VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 43
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Search PM
    I need a short 8 second clip edited. There is a guy lifting a barbell and putting it back down. I need the outermost plate on one side of the barbell to appear slightly wider throughout the clip. I tried doing it in After Effects using the rotobrush tool but it doesn't look smooth at all because the rotobrush outline has too much chatter from frame to frame. Could I request someone to do this for me?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Search PM
    I would be willing to pay you through paypal
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member budwzr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    City Of Angels
    Search Comp PM
    Post the clip so we can look at it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Search PM
    Attached
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Search PM
    Sorry, that is a low quality one. Here is the high quality video:
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Search PM
    I just need the left most plate (the small one) to appear a bit thicker.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member budwzr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    City Of Angels
    Search Comp PM
    Which left side? According to the view? Or the person lifting?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Search PM
    The viewer. The smaller plate isn't visible on the other side
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Search PM
    Think it can be done?
    Quote Quote  
  10. It's more difficult that you think, at least if you want it to look seamless and realistic:

    1) Enlarging the plate wider means moving the collar as well

    2) The motion blur in some frames makes it more difficult to match seamlessly

    3) The lighting changes and there is a flicker to the clip - again this makes it more difficult to match .

    4) There are compression artifacts and noise . The artifacts make it much more difficult to match . It won't look authentic, or it will look "doctored" - because it's difficult to match the original noise pattern and grain . What is often done is degraining, deflickering - then applying the changes and compositing, then regraining and adding the flicker back . But you might just want to leave it "clean" .

    But this clip looks to be re-encoded. You should cut a piece with a non-reencoding editor (e.g. cut on keyframes) to get the best possible chance and best results and upload that
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member budwzr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    City Of Angels
    Search Comp PM
    I just did it. I have an image sequence ready. But I don't have a render template yet. I've never rendered to 720 portrait.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    I just did it. I have an image sequence ready. But I don't have a render template yet. I've never rendered to 720 portrait.
    Could I take a look?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    It's more difficult that you think, at least if you want it to look seamless and realistic:

    1) Enlarging the plate wider means moving the collar as well

    2) The motion blur in some frames makes it more difficult to match seamlessly

    3) The lighting changes and there is a flicker to the clip - again this makes it more difficult to match .

    4) There are compression artifacts and noise . The artifacts make it much more difficult to match . It won't look authentic, or it will look "doctored" - because it's difficult to match the original noise pattern and grain . What is often done is degraining, deflickering - then applying the changes and compositing, then regraining and adding the flicker back . But you might just want to leave it "clean" .

    But this clip looks to be re-encoded. You should cut a piece with a non-reencoding editor (e.g. cut on keyframes) to get the best possible chance and best results and upload that
    Hmm, makes sense.
    However, the quality of the clip isn't very important. Could it be made more "real" looking if we just made the quality of the video lower, so it was a little blurry? Kind of like the first video I uploaded. It was more blurry, but that quality would do.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Just curious, why do you want to widen the plate?

    It's a decent lift for a young guy, but he needs to hold it at the top longer, and work on his technique
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member budwzr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    City Of Angels
    Search Comp PM
    [Oops]
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.png
Views:	467
Size:	644.3 KB
ID:	32817  

    Last edited by budwzr; 25th Jul 2015 at 23:18.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by misterskittles View Post

    Hmm, makes sense.
    However, the quality of the clip isn't very important. Could it be made more "real" looking if we just made the quality of the video lower, so it was a little blurry? Kind of like the first video I uploaded. It was more blurry, but that quality would do.
    No, as a general rule, you always want to acquire at the highest quality possible. You can always "dumb" it down later, (ie. degrade the footage) but you can't "increase" the quality after shooting a low quality clip

    But background context certainly helps here - why are you doing this ? Why widen the plate ? If quality of the clip isn't important... ?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Here's a still from the middle. It's slightly off and needs fine-tuning, but it looks OK during playback. You can see what I did if you want to try again in AE.

    Image
    [Attachment 32817 - Click to enlarge]
    Hmm, sorry to sound like a dick, but I don't see the difference. I think you might have thickened the wrong side? The smaller plate on the left side (for the viewer) is what I wanted thickened.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by misterskittles View Post

    Hmm, makes sense.
    However, the quality of the clip isn't very important. Could it be made more "real" looking if we just made the quality of the video lower, so it was a little blurry? Kind of like the first video I uploaded. It was more blurry, but that quality would do.
    No, as a general rule, you always want to acquire at the highest quality possible. You can always "dumb" it down later, (ie. degrade the footage) but you can't "increase" the quality after shooting a low quality clip

    But background context certainly helps here - why are you doing this ? Why widen the plate ? If quality of the clip isn't important... ?
    I work at a gym and we have a page where we post best lifts performed at the gym for weight classes. The guy in the clip pulled 475 right after this was filmed but the record button wasn't hit. We still want him to be on the page, but would prefer if it looked like 475 instead of 455 (here in the clip). So, we want the outer plate to resemble a 35 instead of a 25.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member budwzr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    City Of Angels
    Search Comp PM
    Hahaha, no you're not a dick. I did the wrong one.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by misterskittles View Post

    I work at a gym and we have a page where we post best lifts performed at the gym for weight classes. The guy in the clip pulled 475 right after this was filmed but the record button wasn't hit. We still want him to be on the page, but would prefer if it looked like 475 instead of 455 (here in the clip). So, we want the outer plate to resemble a 35 instead of a 25.

    A 35 in most barbell sets should be both thicker and have a larger radius . So on the bar, in the way this camera shot was oriented - it would look both wider and taller. But I think in these types of weight sets, only the radius is larger - correct me if I'm wrong or if you can post a picture of a 35 next to a 45 in that set . Because if it was the same thickness, only the radius was larger, the collar would not be pushed out

    Yes, it's still a respectable lift - how much does he weigh? He's not your typical short/squat lifter too
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by misterskittles View Post

    I work at a gym and we have a page where we post best lifts performed at the gym for weight classes. The guy in the clip pulled 475 right after this was filmed but the record button wasn't hit. We still want him to be on the page, but would prefer if it looked like 475 instead of 455 (here in the clip). So, we want the outer plate to resemble a 35 instead of a 25.

    A 35 in most barbell sets should be both thicker and have a larger radius . So on the bar, in the way this camera shot was oriented - it would look both wider and taller. But I think in these types of weight sets, only the radius is larger - correct me if I'm wrong or if you can post a picture of a 35 next to a 45 in that set . Because if it was the same thickness, only the radius was larger, the collar would not be pushed out

    Yes, it's still a respectable lift - how much does he weigh? He's not your typical short/squat lifter too
    The 35 is slightly taller and a bit thicker but from this angle, just thickening the 25 would be good enough for us. He weighs 148 lbs, so this was over triple his bodyweight which is considered elite at our gym.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member budwzr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    City Of Angels
    Search Comp PM
    It's too much work because of the window. The right side has a more uniform background.

    If I were you, I would render it out as a still image, then make a trans alpha cutout and add it on top. Easier than roto, but still tedious.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    It's too much work because of the window. The right side has a more uniform background.
    It's alright, don't worry about it. Thanks for taking the time to actually edit the video though.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Yes, that is very good for 148 . How old is he ?

    Let's see what budwzr comes up with first
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member budwzr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    City Of Angels
    Search Comp PM
    Somebody else here might want to give it a try. You might wait a while.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member budwzr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    City Of Angels
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Let's see what budwzr comes up with first
    Hahaha, I hand you off the baton Maybe one of those AviUtil wizards can do it. They talk a loud game.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Yeah it's actually tricky because of those things I mentioned earlier. I have some free time tomorrow, so I can probably give it a shot then

    If you need it done fast, you can look at fiverr.com, someone there will probably do it quickly
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Yeah it's actually tricky because of those things I mentioned earlier. I have some free time tomorrow, so I can probably give it a shot then

    If you need it done fast, you can look at fiverr.com, someone there will probably do it quickly
    Ehh, yea I wanted to put it up tonight. I'll just put this video up with a comment saying he hit 475 after. He's 21 by the way. Thank you for the help/info guys
    Quote Quote  
  29. Very good, he's only going to improve. Many years before strength peaks
    Quote Quote  
  30. aBigMeanie aedipuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    666th portal
    Search Comp PM
    it could be done but it's really a frame by frame job to do it and have it look realistic.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	32818
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads