VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I put several video clips together; the result was a large file about 700MB. In order to share the video with my friends I wanted to upload them to free sites. They all have file size limitations. Handbrake was used to compress the mp4 file and it worked [i.e. could play on pc; could upload and play video on internet]. It was also burned to a DVD. From the DVD it plays with Win Media Player. However, when it was placed in a DVD player connected to a flat screen TV it said bad disk.

Original mp4 file burned to the DVD plays OK with the DVD player.

Can the mp4 file be compressed and still have the result readable by the DVD player. If so, what are the key parameters?
    Last edited by jalea148; 24th Jul 2015 at 18:41. Reason: forgot a line.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The DVD spec does not include MP4 files at all. Very few DVD players (almost none) have the ability to play them. Blu-ray players are more likely to support MP4 (depending on codecs, etc.) but it's not part of the Blu-ray spec either.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    +1 to jagabo's post.

Also, check out What Is DVD? https://www.videohelp.com/dvd on this site and you'll see that the requirements for creating a DVD that can be played on standalone players are very strict.

If you want to upload your video to free file sharing sites, you'll probably have to split the file into smaller pieces (typically 100-250megs) with programs like HJSplit or WinRAR. Whoever downloads the file has to use the same type of program to join the parts.

Alternately, since you say you've combined multiple smaller files, you could upload them separately as long as they're within the range of upload limits.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    If you want to upload your video to free file sharing sites, you'll probably have to split the file into smaller pieces (typically 100-250megs) with programs like HJSplit or WinRAR.
    I've got several 4GB+ complete DVDs on Mega so it depends on the site. If I remember correctly, MediaFire has a 200MB limit and I usually RAR them for upload.
    Originally Posted by jalea148 View Post
    Can the mp4 file be compressed and still have the result readable by the DVD player.
    If you create a proper DVD, yes. You've already been shown the link for the DVD specs.
    If you just burned the MP4 to disc without first converting the audio and video to DVD audio and video and then authoring it, then I'm not sure I believe you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have seen a few DVD players that play MP4 files. But only if they use Divx/Xvid as the video codec.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just thought of something else. What is the source format of your files before converting to MP4? It's unlikely given the combined file size, 700mb, but if they're MPEG-2, they're already DVD compliant and likely will play directly on a DVD player. Likewise, if they're DVIX / XVID and the DVD player(s) are capable of playing that format, you're good to go!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    What is the source format of your files before converting to MP4?
    The sources were MP4. Then he reencoded them with Handbrake to make them smaller MP4s for sharing:

Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jalea148 View Post

Can the mp4 file be compressed and still have the result readable by the DVD player. If so, what are the key parameters?
    Not trying to be sarcastic, but from the little info you've provided, you're looking for a solution to something that isn't really a problem? If the original 700mb video plays fine in your dvd player, and you still have that file archived, why the heck do you care if the compressed share-able Handbrake version isn't compatible with DVD players? There's a piece missing from your question, because otherwise this doesn't make sense. No one here bothers with archiving compressed files to dvd if the higher-quality originals are still small enough to fit DVD capacity. You can fit both your original 700mb file plus the Handbrake derivative plus several other videos on a dvd data disc. So I can't see what your actual issue is here?

Unless you want the friends who download the Handbrake version to be able to play it on their dvd players? Thats a different problem, and one you may not be able to solve for them: as others have said, the vast majority of dvd players cannot handle MP4 files- they barely handle DiVX/AVI reliably. (BluRay players will typically play almost anything I've thrown at them.) Unless your friends convert the downloaded Handbrake file into a formal DVD with a utility like AVS2DVD or DVDflick, it usually won't play on a standard DVD player. If your friends aren't geeks, it might be simpler and kinder for you to just do this for them (from the 700mb original) and mail out physical DVDs to whoever needs one.

Making the Handbrake variation "more compatible" could be more trouble than its worth, and the re-conversion will likely drop the picture quality even further. If your original edit was ginormous, the effort might make sense, but I certainly would not bother if my original was just 700mb. Again, perhaps if you clarify your reasoning a bit more, we can give more useful answers.
    Last edited by orsetto; 25th Jul 2015 at 12:09.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    I put several video clips together; the result was a large file about 700MB. In order to share the video with my friends I wanted to upload them to free sites.
    Throw it on YouTube (if necessary unlisted or access restricted)

Problem solved!

Quote Quote  
  10. This is my friend's DVD Player. It and Windows Media Player and VLC can play the wmv versions. Only VLC plays the mpg version. From what I've read I expected the DVD Player to play the mpg and not the wmv.
    Quote Quote  
  11. How did wmv suddenly get into this conversation (in post #10?)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jalea, did you actully author a DVD
    or did you just burn 700MB onto a 4.7GB dvd as a 700mb MP4 file
    or did you put these on a CD and call it a DVD

if you actully took the time to author a DVD it should play anywhere
    an if you are going to the expense of using DVD discs there is no reason to waste unused space by burning data discs that won't play

author the files into a DVD correct file structure using avs2dvd
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jalea148 View Post
    Only VLC plays the mpg version. From what I've read I expected the DVD Player to play the mpg and not the wmv.
    DVD players play MPEG 2 video when properly authored in to a VOB/IFO/BUP set, but they usually don't play MPG files.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    Not trying to be sarcastic, but from the little info you've provided, you're looking for a solution to something that isn't really a problem? If the original 700mb video plays fine in your dvd player, and you still have that file archived, why the heck do you care if the compressed share-able Handbrake version isn't compatible with DVD players? There's a piece missing from your question, because otherwise this doesn't make sense. No one here bothers with archiving compressed files to dvd if the higher-quality originals are still small enough to fit DVD capacity. You can fit both your original 700mb file plus the Handbrake derivative plus several other videos on a dvd data disc. So I can't see what your actual issue is here?
    I thought the problem was pretty clear.

In order to share the video with my friends I wanted to upload them to free sites. They all have file size limitations.
    Quote Quote  
  15. The problem's very likely to be Handbrake's h264 video in the new MP4s, as opposed to the original MP4s which probably contained Xvid/Divx encoded video.

I owned a DVD player years ago that wouldn't play AVI or MP4, but it would play mpeg files burned to disc. It required the user to select a particular menu in order to see the files though. They didn't just appear in a menu when you inserted the disc. It was a long time ago......

Since then the DVD players I've owned have all played Xvid/Divx encoded video in AVIs, and I think one would also play the same video in an MP4.

You probably just need a program capable of Xvid encoding. I think the last version of Handbrake that could was 0.9.3.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    The problem's very likely to be Handbrake's h264 video in the new MP4s, as opposed to the original MP4s which probably contained Xvid/Divx encoded video.

I owned a DVD player years ago that wouldn't play AVI or MP4, but it would play mpeg files burned to disc. It required the user to select a particular menu in order to see the files though. They didn't just appear in a menu when you inserted the disc. It was a long time ago......

Since then the DVD players I've owned have all played Xvid/Divx encoded video in AVIs, and I think one would also play the same video in an MP4.

You probably just need a program capable of Xvid encoding. I think the last version of Handbrake that could was 0.9.3.
    grazia mille [1000 thanx]
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    You probably just need a program capable of Xvid encoding.
    I mentioned that in post #5. There are probably limitations on the audio codec as well. AAC probably won't work. Try MP3.

But beware: your friends' DVD players are unlikely to be able to play the files.
    Last edited by jagabo; 26th Jul 2015 at 09:36.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are uploading to file sharing
    Aren't your friends just going to watch the videos on their pc
    Are they going to dl and then burn a disc, if not , then compatibility is not an issue
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post

I thought the problem was pretty clear.

In order to share the video with my friends I wanted to upload them to free sites. They all have file size limitations.
    That is the line that led to 'guess the question' answers. OP didn't connect the dots to clarify his actual question was "how come my friends can't play these Handbrake-shrunk files in their DVD players after downloading?" which would have gotten him applicable answers immediately. Instead, it read as "I made this Handbrake compressed file so my friends could more easily download it" (period, end of friends involvement) "but I notice it won't play in my dvd player like the original version does- why is that?"(which seemed unrelated to the "friends" in any way, and kind of rhetorical, since his original file is not huge and does play in his dvd player).

99 out of 100 people who upload files for their friends do it with the assumption the friends will play the files on their PC immediately upon downloading. Most of us here are pretty good at parsing vaguely worded questions, but this one was a pip. Downloading a video from a friend, then burning the file to a data dvd assuming it will just play on a random dvd player, is not a workflow that instantly crosses the mind when reading the OP. But all's well that ends well: he appears satisfied with what you proposed (the Handbrake file should be chucked and done over altogether as Xvid instead of MP4, to maximize compatibility with the broadest range of dvd players).
    Last edited by orsetto; 26th Jul 2015 at 11:53.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    he appears satisfied with what you proposed (the Handbrake file should be chucked and done over altogether as Xvid instead of MP4...
    He's satisfied until his friends begin complaining again that the XviD AVIs won't play in their DVD players.

I agree with you that the information supplied is not only incomplete but misleading.
    Quote Quote