VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The only major bug i'm finding with win10 is i lose the system audio when i reboot,i have to disable it and enable it again before it works,did a google search and found a lot of people who have a titanium x-fi sound cards have this issue with win10.

As to Baldricks question you can install windows 10 for a 30day trial period without any keys.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    The only major bug i'm finding with win10 is i lose the system audio when i reboot,i have to disable it and enable it again before it works,did a google search and found a lot of people who have a titanium x-fi sound cards have this issue with win10.

As to Baldricks question you can install windows 10 for a 30day trial period without any keys.
    Yes. I had this problem. To solve this I use a Driverpack install version.

Look here about this problem: Windows 10 audio problem

Creative set dates to release W10 WHQL versions:
    Windows® 10 - Software Availability Chart

For any W10 driver try DriverPack Solution 15.8: http://download.drp.su/DRP-Full.torrent

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm have 4 licensed xp desktops (2 with E2180 CPU mostly shelved). All are older LGA775 architecture. The 2 more frequently used ones both have a E8400 cpu on them. The specs are in my computer details (linked left)

I bought a Window 8 Pro 64 bit OEM DVD a while back because I planned to build a new LGA 1150 - I5 or I7 4 core machine never got around to it. The only thing I did with my Win8 Pro OEM so far is make an iso and run a fresh install on a spare 75GB drive I had around (I keep a few lower capacity drives for cloning backups). I just wanted to see if everything would run ok with MS MB generic win8 drivers (my old Asus P5E-VM DO MB is not win8 certified and I can't get Asus drivers for it). I didn't activate Win8 or run any updates at that time since I was saving it for my new PC not knowing if I could delete this copy and then re-use my key on my new PC. (Apparently I can). Anyway everything seemed to work fine although I didn't test much software beyond Firefox and a couple of small stand alone/portable programs already on a 2nd hdd on the PC.

Anyway I am still running XP right now but with the coming of Window 10 I'd like to start moving on at least on 1 desktop PC to get some practice and try some programs that are no longer XP compatible.

Last night I downloaded both English 64 bit and 32 bit iso from MS. My Win8 Pro license is for the 64 bit version so that the one I'll be using but I thought "might as well get the 32 bit version anyway".

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Please correct me if I'm wrong but if I proceed to install Win 10 it will be with these beliefs in mind:

- The 64 bit iso I downloaded contains the full version of Window 10 (not the preview or one subject to expiry)
    - My Window 8 pro oem license will allow me to activate Window 10 Pro
    - If Win10 causes too many problems with my old hardware I can delete it and still re-use my win8 key to activate a new install either on the same E8400-LGA775 PC or reinstall Win8 on a new LGA1150 PC as I could have done if I had never upgraded to Win10.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can roll back from Windows 10 to Win 7 or 8 very easily
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, you can roll back to previous Windows 8.1, just don't do Windows 10 fresh install because it will not accept your Windows 8 key. You need to do upgrade first. In case you have Windows 8 you need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 first and then to Windows 10.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Anyone notice the new DVD player in Windows 10? I thought they moved away from that capability in Windows 8 and were not going to support them directly anymore.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Windows 10 DVD player.PNG
Views:	4921
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	32930
    Quote Quote  
  7. It should be enough to see if you like it or not, or to test for program/driver compatibilities - but beware you only have a month limitation to rollback
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Detmek View Post
    In case you have Windows 8 you need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 first and then to Windows 10.
    I installed windows 8 pro only and then installed windows 10 pro and it activated with no problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=johns0;2403090]
    In case you have Windows 8 you need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 first and then to Windows 10.
    @Dtemark: Hope I understand correctly: You are saying: You can't upgrade a device straight from Win 8.0 you need 8.1. This fits with what I read too.

Yes, you can roll back to previous Windows 8.1, just don't do Windows 10 fresh install because it will not accept your Windows 8 key. You need to do upgrade first. In case you have Windows 8 you need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 first and then to Windows 10.
    johns0 had just taken a partial quote from you but this bold part in your complete post conflicts with what I've read and posted below about doing a fresh install. Am I confusing something in your comment? Can you link to where this thought comes from.

