VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. can anyone tell me how i can compress a movie on dvd r in windows movie maker and is there anyway to speed up dvd maker encoding ??
    i don't know how to use avs dvd either so plaese let me know how to do it with movie maker - thank you in advance

2. Member
    Search PM
    Do you believe in miracles? ... I don't.

The only way to compress so much video down to so little space is to make it with either so bad quality or so tiny image area that you won't want to watch it again.

3. Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    Do you believe in miracles? ... I don't.

The only way to compress so much video down to so little space is to make it with either so bad quality or so tiny image area that you won't want to watch it again.
    ok , i thought that it would be able to do it . its not a disc i need to save as i only use them for my dad to watch his programs daily kind of like using tevo . my appoligies as i thought this could be done and thank you for letting me know

4. