VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    gang I need some education here. I have good dvd's, retail-purchased, and good equipment and have ripped backups to both mp4 and mkv formats [and avi way back a few years], but the 'dense' action sequences always have a predictable stutter. very maddening.
    no matter what sort of system/hardware I playback on, no matter whether the file is played local or across my LAN, the result is precisely the same. I haven't stopwatched it but to the eye it looks like it is rhythmic - like 3 seconds of smooth, then a hiccup, then another 3 sec or so.

I have used freemake [will not longer use - high risk] and handbrake. I have tried using big files, no compression in order to not lose much in the process, but the result is the same. everything else is great: good image quality, good fidelity, good everything except the irritating stutters.

what am I doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    What is the bit rate and CODEC when you see the stutter?

You could use MediaInfoXP to get the info.

Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The bitrate doesn't matter...it's probably the framerate, 24fps, 25fps, 23.97fps with 3:2 pulldown that might cause problem

Have you just tried make a mkv without any reconversion at all. Use MakeMKV.
    What is your dvd source details? PAL, NTSC ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you friends for help.
    my dvd's are NTSC
    I had not heard of mediainfoxp before so I will download that and figure out how to use it.

No, I have not made a conversion using makemkv. have it downloaded and wanted to come here and ask these questions before creating more big files with the same old issues again. I tried my best to understand instructions on both Handbrake and Freemake to do [I think] as you suggest: original frame rates etc no compression to reduce size. but, I very well may have botched something.

i'll post back with mediainfo results
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    attached is an example file - Fellowship of the Ring "platinum extended" disc 1 converted to mp4
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There's your problem: VFR. That is a Hollywood movie which runs at 24FPS (possibly 23.976 from the transfer),and it shouldn't be anything but that. At CFR. You have lost a good portion of the fluidity with the reduction in your frame rate.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    In handbrake under the Video tab set the Framerate(fps) to Constant Framerate.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ah! thank you so much.
    I did make a backup using makemkv and it looks fine except on ipad air 2 but that's an issue of finding a better lan/streaming player. on the pc devices it looks like the dvd.

so, I should not have problem compressing to say mp4 if I use 'constant frame rate' switch, using handbrake? I have plenty of space on the server and will store 'full' backups in mkv for the inevitable damage to the original dvd media but a smaller file size for the streaming in home would be appropriate.

is avi dead at this point?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oops...

just to end this thread from a year ago: I find on very close exam of the VOB files that the issue appears there also, just not as exaggerated as what I see downstream in conversions based on the decrypted .VOB's. so the issue must have been with the original rip.

no response needed.... thanks all
    Last edited by cognus; 5th Jan 2017 at 16:21.
    Quote Quote