VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello.

I have many BDRips as MKV, but I need to change them to MP4 (for streaming; iTunes to Apple TV). I'm not huge into Apple, but own an Apple TV already and this seems like the easiest way (?).

However, I'm not sure how to do this. The Remuxes I have are easy - just throw then into Handbrake overnight. But I don't know how I can just change the wrapper on rips that are already H.264 encoded.

I also need to change the audio from DTS-HD (usually) to AAC or something Apple TV will play. How can I do both without re-encoding, wasting time, no video quality loss, etc.?

I've tried MKVToMP4, and the conversion worked, but I don't know if this is re-encoding or not? I usually end up with a significantly smaller file.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake can't just remux. It will reconvert the video.

MKVtoMP4 should not reconvert if the video and audio is mp4/itunes compatible. HOw much smaller do they get? Does it take an hour or longer to convert them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Handbrake can't just remux. It will reconvert the video.

MKVtoMP4 should not reconvert if the video and audio is mp4/itunes compatible. HOw much smaller do they get? Does it take an hour or longer to convert them?
    I re-tested MKVtoMP4. It takes anywhere between ~10 to 20 minutes to convert. Many of my Blu-rays are ripped H.264 2-pass with ~15k Kbps average (sometimes ~14k Kbps) with DTS-HD. I also have remuxes, but if I'm converting those I usually just throw them into Handbrake overnight and keep the H264 rip (unless there is a visual difference, but that is rare).

As an example for MKVtoMP4, I tested Edge of Tomorrow; it is 2-pass ~14k Kbps average, DTS-HD, at 15.2 GB. It came out at 11.2 GB with AAC (default settings) and it took ~10 minutes.

Does that sound about right? Is this the most efficient way to do this? I just convert them to M4V so I can stream to Apple TV (or whatever else; not sure what Roku/Chromecast support, but I doubt they play MKV, at the least) and then usually delete them when done (or archive them).

Thanks!
    Last edited by MKV; 30th Jul 2015 at 20:38.
    Quote Quote