VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    You can't activate any previous version of windows to another computer as long as you are using the upgraded version on another computer,you can go back to the previous versions that were tied to the computer they were activated with as long as you didn't change the computer and activate it on that one.

In other words all copies of windows are tied to one computer that they were activated for,it's like trying to sell software with a legitimate code to more than one person.
    Agreed.

I was trying to see if Cauptain had a problem breaking the bonds of the original win7 install and Win10 upgrade on a VM. If he uninstalled the Win10 VM and then tried to re-install the Win7 OS on a different computer (a real computer not a VM which could be mistaken for the same machine my MS) but the key was rejected then I would definitely be concerned because that's the situation I would fear. Since I know for sure my Win8 license is transferable, locking my Pro license to an old PC is not worth the risk. Until I know that this won't happen for a fact I can't do a full registered test upgrade. I've been reading a lot on the Microsoft answer forums and there is massive confusion. The same experts answer 3 different ways within a few post. People post that they called MS and after long waits got conflicting responses depending on who they got from one day to the next.
    Last edited by gll99; 2nd Aug 2015 at 04:02.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Actually, he didn't try his windows 7 key on real PC after using it in WM. He tried to restore licence from backup he created with pkeyuibx after upgrade to Windows 10.

I didn't know about Personal Licence builder. But, if one can transfer his OEM licence from one PC to another what is the point of more expensive Retail licence?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    Originally Posted by joecass View Post
    Windows 10 (imho) is a total scam. A refurbished version of Windows 8.1, and the core o.s. goes back to 2007, when Vista was introduced. It's not "free" as Microsoft claims, you have a year after installation to pay them $120 to get a license key. If you're using Windows 7 or 8, or 8.1 and are happy, don't bother with the upgrade.
    Its not true.

If your license is legal, run CMD and type the command: slmgr.vbs -XPR

Its show your validate license.

My W10 is permanent:

If my license was pirate, its show that screen:

W10 is very nice on my machine. No error at moment (17 days, 24/24), all softwares runing perfect (Vegas, Acrobat pro, Virtualdub, Serviio, Action!, RIPBOT264...)

Claudio
    I'm sure what you're stating is true for your installation of Windows 10, however I did a FRESH INSTALL, not an upgrade from 7 or 8.1. The next day on the home screen was a message that Windows needed to be Activated. It gave instructions on how to activate Windows 10 (Pro) and took me to a Microsoft page that stated I would have to pay $199.00 for a License Key. Apparently, if you UPGRADE from a previous Windows version ( Windows 7 or Windows 8, 8.1) that had a valid license key, then the upgrade install will be validated without any problems. Initially, I wanted to see how this "final" release of Windows 10 compared to the Windows 10 "Preview" that I tried about six months ago. I didn't care for it then, and I don't really see the big deal about this now, that's just my own personal opinion. It only matters to me if a newer operating system can run older software that I've been using for many years, which I've successfully gotten to work on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. From everything I've read on the Microsoft instructions page, this upgrade will be valid for one year, at which time the license will expire and you'll have to pay for a valid license key. So, I stand by my original statement that Windows 10 is not "free" if you read the fine print.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You read wrong. Microsoft gives you 1 (one) year to upgrade your Windows 7 or Windows 8 to Windows 10 without paying them any money. If you do that you get Windows 10 for free for the lifetime of your device.

If you do not upgade during first year you will have to pay (buy) for Windows 10 if you want to upgrade your Windows 7 or Windows 8 sistem as you have to pay now if you don't own Windows 7 or Windows 8.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by joecass View Post
    I'm sure what you're stating is true for your installation of Windows 10, however I did a FRESH INSTALL, not an upgrade from 7 or 8.1. The next day on the home screen was a message that Windows needed to be Activated. It gave instructions on how to activate Windows 10 (Pro) and took me to a Microsoft page that stated I would have to pay $199.00 for a License Key. Apparently, if you UPGRADE from a previous Windows version ( Windows 7 or Windows 8, 8.1) that had a valid license key, then the upgrade install will be validated without any problems. Initially, I wanted to see how this "final" release of Windows 10 compared to the Windows 10 "Preview" that I tried about six months ago. I didn't care for it then, and I don't really see the big deal about this now, that's just my own personal opinion. It only matters to me if a newer operating system can run older software that I've been using for many years, which I've successfully gotten to work on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. From everything I've read on the Microsoft instructions page, this upgrade will be valid for one year, at which time the license will expire and you'll have to pay for a valid license key. So, I stand by my original statement that Windows 10 is not "free" if you read the fine print.
    I understand your point of view but I need to talk some points.

If you upgrade to W10 using win 7, 8 or 8.1 installations activated, automatically you can make a FRESH INSTALL anytime in same machine.

Is not necessary SERIAL fo W10 fresh install, anymore, the only necessary step is internet access, because MS will validated your machine for new install. Only this.

Contrary to what she said, the license is permanent for those who already had an original license.

I migrated as much as Win7 and 8.1 and I can say that everything that worked before still works now.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, there are rumors circulating that MS will at some point charge those with Windows 7 or Windows 8.x who update to Windows 10 or that the license for a copy of Windows 10 acquired via an update will expire early. Those rumors are untrue. If someone installs the free update to Windows 10 within a year of the Windows 10 release, then they won't be charged for the update and their copy of Windows 10 will have the same end of life date (October 14, 2025) as a purchased license.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Detmek View Post
    Actually, he didn't try his windows 7 key on real PC after using it in WM. He tried to restore licence from backup he created with pkeyuibx after upgrade to Windows 10.

I didn't know about Personal Licence builder. But, if one can transfer his OEM licence from one PC to another what is the point of more expensive Retail licence?
    I've been at this many long hours now reading hundreds upon hundreds of mixed comments, conjecture, supposition, guesses (you name it) and real upgrade issues on multiple sites but I couldn't quite grasp what Cauptain was trying to do with the win7 key. That's why I asked.

Yesterday I read on the MS forum someone said they did something similar. They created a VM and installed a full retail Win7 which they then upgraded to an activated Win10 (See 2nd link below). Later they uninstalled Win10 and tried to re-use the Win7 key on a laptop (fresh install) but it was refused as invalid. This user said he'd call MS to try to get his retail license freed up again and post back with the results. Lets hope it's not an issue because there are a lot of conflicting opinions about whether the Win7/8 license gets used up when upgrading to Win10 (we know this to be true since it is the base license that is used to acquire a Win10 license so this isn't unexpected) but the question becomes will it or will it not carry the transfer rights of the full Win10 license or even will it retain the ability to restore the original Win7/8 for re-use if a user deletes Win10. Moving it from 1 VM to another might confuse the MS server that it's just a fresh install to the same machine so it's not a true test of the ability to transfer Win10 which btw is a separate issue than what I am asking (but will come up later for me none the less). There is also the problem that some things may be possible during the grace "free" upgrade period that may not apply long term. MS agents may be more willing to bend while there is mass confusion over the rules but next year license provisions which were misleading, misunderstood or misrepresented may be clarified and people may be locked in to something they didn't expect.

At 1st some of the comments here and elsewhere were confusing for me due to my own preconceived notions on the subject especially when some of the comments lacked background and context. When I read from MS that you could upgrade from Win7/8 to Win10 and they provided an iso for direct fresh install and also asked for a product key it seemed straight forward. Boot from the dvd of the iso and install to a fresh HDD disk. When the install asks for the key provide a valid Win 7/8 key and presto MS validates the original key as genuine and activates your new Win10. Hold on a minute no that's not it at all. I knew nothing of the missing steps and some comments had it all but were a bit cryptic with blanket statements with little or no explanation. This was further complicated by my own interpretation of what I read so I was trying to fit the comments in that context and they didn't match.

I know this is what some of you have been saying all along but I had mud in my eyes and after a lot of reading some things are much clearer now. Here is what I understand the upgrade steps are at the moment

a) Foremost if you choose the iso route make sure it is the same language and bit type (32/64) as your original Win7/8/8.1

1- You must install and activate or already have an installed and activated Win7/8/8.1 OS on your device
    2- You must upgrade your existing Win7/8/8.1 to WIN10 by either using the online MS upgrade tool or the iso provided
    3- You must allow sufficient time for your new Win10 to be activated (The servers may be slow)
    4- You must verify that your Win10 is activated (quoting from elsewhere...Control Panel->System applet. The activation status will be shown towards the bottom)
    5- Optionally after doing all of the above you may do a fresh install if you wish. If after a fresh install your license is said to be invalid wait a while since it may be server problems. There are many complaints of people waiting a day or more.

All that said there are still questions about the ability to transfer the win10 to a new PC or to re-activate the original base license (Win7/8/8.1 if someone decides to remove Win10 after next year. I'm following a few threads on that very topic which according to comments in this 1st thread MS has not answered yet.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/if-a-retail-wi...b-cf45b911190e

and another I'm tracking

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-do-i-t...=1438569845414

There are a few more that discuss OEM versions but I can't tell if they are talking about pre-installed versions or separately purchased OEM versions. I'm waiting to see what MS answers on the retail first.

--------------------------------------------
    As far as OEM vs Retail:
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    EDIT: I found New info on why Win8 and Win8 Pro OEM is different

According to this MS link the only version of the Windows OEM OS that was available for Personal use was Win8 and Win8 Pro which can be used by individuals who build their own PCs and it carries the same transfer rights as the retail version. In the other versions Win 7, 8.1 and 10 you need the retail version to do that.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/windows-licensing-for-pers...id=7Yc594lmH2O

There is a link on that page provided that explains more about the Personal use license in the Window 10 guide unfortunately when opened it says you have to enroll in the Microsoft Partner Network for OEM resellers so I can't get to that document.

For more information about the Personal Use License in Windows 8, see the Windows 10 licensing guide. .docx 108 KB
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As far as I can tell the difference is in the support. VL licensees are obliged by agreement with MS to provide OS support. Sellers (builders) who pre-install OEM versions too are obliged by license to provide os support to the customer but it's doubtful many of the small time players ever do. From what I have read and understand, these 2 previously mentioned groups may upgrade to WIN10 but do not and will not have transfer rights to another PC in most countries at least not in America it seems. Win10 will be locked to their hardware as it is for all upgraded devices but there is/was never and won't be any mechanism for them to remove and re-install Win10 or their original OS on another PC using the OEM key of their original OS.

The "Personal use" OEM purchaser (edit: Personal use OEM licenses are now known to legally exist only for Win8 and Win8 Pro) who installs their own (like me) are mostly on their own support wise but seem to have the same transfer rights as the Retail purchasers do. So other than MS support I can't see a real difference.

There may no longer be a difference with Win10 anyway since in the MS Win10 EULA they use what appears to be a new term "stand alone". It looks like the only distinction will be between the preinstalled versions vs the separately purchased licenses. Those who want to buy a Win10 license for personal use will have to get the retail version since the OEM version will not be available for individual personal use.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

Transfer. The provisions of this section do not apply if you acquired the software as a consumer in Germany or in any of the countries listed on this site (aka.ms/transfer), in which case any transfer of the software to a third party, and the right to use it, must comply with applicable law.

a. Software preinstalled on device. If you acquired the software preinstalled on a device (and also if you upgraded from software preinstalled on a device), you may transfer the license to use the software directly to another user, only with the licensed device. The transfer must include the software and, if provided with the device, an authentic Windows label including the product key. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.[/B]
    The bold part is of particular interest to me because I wonder if OEM Win8 like mine which are considered transferable are included in this EULA statement. I strongly suspect it will be since I think that clause is there because Win8 and win8 Pro oem standalone versions exist or they would have just said "Retail version" instead of "Stand-alone". If so then it would make my Win10 upgrade transferable too to a new machine at any time in the future and not just within this 1 year free upgrade period.
    Last edited by gll99; 3rd Aug 2015 at 01:14. Reason: Corrections, add new Information and some Links
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The reason the activated vm windows 10 got refused on the main computer because it was tied to the vm,calling ms fixes the issue.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i am going to wait
    perhaps a very long time..
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My Acer doesn't take the change. My Asus i5 might. The Acer is old but still beyond the minimum spec. Tried 3 times but it failed somewhere and won't install. Will have to wait until issues with GPUs, DLLs and other problems get sorted out in the next few months and try again then...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldfart13 View Post
    My Acer doesn't take the change. My Asus i5 might. The Acer is old but still beyond the minimum spec. Tried 3 times but it failed somewhere and won't install. Will have to wait until issues with GPUs, DLLs and other problems get sorted out in the next few months and try again then...
    That's why I'm just collecting information and won't be upgrading my wife's Win8 (now 8.1) 64 bit laptop until they get all the server and update issues sorted out. I also have 2 relatives who would like me to help them upgrade their Win 7 laptops but I told them to wait. Eventually once they get past the hiccups it'll be a no brain-er to take the free upgrade if you have a pre-installed oem OS. As for my own desktop I need to get a clearer picture of how they will handle the transferability of the license for self installers before making the jump.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Anyone notice the new DVD player in Windows 10? I thought they moved away from that capability in Windows 8 and were not going to support them directly anymore.

[Attachment 32930 - Click to enlarge]
    I just read about that on their spec page but they say it only comes free if you had certain previous versions or those with media Center

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/Windows-10-specifications#featdep

If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed. For a limited time (the “eligible period”), on systems upgraded to Windows 10 from one of these older versions of Windows (a “qualified system”), a DVD playback app (“windows DVD player”) will be installed.
    The rest will have to buy it if they want it.
    =================================

Originally Posted by Detmek View Post
    In case you have Windows 8 you need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 first and then to Windows 10.
    I installed windows 8 pro only and then installed windows 10 pro and it activated with no problems.
    On the same page I quoted above they say the upgrade works only from Win 8.1 pro or standard. No mention of plain Win8 or pro. I wonder if it's because you used the iso? On this page - point 4 near the bottom it adds "via the window update"

Must be running the latest version of Windows 8 (Windows 8.1 Update) to receive the free upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/Windows-10-faq
    Last edited by gll99; 4th Aug 2015 at 01:06.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I upgraded from windows 8 pro,not 8.1,it's just people making incorrect statements about needing to install from 8.1.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I upgraded from windows 8 pro,not 8.1,it's just people making incorrect statements about needing to install from 8.1.
    Just to be 100% clear did you use the iso?

I totally got that and put it in the quote above but I can see why people think you need 8.1 since MS says so although as I posted above they do say "via the window update".
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I burned the iso to a dvd,i tried an a clean install and input my 7,8 windows keys and it didn't work,so i restarted by doing a deleted install to windows 7.1 and then upgraded to a windows 8,didn't want go though a windows 8.1 update,so i used the burned dvd to update to windows 10 pro and it activated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I burned the iso to a dvd,i tried an a clean install and input my 7,8 windows keys and it didn't work,so i restarted by do a deleted install to windows 7.1 and then upgraded to a windows 8,didn't want go though a windows 8.1 update,so i used the burned dvd to update to windows 10 pro and it activated.
    Perfect!

Thanks

Those using the online upgrade mode may have to update to 8.1 1st according to MS but it looks like using the iso saves a major step for those who have win8.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt anyone needs to have a windows 8.1 from windows 8.0 to upgrade to windows 10 ,doesn't make any sense.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post

If you upgrade to W10 using win 7, 8 or 8.1 installations activated, automatically you can make a FRESH INSTALL anytime in same machine.

Is not necessary SERIAL fo W10 fresh install, anymore, the only necessary step is internet access, because MS will validated your machine for new install. Only this.

Claudio
    Claudio, I have some questions for you:

1. I have currently upgraded to 10 from my legal 8.1 but would like to make a clean W10 installation using ISO (same system type - home, single language) I've downloaded from MS. Will it get activated on the same PC without web connection, if I instead use the new key for Windows 10 from my previous 'upgrade' installation (copied as you mentioned earlier)?

2. What will happen to my laptop's hidden recovery partitions at fresh installation from booted image: will they remain and if they will, then will I still be able to recover the older system from HDD? Will I keep the opportunity to activate both W10 (if I re-install it with its own key, currently provided) and the W8.1 bought with my laptop? MS says going back to older OS is only possible within a month, does it mean they'll permanently reset activation opportunity for the older OS on the same machine or is it just limited for Windows recovery option (to reset the upgrade installation: W10-> older system)?

Thanks in advance,
    Alexander
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    The only major bug i'm finding with win10 is i lose the system audio when i reboot,i have to disable it and enable it again before it works,did a google search and found a lot of people who have a titanium x-fi sound cards have this issue with win10.

As to Baldricks question you can install windows 10 for a 30day trial period without any keys.
    That is very concerning. Which reminds me that the most annoying problem I have with Win7 is my audio interface flakes out a lot. I was hoping things get better under Win10. Sounds like maybe not, maybe even worse. ugh! I think I will hold off from Win10 for now and wait for MOTU to update their driver/firmware.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    MS W10 can distribute updates to other PCs on your network. Not a real problem most times, but easy to turn off.

I turned off just about all the options I could after my W10 install on my laptop.
    I noted quite a few of them mentioned they would send information to MS.
    MS has more than enough 'information' from me.

I haven't ran the OS long enough to properly evaluate it compared to the W8.1 install it replaced.
    I did notice my Start 8 program still works, so I still have the familiar W7 desktop.
    And MS Office Word still refuses to open any document, same as W8 and W8.1. I gave up and installed Open Office.

I also had a lot of Internet Explorer crashes with W8 and W8.1, which I'm hoping is improved with W10.
    I'm running W7 on all my other PCs and plan to continue that for some time.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I've just tested Win10 in VMPlayer and I'm not impressed at all! First design of UI elements is terrible! Boring flatness everywhere!
    Buttons do not look like buttons any more. Now we have some ugly grey rectangles. Another problem. Difference between disabled and enabled buttons is too small. Grey vs dark grey. The same with scroll bars. Another flat ugly grey rectangle. The amount of white color in Explorer is annoying as hell. White title bar, white File , Home , Share bar ... White status bar and so on. Activated application on task bar is now highlighted by small blue stripe. Windows 7 has nice convexity effect. Not to mention about adaptive highlight color based on icon color. Start menu has Aero Glass effect but task bar has only simple transparency effect? WTF?! There are numerous inconsistency in gui design everywhere. Settings options in Start menu is just a pure joke. If you want to get to true control panel you must right-click on windows logo. To be honest right-click on windows logo has much more useful options than those dumbed down metro versions in start menu.
    I will never understand why they added those useless live tiles in start menu. Wouldn't be better to have live tiles on desktop like gadgets in Win7? The only thing what might be interesting is DX12. However this DX12 hype will not last long because in next year Vulkan is coming. (Vista,Win7,win8,win10,linux).
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh and also, there are privacy concerns on Windows 10. Microsoft has officially become the next google. As I understand, MS assigns unique Ad ID to each computer and provides targeted ads. Now they collects way more information than I am personally comfortable with and they have not made it clear as to how, what, where etc they will do with the data. Some might argue it is required for the Cortana and stuff, but I for one am not comfortable with that. That's just me though, if you are comfortable with that, by all means go ahead. Just be educated though that by default Microsoft will collect all your personal info, and you have to opt out, either during or post installation if you wish to.

Sources: Search WWW for 'Windows 10 Privacy'. One of the links:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3184827/Is-Microsoft-reading-emails-Win...dogs-warn.html
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
    I've just tested Win10 in VMPlayer and I'm not impressed at all! First design of UI elements is terrible! Boring flatness everywhere!
    Buttons do not look like buttons any more. Now we have some ugly grey rectangles. Another problem. Difference between disabled and enabled buttons is too small. Grey vs dark grey. The same with scroll bars. Another flat ugly grey rectangle. The amount of white color in Explorer is annoying as hell. White title bar, white File , Home , Share bar ... White status bar and so on. Activated application on task bar is now highlighted by small blue stripe. Windows 7 has nice convexity effect. Not to mention about adaptive highlight color based on icon color. Start menu has Aero Glass effect but task bar has only simple transparency effect? WTF?! There are numerous inconsistency in gui design everywhere.
    I remember studying UI design many years ago and the 3D elements were considered affordances which helped users figure out that they could do something with a control or object. I guess that concept is out the window now. (Pun intended.)

The "flat" UI started with Windows 8. Flatness it is what passes for modern-looking graphical design these days, plus it is supposedly better for use with things like smart phones and tablets with less advanced CPUs and less memory.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    If you've upgraded to Windows 10 then Microsoft could be using your PC - and your internet connection - to silently send Windows updates to others.
    Bloody hell.

Using my internet to deliver their software to others is turned on by default ?

Do M$ know that most of Australia has strongly usage capped internet plans ?
    Many plans just slow speed nowadays once over the cap, but at one time people did get bills in their $hundreds and $thousands for unwitting usage over the cap ... so many plain Aus mums and dads will either wonder why their internet has gone pith slow or get extra usage bills. What a nightmare. If it is on by default then that'd be a Yank culture centric setting I suppose.

Need do some googling to see what else I have to search for and turn off.
    Last edited by hydra3333; 4th Aug 2015 at 18:26.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vibgyor View Post
    Oh and also, there are privacy concerns on Windows 10. ... Now they collects way more information than I am personally comfortable with and they have not made it clear as to how, what, where etc they will do with the data. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3184827/Is-Microsoft-reading-emails-Win...dogs-warn.html
    an updated privacy statement released shortly afterwards says Microsoft can collect users’ information from private emails, address books and other files.
    Within 45 pages of terms and conditions, the privacy information suggests Microsoft begins watching from when an account is created, saving customer’s basic information, passwords and credit card details, Newsweek reported.
    Cortana, for example, makes use of information about who a user calls on their phone, plus data from their emails and texts, calendar and contacts, as well as their web history and location.
    Microsoft basically grants itself very broad rights to collect everything you do, say and write with on your devices
    Wow. Just ... wow.

That together with now not being able to stop them doing things to my PC with windows update ... are they in bed with NSA or what ?
    If not, what pipes do the NSA have in, for collecting data on non-US users who are not "protected" by US laws ?

It seems to be one of the largest bulk user-data collection mechanisms ever deployed on the planet. Tell me US Agencies are not more than tempted to tap in. Go on.
    Last edited by hydra3333; 4th Aug 2015 at 18:51.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hydra3333 View Post
    Bloody hell.

Many plans just slow speed nowadays once over the cap, but at one time people did get bills in their $hundreds and $thousands for unwitting usage over the cap ... so many plain Aus mums and dads will either wonder why their internet has gone pith slow or get extra usage bills. What a nightmare. If it is on by default then that'd be a Yank culture centric setting I suppose.
    Where did you get that idea? Some in the USA have Internet data caps as well, particularly if their service is delivered by satellite or 4G from a telco. Most services here that don't have a cap at present had one in the past, and reserve the right to put a cap in place again at any time.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vibgyor View Post
    Oh and also, there are privacy concerns on Windows 10. ... Now they collects way more information than I am personally comfortable with and they have not made it clear as to how, what, where etc they will do with the data. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3184827/Is-Microsoft-reading-emails-Win...dogs-warn.html
    an updated privacy statement released shortly afterwards says Microsoft can collect users’ information from private emails, address books and other files.
    Within 45 pages of terms and conditions, the privacy information suggests Microsoft begins watching from when an account is created, saving customer’s basic information, passwords and credit card details, Newsweek reported.
    Cortana, for example, makes use of information about who a user calls on their phone, plus data from their emails and texts, calendar and contacts, as well as their web history and location.
    Microsoft basically grants itself very broad rights to collect everything you do, say and write with on your devices
    Wow. Just ... wow.

That together with now not being able to stop them doing things to my PC with windows update ... are they in bed with NSA or what ?
    If not, what pipes do the NSA have in, for collecting data on non-US users who are not "protected" by US laws ?

It seems to be one of the largest bulk user-data collection mechanisms ever deployed on the planet. Tell me US Agencies are not more than tempted to tap in. Go on.
    Well, its not the first company to collect data, but I cannot say to WHAT extent. Google collects lots of data, scans your emails, displays targeted ads, heck the Android default settings store your wifi passwords and stuff on google servers. If you are on facebook, that is another huge data mining company. But yes, I do agree that on an operating system level, this is the first time I have heard. And yes, you do raise a good point about non US citizens, and I have no clue how that is going to go on. Again as I said, personally I am not going to hand over my personal data to Microsoft or any other huge corporations. Heck, this makes me want to go full Linux. Though I use Linux for things like browsing, listening to music, but for gaming, stuck with windows for the moment. The situation is getting better though, with many games being introduced to linux too, on steam specially. But that aside, again, I am not comfortable with handing so much personal information to giant corporations. Yes, I agree Win 10 has shiny stuff, heck I too want to jump the boat, but not at the cost of my privacy. So if you are like me and have concerns about your privacy, I would recommend you to hold on to your upgrading plans.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Bloody hell.

Where did you get that idea? Some in the USA have Internet data caps as well, particularly if their service is delivered by satellite or 4G from a telco. Most services here that don't have a cap at present had one in the past, and reserve the right to put a cap in place again at any time.
    I actually second that. In Canada, we have caps was well. Even for Cable internet. If I remember correctly, after you cross the allocated bandwidth, your speed will be drastically reduced. For all intents and purposes, if you do normal stuff its fine. But if you are a heavy downloader, then it might cause an issue. But then again, I guess we are all on the same boat here. Every one has limited bandwidth, though I do not know how much data Win 10 uses. But again, the point is the OS does this by default and its sort of absurd.
    Quote Quote  
  29. How to protect your privacy in Windows 10:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/windows-10-doesnt-offer-much-pri...how-to-fix-it/

Also if you want to share your media with other DLNA devices:

1. Click on your network icon or go to Network & Internet.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot017.png
Views:	556
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	32986

2. Then click on your local area connection and turn it on.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot018.png
Views:	727
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	32987

3. You will also need to turn streaming on in your server programs(WMP, Plex, etc).
    Last edited by MOVIEGEEK; 5th Aug 2015 at 11:48.
    Quote Quote