I can see the advantage to using the upgrade(s) if you already have Win8 or 8.1 installed. It lets you keep your installed programs and settings. The iso is for fresh installs like in my case where I'll start from a clean slate. If I read right also a VL key may not activate a fresh install so I wouldn't overwrite a pre-installed company VL OS. MS wouldn't want to ruffle the feathers of mass distributors who make money off sometimes nagging, bloated add-ons and then MS comes along and gives us a fairly simple way to eliminate those extra installs. (no one should go strictly by me I'm just looking for info and also trying to share what I find). In any case, I won't try that route on my wife's win8/8.1 laptop.

I installed windows 8 pro only and then installed windows 10 pro and it activated with no problems.
    Thanks johns0, this is not what I understood from reading the info from MS (possibly just pre-release reviewers). However on the iso download page it looks like I can do a fresh install from the win10 iso and use my win8 product key to activate it

From The MS site linked earlier
    Before you begin

Make sure you have:
    An internet connection (internet service provider fees may apply).
    Sufficient data storage available on a computer, USB or external drive for the download.
    A blank USB or DVD (and DVD burner) with at least 4 GB of space if you want to create media. We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted.
    Read the System Requirements.
    If you will be installing the operating system for the first time, you will need your Windows product key (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx). For more information about product keys and when they are required, visit the FAQ page.

From the bold above it sounds to me that as long as I have my Win8 product key I should be able to do a fresh install without having to go through a double of even triple install/update/upgrade to get from win8 and then possibly 8.1 to get to Win10.
    From The MS site linked earlier
    Select edition

Windows 10 editions below are valid for both Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro.
    I took from these 2 quotes in bold that if I have a Win8 "Pro" key I will end up with a Win 10 "Pro" version.

That to me seems to be the intent of providing an install iso for free. It saves having to go through various installs and it maintains your version i.e. Home vs Pro

I still wonder about a future crash and needing to re-install again in a year or more.

Will we still be able to re-install that way next year and beyond is not clear. Those who are upgrading from a Win7/Win8 device must do so this year so is it the same with this iso using the Win8 product key?
    Last edited by gll99; 1st Aug 2015 at 15:15.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If you will be installing the operating system for the first time, you will need your Windows product key (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx)
    Yes, but Windows 10 product key, which does not exist right now.

Like I said, upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and then to Windows 10. Login with Microsoft account (create one if you don't have) and that will link your PC to your MS account. Next time you re-intall, log in with MS account and Windows should retrive activation from your MS account.

So far, anyone who upgraded Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1 and linked it with MS account could perform clean installation of Windows 10 and got Windows 10 activated as soon as logged in with MS account. Just press Skip key during instalation. Tested myself twice. But, the thing is, after clean install everyone gets generic Windows 10 key. Probably because Windows 10 keys do not exist yet.

A few people tried to enter Windows 8, 8.1 or Windows 7 keys during installation but Windows 10 did not accept those keys.

On my local forum there is a Windows 10 tread with 560 pages. There was a lot of discusion about installing or reintalling Windows 10.

The thing that is not clear is - how MS tieds activation to PC (hardware). Is it motherboard, CPU, HDD or combination? Because they say that Windows will get free updates/upgrades for the lifetime of device. Kindda OEM licence, not usable on other devices.

But, what about Retail versions that people used to upgrade their PC-s? Will those licences be converted into OEM or will it be usable with diffenent hardware? Something that is not really explaind from Microsoft.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My method is very easy using local account.

1 - Download MS tool for dowload and create desired W10 version. Link: MS Media Creation Tool

2 - After create ISO, just extract using WINRAR or 7ZIP.

3 - Close all apps and disable antivirus. Run SETUP.EXE and next to all.

4 - Windows installed? check in Computer properties, its show activated or no. If activated, download this tool and run it. Copy your serial key.

5 - Make a Pendrive Boot Method* and make a FRESH INSTALL

6 - On Serial screen, put your serial and go to see any TV.

7 - Installed, check again. Its will full activate W10 using local account permanently.

PS: Tested on +30 devices.
    PS2: * = Select windows 8 option

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  12. Are sure that this key is not a key from your previous Windows installation (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you will be installing the operating system for the first time, you will need your Windows product key (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx)
    Yes, but Windows 10 product key, which does not exist right now.

Like I said, upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and then to Windows 10. Login with Microsoft account (create one if you don't have) and that will link your PC to your MS account. Next time you re-intall, log in with MS account and Windows should retrive activation from your MS account.

So far, anyone who upgraded Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1 and linked it with MS account could perform clean installation of Windows 10 and got Windows 10 activated as soon as logged in with MS account. Just press Skip key during instalation. Tested myself twice. But, the thing is, after clean install everyone gets generic Windows 10 key. Probably because Windows 10 keys do not exist yet.

