VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15
FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    {{ d e l e t e d }}
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 14th Oct 2016 at 00:57. Reason: I love to complicate things, but maybe this time I just went too far :-)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    i have win 10 and its best for me too, of course you need a good hardware not old, i also just for fun , win xp, win 7,win 8.1, linux mint , ubuntu, zoran another good linux os and hackintosh.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    {{ d e l e t e d }}
    hmmm, very cryptic....
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    {{ d e l e t e d }}
    hmmm, very cryptic....
    You forgot to quote this:

Last edited by El Heggunte; 14th Oct 2016 at 05:57. Reason: I love to complicate things, but maybe this time I just went too far
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the last couple of weeks I've been asked several times by friends who are not very much into computers and who accidently installed the Win10 update to remove it and to reinstall Win7. That is after they played with it for couple of months.
    Some people are OK and/or happy with the new Win, some aren't. That's it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My version of windows 10 on my laptop has had a ruined login profile a few times now in a year or so. All of a sudden when logging in it will be so unbelievable slow & most things like picture viewer don't work. It took me hours to make another account.
    Apart from reinstalling all I could do is add a new user with password in powershell & leave the old original account.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gurd99 View Post
    My version of windows 10 on my laptop has had a ruined login profile a few times now in a year or so. All of a sudden when logging in it will be so unbelievable slow & most things like picture viewer don't work. It took me hours to make another account.
    Apart from reinstalling all I could do is add a new user with password in powershell & leave the old original account.
    I found a thread indicating that this is not uncommon when someone used Microsoft's free Windows 10 in-place upgrade to go from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

When that is the case, some advice in the thread said the only sure and permanent solution is to backup the system drive, do a fresh Windows 10 install, re-install programs/apps, and copy personal files from the backup.

Another post said to to backup the system drive and then do a repair upgrade using a downloaded Windows 10 ISO file http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-p...7-f40096ec3085
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Oct 2016 at 09:41.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes I've seen corrupted profiles many many times on upgrades. Haven't seen one so far on a fresh install. One customer has an odd assortment of software that she refuses to blank the machine and start over because she can't even find installers for these items anymore. So we have a second profile setup for when the main one eventually has issues again. Oddly, a lot of the time I can login to the spare profile and then the main one will work fine the next time I try to login to it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know if anyone is aware, but win10 has hevc support. the built-in player plays them. but i don't like the pause feature: it dims the video. so you can't review separate frames with it. not very useful for that except for playing videos only.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    Don't know if anyone is aware, but win10 has hevc support. the built-in player plays them. but i don't like the pause feature: it dims the video. so you can't review separate frames with it. not very useful for that except for playing videos only.
    I'm not sure that Windows 10 provides HEVC support by itself. Your new Skylake PC's CPU has HEVC decoding built-in.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yes, the pre-release Windows 10 had a fully-fledged Media Foundation HEVC software decoder. On actual release it was de-activated/removed and only the DXVA2 decoder remains AFAIK.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What's the best way to convert downloaded HEVC x.265 video to H.264 or equivalent so I can view on a media player that doesn't support the new HEVC codec ? Once I used Any Video Converter 5.xxx, seemed like it took forever. Don't use VLC media player, to view on desktops or laptops, I transfer video files to a USB stick for watching on a large screen TV
    Quote Quote  
  13. Marsia Mariner
    Originally Posted by joecass View Post
    What's the best way to convert downloaded HEVC x.265 video to H.264 or equivalent so I can view on a media player that doesn't support the new HEVC codec ? Once I used Any Video Converter 5.xxx, seemed like it took forever. Don't use VLC media player, to view on desktops or laptops, I transfer video files to a USB stick for watching on a large screen TV
    Please start a new thread. Your question /request is very off-topic.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I think this is still very much in keeping with the original topic:

Windows 10 ~ From Your Computer to Satan's Server:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEBzc1GHUQE
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Been running the Anniversary Update since August. Finally got off my keister and updated to the latest build (I keep the Windows Update service disabled). The Microsoft Update Catalog no longer requires ActiveX which means you can access it via other browsers e.g. FF. So that is a plus for those who hate IE. For reference, here is the link to the build history:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4000825/windows-10-update-history

If you download the latest Build, you get all the patches from the previous builds as well, so you do not need any of the previous builds. However, if you are like me and are updating a pristine install of W10, you will need to install KB3199986 first. My build images never have any updates (updates can be flaky and next to impossible to uninstall). So it is very convenient to have a cumulative update available whenever I reload my image. If you are uncertain which build you have just go to Settings - System - About.

And if you haven't upgraded to 1607 yet, you should.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if your wife's computer has Windows 10.... THAT'S the issue. I have one older laptop running Windows 10 Pro since 2015. Most of the time when it boots, there is some problem which causes it to reboot a second time before entering Windows. Also.... upon boot-up, it doesn't recognize the Wi-Fi signal, but after ANOTHER reboot, then it does. None of these issues were present when the laptop was running Windows 7. On another machine, a desktop with Windows 10 Pro, there was an operating system version update that just wouldn't work. It would download the update (which sometimes took hours), then get stuck at 32%.... and just did nothing. Once I tried leaving that desktop on for 12 hours, but the screen stayed the same...... so I manually shut it off, and upon rebooting it showed an error message that the update wasn't successful, and it was restoring the "previous version" of Windows. This same scenario occurred with an updating Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 on another desktop. If your wife's computer updated from Windows 7 or 8.1, that might be the root cause. I've noticed that only a CLEAN INSTALL of Windows 10 will work like it should, at least as far as updates go.
    "
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170107_225301.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	40263  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170107_225645.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	40264  

Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by menespac View Post
    @joecass, it is Windows 10 in default. it is a DIY computer
    Looks like you are correct.
    Not that I know anything about w10 but have read on forums and such.
    I bet there is no way to keep w10 from talking to MS servers*, LOL, built-in spyware no doubt, probably sifting through all your files and sending back anything it can get it hands on.

