often some software/hardware is unable to connect to the internet), but it might be possible to configure it to block any PCs on the network from conversing with Windows Update. I haven't looked into that possibility yet, but most home routers don't have configurable firewalls. And if my router stopped working and I needed to connect directly to the internet....

    As soon as Skylake CPUs are released, which I think is only weeks away, I'll be building a new PC. The chipset drivers only support Win7 or newer, so I've got to install a newer version than XP. Fortunately I have a never-before used copy of Win7 a friend gave me (she bought it to upgrade a PC but replaced the whole computer instead and it had Win7 installed) and while I know it's not the latest and greatest, it'll be supported for four or five years yet, so I'm seriously considering Win7 for the moment while I wait for the Win10 dust to settle, and I suspect there'll be a lot of it. I might install Win10 on one of the old PCs to play around with it after I've built the new one, which will mean I'll become a beta tester of software before it's released to the general public for further testing before enterprise users have to install it, but trusting Microsoft enough to put Win10 on my main computer? I don't think I'm even close to being there yet.
    Microsoft does not mind if someone uses a pirated copy of windows 7 and upgrades, according to their representative:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/03/19/why-microsoft-is-giving-away-windows...10-to-pirates/

    I realize that doesn't solve other issues like automatic updating though. I agree, that will be a pain in the neck.

    I installed Windows 10 my computer seems a little slower now. Going to switch back to linux
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
    So what are people using now for an MPEG codec now that Windows 10 (and maybe Windows 8 before it, never used Windows 8 so don't know) doesn't have its own MPEG codec support?

    I know VLC can play DVD's but I'm thinking what about HDTV recording software, like NextPVR and Easy HDTV DVR, which require an MPEG-2 codec on the PC?

    Thanks!
    Some of my capture devices and TV tuner cards come with software or drivers that provided decoders which NextPVR found and added to its decoder lists. Some people are using ffdshow and LAV filters.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Since 2001 this has worked for me. Probably use it for another 15 years.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	4054
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	32909  

    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    Since 2001 this has worked for me. Probably use it for another 15 years.
    how do you do that in windows 10
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    canada
    Search Comp PM
    Is auto-arranged permanent or can it be turned off like in winxp and vista?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Is auto-arranged permanent or can it be turned off like in winxp and vista?
    Auto-arrange can't be turned off unless you apply a hack. http://winaero.com/blog/disable-auto-arrange-in-folders-in-windows-10-windows-8-and-windows-7/
    Quote Quote  
  24. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    canada
    Search Comp PM
    Cool,i hacked win7 registry to turn off auto-arrange,good to know that it can still be hacked,i did a google search for windows 10 auto-arrange but nothing shows up for any info on it,thanks for the link.I made this thread a sticky in case other people were looking for tips and offering theirs.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 10 (imho) is a total scam. A refurbished version of Windows 8.1, and the core o.s. goes back to 2007, when Vista was introduced. It's not "free" as Microsoft claims, you have a year after installation to pay them $120 to get a license key. If you're using Windows 7 or 8, or 8.1 and are happy, don't bother with the upgrade. First you have to "register", then download an install file, then download a 3.1 GB copy of Windows 10 either to a thumb drive or .iso CD. You get the option of 'upgrading', i.e., keeping your current settings for Win 7 or 8, or doing a complete fresh install of the new o.s.
    I tried the entire procedure on an older HP dv 6000 series laptop, that I had previously upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate, formatted the hdd and installed Win 10 Pro.
    It took quite a while, and ALREADY there were security updates for Win 10. Really ? For me, the new browser was annoying to use, I had a hard time finding things that used to be so simple, like creating a Restore Point, or adding a "Favorite" to the browser. Seems to me like Microsoft wants total control of our computers, which I find annoying. Oh..... and to get older drivers to work, I had to download Vista software from HP and use Compatibility mode to make them work correctly. The generic video driver that Microsoft installed was dated 2006. At least with Win 7, just using Windows Update, you'd get updated drivers. This didn't work with Win 10Probably if I had just done a "upgrade" to the previous o.s., the drivers would have remained intact. For informational purposes, I've been installing Windows operating systems on my equipment since Windows 98. I STILL have machines running.... XP, Vista, 7, 8.1 and now 10. Can't say I'm really all that impressed....Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-31 16.32.42.jpg
Views:	4052
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	32921Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-31 16.25.47.jpg
Views:	4104
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	32922Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-31 16.26.30.jpg
Views:	4035
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	32923Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-31 16.34.19.jpg
Views:	3963
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	32924
    Quote Quote  
  26. I upgraded a Dell laptop which is primarily just for light web surfing and email, Windows 10 upgraded from 7 without a problem. I didn't have to disable BitDefender AV or anything else for that matter.

    I upgraded my home built tower computer and ran into an issue, it was setup with two display adapters for a dual monitor setup, I had to remove the one display card, update the graphics drivers and Windows 10 upgraded without any problem.

    I'm running Windows 10 Home 32 bit, Virtualdub, AviUtl, and the plethora of other software I have works just fine. Plex, Playon, these media servers work just fine.

    It was easy to set my default browser to whatever I wanted as default, you are not locked into running Edge. Use Firefox, Chrome, Opera, whatever you want.

    Windows 10 looks and acts a lot more like Windows 7 than Windows 8, it looks to me like a great deal of the changes won't be noticed by many of you, I think Microsoft put a lot of effort and time into whats under the hood.

    So far, I like it, I leave the tower pc run all the time as it serves up media to my Roku's and Bluray players, so far, knock on wood, completely stable.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  27. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    canada
    Search Comp PM
    I installed window 10 pro yesterday and tweaked it to what i like,the only complaints i found was the taskbar color was too dark and none of the other colors lightened it up with just 20 color selections and none in the light range.

    The other thing i found was neither icaros or the other icon tool worked to give mkv thumbnail images,can't remember the other icon tool since i'm not at my computer.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like my fun with windows 10 is over. My Windows 10 VM experienced a problem from which it could not recover and I had to re-install Windows 10. I used a the ISO for the Windows Insider version of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit that I had saved on my PC, but the Insider license key I used originally for that would not pass validation. It looks like I'd need to buy Windows 10 or upgrade the OS on one of my PCs to have a key that passes validation, even for the Insider program. I'm not willing to do either of those things at this point.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    canada
    Search Comp PM
    You need to install windows 10 as an upgrade from either win7 or win8 and it will activate properly,if you did a clean install before doing this then there's no way you can validate it with a separate key code,I installed clean and found that out so i reinstalled win7 and upgraded to win8 which i bought for $40.

    In doing that i was able to install win10 pro,can't do that with win7 premium,and in doing that i was able to get win10 pro activated.I know you didn't go through this route but i posted it so other people don't make the same mistake.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Lone soldier Cauptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brazil
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by joecass View Post
    Windows 10 (imho) is a total scam. A refurbished version of Windows 8.1, and the core o.s. goes back to 2007, when Vista was introduced. It's not "free" as Microsoft claims, you have a year after installation to pay them $120 to get a license key. If you're using Windows 7 or 8, or 8.1 and are happy, don't bother with the upgrade.
    Its not true.

    If your license is legal, run CMD and type the command: slmgr.vbs -XPR

    Its show your validate license.

    My W10 is permanent:




    If my license was pirate, its show that screen:



    W10 is very nice on my machine. No error at moment (17 days, 24/24), all softwares runing perfect (Vegas, Acrobat pro, Virtualdub, Serviio, Action!, RIPBOT264...)




    Claudio
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads