VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alex_ander View Post
    Claudio, I have some questions for you:

1. I have currently upgraded to 10 from my legal 8.1 but would like to make a clean W10 installation using ISO (same system type - home, single language) I've downloaded from MS. Will it get activated on the same PC without web connection, if I instead use the new key for Windows 10 from my previous 'upgrade' installation (copied as you mentioned earlier)?

2. What will happen to my laptop's hidden recovery partitions at fresh installation from booted image: will they remain and if they will, then will I still be able to recover the older system from HDD? Will I keep the opportunity to activate both W10 (if I re-install it with its own key, currently provided) and the W8.1 bought with my laptop? MS says going back to older OS is only possible within a month, does it mean they'll permanently reset activation opportunity for the older OS on the same machine or is it just limited for Windows recovery option (to reset the upgrade installation: W10-> older system)?

Thanks in advance,
    Alexander
    Hi Alexander, sorry for delay in my response.

1 - After upgrade, on clean Install no necessary any key. Just access internet because MS need validated your machine. Not tested without internet access. If you wish, I will try and reply.

2 - Multiples answers:

A) To keep your Recovery Partitions, you should install on LEGACY mode and not UEFI mode.

B) Yes, because your machine will full activated on Ms servers.

C) This answer I dont know.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was part of the Insider program, so my copy automatically became an official copy of Win 10 Pro, and so far I've been very impressed with it. AFAIC, it's a quantum improvement over 8.x. Unfortunately, it has two major disappointments for me right now:

1. Quick Sync no longer works in any of my Pegasys products. To be fair, nobody out there seems to have Quick Sync anymore either.

2. Second, and most important, I've lost Windows Media Center 8. Yes, it was cranky, unreliable and you almost could never be sure you had the right EPG data, but in its defense, it was the only product out there that would let you record and play back premium cable channels like HBO. Not to mention it was a hell of a lot easier to get working than NextPVR. I can only hope that the upcoming return of SageTV is a lot easier to set up and use, and that someone comes up with a universal, PC-friendly replacement for PlayReady...Shyeah, right.,..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Destroy Windows 10 Spying - Windows Tracking Disable Tool

Instructions

1. Download run.exe below
    2. Right click on 'run.exe' and press "Run as Administrator"
    3. Choose any/all of the options you'd like
    4. Press "Go Private!"
    5. You can read the output at the bottom to see if it worked.
    6. That's it!
    You can read the license at Info>About

RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR!

I cannot stress this enough, not running the program as an administrator will result in none of the tweaks being applied.

Link: Windows Tracking Disable 1.5

PS: Tested on my machine, no virus found.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone running windows 10 having issues with the latest update KB 3081424?It gets up to 30% and then the computer restarts and goes from 30 to 59% and restarts and tries again and then says "We couldn't complete the updates, undoing the changes." and takes about 10 minutes to get back up.

I read in a few forums were people are having the exact same issue and one fix is to delete bogus profiles in the registry,this method doesn't apply to my system,just seeing anyone has this problem.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Did you try to run Troubleshooting wizard and scan for update problems? Open Search and start typing troubleshooting. Open Troubleshooting control and panel and click to Fix problems with Windows update.

Edit:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-cumulative-update-kb3081424-fails-to-install...p-488638.shtml
    Last edited by Detmek; 11th Aug 2015 at 06:21.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Anyone running windows 10 having issues with the latest update KB 3081424?It gets up to 30% and then the computer restarts and goes from 30 to 59% and restarts and tries again and then says "We couldn't complete the updates, undoing the changes." and takes about 10 minutes to get back up.

I read in a few forums were people are having the exact same issue and one fix is to delete bogus profiles in the registry,this method doesn't apply to my system,just seeing anyone has this problem.
    LOL! And this is another perfect reason why forced updates are terrible idea. 2 weeks after release and BANG! Right in your face. Next time your OS won't boot at all. Upgrade my ass
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Detmek View Post
    Did you try to run Troubleshooting wizard and scan for update problems? Open Search and start typing troubleshooting. Open Troubleshooting control and panel and click to Fix problems with Windows update.

Edit:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-cumulative-update-kb3081424-fails-to-install...p-488638.shtml
    Did all that before finding out it's an update issue that affects some computers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No problem with any update on my computers (6 at all).

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  9. I upgraded all my machines, but I made dual-boot-systems (upgraded from insider preview), so I don't have to upgrade my good Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit licences. Not happy with Win 10 now. Too much programs not working properly.
    We'll see what we must pay for future upgrades ...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Anyone running windows 10 having issues with the latest update KB 3081424?It gets up to 30% and then the computer restarts and goes from 30 to 59% and restarts and tries again and then says "We couldn't complete the updates, undoing the changes." and takes about 10 minutes to get back up.

actually it is not only windows 10 problem it happened to me on windows 8.1 and windows 7. It can make pc don't boot at all and reinstall windows, my solution was to enter safe mode (if you can) and delete windows update recent downloaded files it is much easier in programs like wise disk cleaner or alike and restart again in normal mode or use custom boot in windows boot
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It happens with newer updates as well,somehow it installs the files after failing.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Last edited by Jamaika; 14th Aug 2015 at 03:03.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Egads, if QT doesn't work I am dead in the water. Nearly all my video masters are authored in ProRes these days using my Atomos Ninja.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Egads, if QT doesn't work I am dead in the water. Nearly all my video masters are authored in ProRes these days using my Atomos Ninja.
    Coincidentally, I used this method (the more complicated one) just this morning:
    http://tommynation.com/install-quicktime-windows-10/

It works. Be sure to reboot before using QT.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I copied the fix and still shows the error in 2229. ):
    Quote Quote  
  16. Did you run this command "msiexec /i QuickTime.msi /qn TRANSFORMS=FIX.mst ALLUSERS=1 /log C:\QT\install.log" from elevated Command Prompt? Or try method 1.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Lack of success.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Upgrade from version 7 to 10... Slow loading system On the Internet write that many are faced with a similar slowdown after the upgrade.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hydra3333 View Post
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    If you've upgraded to Windows 10 then Microsoft could be using your PC - and your internet connection - to silently send Windows updates to others.
    Bloody hell.

Using my internet to deliver their software to others is turned on by default ?

Do M$ know that most of Australia has strongly usage capped internet plans ?
    Many plans just slow speed nowadays once over the cap, but at one time people did get bills in their $hundreds and $thousands for unwitting usage over the cap ... so many plain Aus mums and dads will either wonder why their internet has gone pith slow or get extra usage bills. What a nightmare. If it is on by default then that'd be a Yank culture centric setting I suppose.

Need do some googling to see what else I have to search for and turn off.
    Well well. Microsoft did in fact cause people to receive $500 bills for over-cap usage from M$ Windows 10 automatic updates

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/fears-windows-10-will-blow-data-caps-2015...17-gj0i98.html
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Egads, if QT doesn't work I am dead in the water. Nearly all my video masters are authored in ProRes these days using my Atomos Ninja.
    Coincidentally, I used this method (the more complicated one) just this morning:
    http://tommynation.com/install-quicktime-windows-10/

It works. Be sure to reboot before using QT.
    Wow, that is a great find. Definitely bookmarking that link for when I take the plunge. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by hydra3333 View Post
    Well well. Microsoft did in fact cause people to receive $500 bills for over-cap usage from M$ Windows 10 automatic updates

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/fears-windows-10-will-blow-data-caps-2015...17-gj0i98.html
    Sounds like many ISP CEO's are smiling with the roll out of W10. Of course the apologists say, the reason the world is awash with botnets is because people are too dumb or lazy (take your pick) to keep their OS updated. So MS has decided to force everyone's hand which should make the internets a safer place to play. lolololol
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hi everyone, well after reading almost every single post in this thread, i cannot believe how much Mis-Information has been posted by a small handful of posters about how this new Windows 10 Upgrade and Activation really works, and it is very clear that some people are just getting more confused by some of the information that has been posted that is not actually correct.

Anyway, all that aside, i have now decided to post up a new Thread of my own which is dedicated to Windows 10, covering the following 4 topics, all based on my own Testing over the past 3 weeks on 2 of my own Dell laptops.

This very same Thread was one that i originally created for another forum that i am a member of, and so i would like to share the info with members of this forum as well, and hope that it will help guide members thru the various processes.

1. Carrying out the Windows 10 Upgrade
    2. Doing a Custom Installation
    3. Doing a System Reset from within the Windows 10 recovery console
    4. Destroying the Microsoft Security issues using O&O ShutUp10

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/374092-Windows-10-Upgrading-Custom-Install-System-Reset

The Thread is broken up into those 4 parts, and in Parts 1, 2 & 3 i provide a link to a folder in my Dropbox account containing step by step images that i took during each of those 3 processes, just to make it easier for those of you who might want them to help you thru each process.

Cheers
    Last edited by glenpinn; 14th Sep 2015 at 10:25.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    You need to install windows 10 as an upgrade from either win7 or win8 and it will activate properly,if you did a clean install before doing this then there's no way you can validate it with a separate key code,I installed clean and found that out so i reinstalled win7 and upgraded to win8 which i bought for $40.
    This is exactly right, you MUST do the Upgrade first to get the permanent Activation set in place for your computer/laptop on the Microsoft activation service, then once this is done, you can then do custom installs onto that machine any time you like, and activation will be automatic, and when you run the custom installation, you just skip the Serial Key part.

My new thread covers this aspect in detail.

Yes, but Windows 10 product key, which does not exist right now.
    nor will you ever need one in the future if you take up this free Upgrade path.

Login with Microsoft account (create one if you don't have) and that will link your PC to your MS account. Next time you re-intall, log in with MS account and Windows should retrive activation from your MS account.
    So far, anyone who upgraded Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1 and linked it with MS account could perform clean installation of Windows 10 and got Windows 10 activated as soon as logged in with MS account.
    Why are you offering all this stuff about logging into your MS Account during installation and that will be used to activate your windows 10 installation.

You do not need any Microsoft Account, and it certainly has absolutely nothing to do with any of this windows 10 activation.

The free permanent Activation can only be gained by first doing the Upgrade, which is carried out from your current windows desktop, and before the windows 10 installation begins, the Upgrade setup will dial back to the windows activation server to validate your current windows is legit, then your computer will re-start and begin the windows 10 installation, and there is no serial key screen, you skip the MS login screen (again you do not need this) and the activation is set in place automatically because your computer ID was validated before setup began, and your computer ID is now set in place in the windows activation server, so whenever you do any future installations, you just skip the 2 Serial Key screens, you skip the MS Account login screen, and your windows 10 will be activated when you get to the new desktop.

If you go to my new thread (link is below) dealing with the Windows 10 installations, you can see in Part 2 (custom installation) that i skipped the Serial Key screens, and i skipped the MS account login, and my Windows 10 custom installation was already activated (look at my screenshots in the Dropbox link in part 2)

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/374092-Windows-10-Upgrading-Custom-Install-System-Reset
    Last edited by glenpinn; 14th Sep 2015 at 09:49.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    As to Baldricks question you can install windows 10 for a 30day trial period without any keys.
    Yes, you can get a 30 day free trial period for Windows 10 without entering a key during installation, but this will only apply to those people who choose not to do the Upgrade and just run a full custom installation instead, but once the 30 days id over, you would be prompted to input a valid windows 10 key to activate it, which means you must buy a genuine license.

If you do the Upgrade first, then your computer ID will be logged in the MS Activation server and your computer is given the free lifetime activation.

This is why i tell everyone to do the Upgrade at some time before july 2016 because it is free forever on the machine you upgrade from.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After all known and unknown spying features Win10 has I think I'd rather switch to Linux than to allow this abomination any near my hardware .
    I don't see any magical features it can offer I can't live without.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you go online with anything and you are being spied upon. even mozilla just introduced spyware into the firefox browser itself to serve up customized ads. i don't see m$ as any different than any other net connected company, and you have to expect some sort of ad supporting spyware since they didn't charge anything for the software.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  27. Those who don't want it, don't install it, but what turns me off is all the scaremongering paranoia being spread by the very people who claim they won't be using it.

Sometimes it just gets a bit too much to have to put up with, and besides, microsoft was dialing your info back to their servers years ago, only now they install a lot of security stuff in Win 10 that you can disable, if you know how to, and as aedipuss has said, microsoft is not the only company doing this, far from it in fact.

Anyway, life goes on, and i am certainly not going to avoid Windows 10 myself, because i know how to deal with it, and i will also keep pushing others to use it as well sometime in the future.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If Microsoft is going to use your information for advertisers, etc, they should pay YOU for using their Win 10, not the other way around.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by AllisOne View Post
    I don't use Win10, but I've found a few links that may be useful:

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/14/comparison-of-windows-10-privacy-tools/ - the list is updated from time to time

https://github.com/WindowsLies/BlockWindows - for Win7 - 10

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/10appsmanager-windows-10
    Thank you, i will add those links to my new Windows 10 Installation Thread

Quote Quote