A few people tried to enter Windows 8, 8.1 or Windows 7 keys during installation but Windows 10 did not accept those keys.

On my local forum there is a Windows 10 tread with 560 pages. There was a lot of discusion about installing or reintalling Windows 10.

The thing that is not clear is - how MS tieds activation to PC (hardware). Is it motherboard, CPU, HDD or combination? Because they say that Windows will get free updates/upgrades for the lifetime of device. Kindda OEM licence, not usable on other devices.

But, what about Retail versions that people used to upgrade their PC-s? Will those licences be converted into OEM or will it be usable with diffenent hardware? Something that is not really explaind from Microsoft.
    I am using the latest info posted July 29 on a site called Computerworld which says we can use the Win10 iso and a valid Win 7 or 8 key to do a fresh install on a PC. This is the page where I actually got the link to the MS ISO download site.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2954264/microsoft-windows/microsoft-delivers-wind...e-edition.html

The simultaneous release of .iso files -- downloadable disk images -- gives customers another way to install Windows 10. Using an .iso file, users can "clean install" Windows 10 -- starting from scratch in other words -- and activate the OS using a valid Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key. Alternately, the .iso can be used to do an in-place upgrade of an eligible device.
    Are they wrong? That's why it's so hard to know who's right or not.

[QUOTE=Detmek;2403111]
    On my local forum there is a Windows 10 tread with 560 pages.
    Link please. I'd like to read it for info and also to see if the timeline of the discussion is post release of the new iso files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Cauptain (or anyone else with the knowledge)

When you refer to the MS Media Creation Tool in your post above (step 1) is that just the iso files or are you referring to some special install program that goes along with the iso. Every reference I found from MS just brings me back to the iso page? Normally I'd just burn the iso to disc using IMGBURN and boot from there but before I do that I thought I'd better check in case I'm missing something.
    Quote Quote  
  15. If you speak Serbian - http://forum.benchmark.rs/showthread.php?337728-Windows-10

Well, you can always try for yourself. Create backup of your Windows 8 installation and try fresh install of Windows 10. If it accepts Win 8 product key good for you. If it doesn't you can always restore your Windows 8 backup and do upgrade.

The thing is, guys from Microsoft told us for months that Windows 10 should be used as upgrade and not fresh install when it hits market. Even those in Insider Program are adviced to upgrade and not do any fresh installs.

Edit:
    MS Media Creation Tool is a Microsoft program that can be used to directly upgrade your current Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 sistem or create ISO or bootable USB drive. It downloads necessary files and perform the action you selected.

P.S. Note that you can not upgrade Win 7 Home or Home premium and Windows 8.1 into Windows 10 Pro. You need Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate and Windows 8.1 Pro for Windows 10 Pro.
    Last edited by Detmek; 1st Aug 2015 at 17:18.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=gll99;2403124][QUOTE=Detmek;2403111]

I am using the latest info posted July 29 on a site called Computerworld which says we can use the Win10 iso and a valid Win 7 or 8 key to do a fresh install on a PC. This is the page where I actually got the link to the MS ISO download site.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2954264/microsoft-windows/microsoft-delivers-wind...e-edition.html

The simultaneous release of .iso files -- downloadable disk images -- gives customers another way to install Windows 10. Using an .iso file, users can "clean install" Windows 10 -- starting from scratch in other words -- and activate the OS using a valid Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key. Alternately, the .iso can be used to do an in-place upgrade of an eligible device.
    Are they wrong? That's why it's so hard to know who's right or not.
    If you have Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 serial key,remember: Its NOT will activate a FRESH W10 install.

The ONLY way is UPGRADING your 7 or 8 or 8.1 installation. After this, MS collect all ID from your machine and validate you Serial Key to Permanent W10 serial for your machine only.

After upgrade you can install, reinstall, ultra install thousands on same machine using same serial key.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gll99 View Post
    @Cauptain (or anyone else with the knowledge)

When you refer to the MS Media Creation Tool in your post above (step 1) is that just the iso files or are you referring to some special install program that goes along with the iso. Every reference I found from MS just brings me back to the iso page? Normally I'd just burn the iso to disc using IMGBURN and boot from there but before I do that I thought I'd better check in case I'm missing something.
    Just ISO image for massive upgrade/fresh install via DVD or USB KEY. No special install!!

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You need to install windows 10 as an upgrade from either win7 or win8 and it will activate properly,if you did a clean install before doing this then there's no way you can validate it with a separate key code,I installed clean and found that out so i reinstalled win7 and upgraded to win8 which i bought for $40.

In doing that i was able to install win10 pro,can't do that with win7 premium,and in doing that i was able to get win10 pro activated.I know you didn't go through this route but i posted it so other people don't make the same mistake.
    You can do as fresh install only if you already upgraded as I and Cauptain mentioned,you don't need to have win8.1 installed,win8 is good enough.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you speak Serbian - http://forum.benchmark.rs/showthread.php?337728-Windows-10

Well, you can always try for yourself. Create backup of your Windows 8 installation and try fresh install of Windows 10. If it accepts Win 8 product key good for you. If it doesn't you can always restore your Windows 8 backup and do upgrade.

The thing is, guys from Microsoft told us for months that Windows 10 should be used as upgrade and not fresh install when it hits market. Even those in Insider Program are adviced to upgrade and not do any fresh installs.
    No unfortunately I don't read, speak or understand Serbian I have enough trouble with English and French but maybe someone else does so it might prove useful to them.

I'm using XP right now and it was never my intention to upgrade from window 8. If it works I was going to just boot from the W10 iso on DVD and install to an empty 75GB HDD. My plan was to use the Win8 oem Pro license from my DVD disc to activate Win10 as it says on the Computerworld site but according to you, jonhs0 and Cauptain I have misunderstood and will have to install and activate win8 pro 1st then I can either upgrade or fresh install Win10 and the license would be recognized since it would already be on file with MS.

However there are a few things I need to clear up about the license before I attempt anything (please see later after the next quote)

Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post

If you have Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 serial key,remember: Its NOT will activate a FRESH W10 install.

The ONLY way is UPGRADING your 7 or 8 or 8.1 installation. After this, MS collect all ID from your machine and validate you Serial Key to Permanent W10 serial for your machine only.

After upgrade you can install, reinstall, ultra install thousands on same machine using same serial key.

Claudio
    I am in information collecting mode right now. I realize that the best option would be for me to just try an install and share the results with everyone but there is a major concern to me which stops me from installing Win10 to the point of an actual activation. I keep reading these very strong messages about the key being tied to a particular hardware configuration when my original "Win8 pro oem personal use license" doesn't have quite that restriction as long as I remove/deactivate it from the original PC I can re-use it on a new build. (See Cauptain above) I'd hate to loose that flexibility on an old PC because Win10 kills the old Win8 Pro eula and ties the license to the old very dated hardware (mb, cpu, ram etc...). Maybe I'm reading it wrong and as long as I de-activate the 1st install of Win10 I can put it on another PC and use my Win 8 oem Pro key again to re-activate but the language used by various individual posters doesn't seem to leave that option open. Maybe someone could rephrase and find a confirming link to MS if possible. I really don't want to throw away $130 (can't recall exact price) just to experiment on my old PC which runs most everything fine on XP.

btw: Thanks Cauptain for replying to my query on the Creation tool in a previous post
    Last edited by gll99; 1st Aug 2015 at 18:02.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Well, if your licence is OEM then it is not legal to use it on another PC even if you uninstall it on previous. Retail licence is for that purpose. OEM means it is tied to specific machine (PC).

In your case, better wait and upgrade your hardware in the next 360 days, use your OEM licence to activate Windows 8 on that hardware and upgrade to Windows 10 from there.

In that time just install trial verson of Windows 10 and see if it works for you.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can always transfer your oem key to another computer as long as the old one isn't using it,I've been doing that since i bought win7 oem and have gone through 5 different computers i built,after i activate it say this key has already been used,i just phone the ms automated line and give the new info and i'm activated again.

Not sure how it will work on win 10 when changing major parts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, if your licence is OEM then it is not legal to use it on another PC even if you uninstall it on previous. Retail licence is for that purpose. OEM means it is tied to specific machine (PC).

In your case, better wait and upgrade your hardware in the next 360 days, use your OEM licence to activate Windows 8 on that hardware and upgrade to Windows 10 from there.

In that time just install trial verson of Windows 10 and see if it works for you.
    That might have been true with the old XP eula but the win7 and win8 licenses are different in that there are 2 uses for oem discs. One is a "system builder" and the other "personal use" each with their own agreement
    . What they have in common is no MS support.

This is a link to the win8 pro oem personal use agreement

http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx

Partial quote:
    Can I transfer the software to another computer or user? You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Anytime you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers. You may transfer Get Genuine Windows software, Pro Pack or Media Center Pack software only together with the licensed computer.
    That's why I'd hate to quick read and act then unknowingly agree to convert the license to a new Win10 eula which might then say the old win 8 pro key is invalid after x number of days and the win10 key is tied to a single old PC.
    Last edited by gll99; 1st Aug 2015 at 18:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think it is OK so far, I did a clean install of windows 10 Pro. All my programs are working so far. I just wish I still had Media Center I have to find a good replacement and haven't had much luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gll99 View Post
    I am in information collecting mode right now. I realize that the best option would be for me to just try an install and share the results with everyone but there is a major concern to me which stops me from installing Win10 to the point of an actual activation. I keep reading these very strong messages about the key being tied to a particular hardware configuration when my original "Win8 pro oem personal use license" doesn't have quite that restriction as long as I remove/deactivate it from the original PC I can re-use it on a new build. (See Cauptain above) I'd hate to loose that flexibility on an old PC because Win10 kills the old Win8 Pro eula and ties the license to the old very dated hardware (mb, cpu, ram etc...). Maybe I'm reading it wrong and as long as I de-activate the 1st install of Win10 I can put it on another PC and use my Win 8 oem Pro key again to re-activate but the language used by various individual posters doesn't seem to leave that option open. Maybe someone could rephrase and find a confirming link to MS if possible. I really don't want to throw away $130 (can't recall exact price) just to experiment on my old PC which runs most everything fine on XP.

btw: Thanks Cauptain for replying to my query on the Creation tool in a previous post
    gll99 I make a simple test.

I create a vmware machine, installed windows 7 x64 Ultimate and Windows 10 via upgrade module. Its OK, fully activated.

Next step: I will backup my windows 10 activation using pkeyuibx soft and desactive them.

After this, I will install fresh W10 on my brother netbook and restore my vmware activation license. If work, I posted here.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think some of the lights are starting to turn on. It's nothing that you guys haven't already said but things are beginning to slide into place in the brain.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3f02fu/psa_you_must_upgrade_your_existing_windows_os_to/

I think I understand better now that I won't lose my win8 pro key because the free win10 upgrade will be tied to this PCs hardware (likely mb and cpu) but it won't really invalidate my win8 key if I remove/de-activate win10. Also like it says on that site I could probably switch PCs and keep win10 if it's within the "free" year by going through the re-install process again on the new PC after removing it from the old one. What will happen after a year no one knows but my Win 8 key won't be any worse off than it is today meaning it looks like I'd be able to use it on any single PC at a time (as Win 8 or 8.1) even if I'm not able to re-activate it back to win10 unless MS extends the deadline or just changes their policy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

I create a vmware machine, installed windows 7 x64 Ultimate and Windows 10 via upgrade module. Its OK, fully activated.

Next step: I will backup my windows 10 activation using pkeyuibx soft and desactive them.

After this, I will install fresh W10 on my brother netbook and restore my vmware activation license. If work, I posted here.
    Not work!!

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  27. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The thing i'm looking for now for windows 10 is if there's any other program besides icaros or MediaPreview that will give thumbnails to videos and pictures,neither program will change the thumbnails as of now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Not work!!

Claudio
    Sorry but I missed a bit.

You activated Win10 using a Win7 key on a VM then you deactivated it from the VM to see if MS would release the win7 key (I guess). Are you saying you couldn't use that win7 key again to activate another computer to win10? I got a bit confused as to what didn't work. So what is your conclusion?
    Quote Quote  
  29. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can't activate any previous version of windows to another computer as long as you are using the upgraded version on another computer,you can go back to the previous versions that were tied to the computer they were activated with as long as you didn't change the computer and activate it on that one.

In other words all copies of windows are tied to one computer that they were activated for,it's like trying to sell software with a legitimate code to more than one person.
    Quote Quote  
  30. I installed Windows 10 yesterday and have been playing with it for a few hours, so far I'm not impressed over Windows 7. It uninstalled Windows Media Center and everything is a little slower on my quad core. I think the reason Windows 10 is a free download is because they track everything you do by default, you can turn it off in Settings->Privacy though. You have 30 days to revert back to your previous OS.

You can download it here:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    Quote Quote