Just a few years ago, geeks of all kinds wouldn't have touched w10 with a 10ft pole but now everyone "doesn't have anything to hide".
    Sorry for the tirade...but all the problems of updates...and forced updates and non-selective updates...must be a lot of fun to play with.

OMG! One of these days I'll have to use w10 too but not today or tomorrow for sure.
    It might be that fateful day when W7 is no longer supported by hardware...which looks like it is happening fast.

Maybe I'll just keep W7 on old hardware and dual-boot a linux distro of some sort...or w10 and linux with w10 offline...
    I no longer need cutting edge tech. and don't video encode anymore anyway...

*No-one really knows for sure whether those "fixes" really keeps all backdoors from phoning home, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  18. [PSA] Windows 10 Anniversary Update is no longer deferred.

Booted up my Win 10 Pro rig last night as was met with a large and lengthy upgrade. I've had Upgrades Deferred since I built this rig a little over a year ago, but it looks like I was finally forced to the 1607 build. Everything seems to have gone smoothly and I haven't found any issues yet. Of course this all happened right before I did my weekly image. So if anyone else was avoiding the 1607 build, image now and get ready. Either that or turn off updates completely.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Why are you not already running AU? For those of us running modern software, AU was unavoidable and closer to a SP1 version of 1511 anyway. If you are running from an image, why do you have upgrades turned on? Read post #347. My build image does not have a single update. It is a pristine install of Win10 AU. I simply apply the latest non-buggy cumulative update whenever I reload an image. It takes a few minutes, but it is a small price to pay versus unwanted and often buggy updates. And it is a much better process than the days of W7 when I had to build images with updates if I wanted to avoid the endless update process after a reload.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I've had them left on because I honestly haven't seen hardly any updates since I deferred them. Only minor update every couple of months that take moments. I also work on a lot of client computers that run Windows 10 so I need to see the problems coming before they do. I guess I'm my own test subject.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why are you not already running AU? For those of us running modern software, AU was unavoidable and closer to a SP1 version of 1511 anyway. If you are running from an image, why do you have upgrades turned on? Read post #347. My build image does not have a single update. It is a pristine install of Win10 AU. I simply apply the latest non-buggy cumulative update whenever I reload an image. It takes a few minutes, but it is a small price to pay versus unwanted and often buggy updates. And it is a much better process than the days of W7 when I had to build images with updates if I wanted to avoid the endless update process after a reload.
    Where are you obtaining (single ?) cumulative updates ? Perhaps things have changed ? Pre-10, the sources I was aware of for these collections were -- ahem -- shall we say unofficial. So, you might never be 100 % sure that the package was safe -- that no one could have messed with it.

Another problem, at least for the from-MS updates, is this Rollup model they seem to have moved to. If we are being limited to "uni-baskets" of updates now, how to separate the wheat from the chaff ? MS has released far too many destructive updates for me to trust such a process.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  22. These days even Windows 7 is getting "rollups" They're making monthly update packages for all the current MS OSes. And yeah I don't like it either. In some instances it's fine. If you are doing a fresh install and want to bring it fully up to date quicker then a rollup is the way to go. But doing all monthly updates like this removes your ability to avoid problematic updates.
    Quote Quote  
  23. ^^Please see post #347 for the link to MS's cumulative build history. It is a little secret that only IT geeks usually know about. If you feel that is some "unofficial", non-safe method, then I suppose there is always the option to download each KB individually and roll your own cumulative update process. Personally, I have no time for such fussiness, but I am not a IT geek who has clients that depend on me and thus needs to test every single KB. But one thing I know for sure, I am never doing the OTA update process again. The only updates I put on my system are the ones I deploy manually.

Re: Perhaps things have changed? Ummm, yes, were you not around in 2016 when the update process for W7 broke?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    ^^Please see post #347 for the link to MS's cumulative build history. It is a little secret that only IT geeks usually know about. If you feel that is some "unofficial", non-safe method, then I suppose there is always the option to download each KB individually and roll your own cumulative update process. Personally, I have no time for such fussiness, but I am not a IT geek who has clients that depend on me and thus needs to test every single KB. But one thing I know for sure, I am never doing the OTA update process again. The only updates I put on my system are the ones I deploy manually.

Re: Perhaps things have changed? Ummm, yes, were you not around in 2016 when the update process for W7 broke?
    I had so many people calling about that one. The only way to really fix it was by installing the latest Update Agent and Rollup. I had several people on mobile plans and Win7 kept trying to download the same failed update over and over again causing massive costs in data overages. It was not a good time to be working tech support.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Definitely around for that -- have left more than a few posts about it here. Still dealing with the aftermath of it, on several machines. But I've seen some big-time failures, so I'm not about to risk the rollups, where I don't know exactly what's in 'em, or what havoc they might wreak. Dealing with individual KBs that bombed severely was bad enough.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I finally upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7(just upgrade no fresh install). No problems yet and it also fixed my nvidia graphics driver issues(I couldn't upgrade the drivers).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I finally upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7(just upgrade no fresh install). No problems yet and it also fixed my nvidia graphics driver issues(I couldn't upgrade the drivers).
    Did you have to buy an upgrade disc or is MS still providing a free upgrade from7-8 to 10 like last year.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gll99 View Post
    ... is MS still providing a free upgrade from7-8 to 10 like last year.
    The free Windows 10 upgrade program ended on July 29th of last year for the general public. It was extended for those using assistive technologies because Windows 10 wasn't compatible with some products in that category. It is still possible for some people to upgrade for free, assuming they qualify for the extension.
    Quote Quote