VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. delete
    Last edited by tpq; 29th Jul 2015 at 03:40.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Hi newbee.

Are you going to re-release moviez? This kind of situation and questions suggests it strongly...

Don't waste time and energy. Don't support climate change.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe you should read /study some topics @ AnimeSuki...

and NOT post any questions
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    500MB might be good for (1) 20 min episode
    12 shows compressed to that size, quality is going to be terrible, beyond that its going to be abysmal

maybe fit for a $19 pocket video player or a low quailty phone display
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I don't think he wants to compress "12 episodes to 500 MB overall", possibly rather "each episode to 500 MB". But even 500 MB per 1080p episode is ... optimistic, I believe. May require some prefiltering and parameter voodoo. But I don't have this specific kind of knowledge some "moviez release groups" may love to brag with.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you could be right
    12 shows would be 6gb and fit on one DL DVD
    but i agreed thats too much compression for 1080 res
    and he did not state what the source is, BR rip or, PC capture, what res for the source
    if he is ripping A DVD and want to upscale while compressing, that is really a waste of work, the results will be terrible
    Quote Quote  
  7. try with crf 32 on ultrafast see if you are happy with that and if it works. I am not familiar with what you mean by anime serial, but 20 min will come in under 500mb
    Quote Quote  
  8. delete
    Last edited by tpq; 29th Jul 2015 at 03:39.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i'm not a movie professional
    but from the stuff i've been doing, what you want can't be done..not at 1080res
    maybe at 240res fit for an old phone
    but 12 shows about 40meg each , can't be done at 1080
    like you said 500mb is avg for (1) your trying to reduce to 1/12 that size
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by tpq View Post
    I didn't want to be extremely rude...
    You already have been, by asking people to hand you everything on a platter and by not doing your homework. And by insulting our intelligence.

Let's see, 12 episodes at 25 minutes each (5 hours worth) for a a total of 500 MB, and this is minus the audio (22x12=264 MB) and muxing overhead. Or is the 500 MB for the video alone? And all at 1080p. And you freely admit you know nothing about encoding. Actually, you didn't even have to admit that as anyone can figure that out for himself just by reading what you wrote.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  11. delete
    Last edited by tpq; 29th Jul 2015 at 03:39.
    Quote Quote  
  12. delete
    Last edited by tpq; 29th Jul 2015 at 03:38.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    I am not a movie professional either. But I have my experiences too. And from my experience, setting a low file size as the most important target and then trying to retain as much quality as is left, is often not a satisfying method. Different material has different requirements. You will be interested in either little files for easy transfer, or enough quality for satisfactory viewing experience. Compromises are as hard as the limits you expect.

"Simply choosing a slow preset" is no satisfying approach either. The encoder may spend more time searching for reducable redundancies and sparing a little bitrate for more details. But it will spare only little, compared to more bitrate (either as target or caused by a smaller rate factor). There is no substitute for bitrate when it comes to preserving quality (as there is no substitute for cylinder capacity when it comes to engine power of a car).

Let's get back to a good old method of estimating, not very exact but quite obvious: the "pixel bitrate" in "bits per pixel and frame". I'll nicely assume 24 fps...

500 MiByte * 1024 Ki/Mi * 1024/Ki * 8 bit/Byte : 1920 : 1080 : 25 min : 60 s/min : 24 fps ~ 0.0562 bppf

In earlier times, a minimum pixel bitrate, depending on the codec, was recommended around 0.3 for DivX, 0.25 for Xvid, 0.2 for x264. HEVC is no magic, it won't look amazing at a quarter of the bitrate recommended for AVC.
    Quote Quote  
  14. delete
    Last edited by tpq; 29th Jul 2015 at 03:38.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Nope. We don't want you to convince to waste space by blowing up your encodes unnecessary. Just the opposite: We want to convince you not to waste space with encodes you will never watch again because they look so ugly.

There are sensible limits, caused by laws of natural science. We will be happy to help people finding a good compromise in conditions of good quality. But we will also explain which conditions are simply unrealistic. And we are not happy about being insulted.

We don't want to waste our precious leisure time to recommend settings to produce ugly copies you won't want to ever watch again. It is easy to "flat-iron" videos by exaggerating spatio-temporal denoisers. Until it will introduce artefacts.

Regarding the media players of rich people's hype devices: Blame their software developers. Not us. Their ignorance and laziness limits the encoding features you may use to create compliant results.
    Quote Quote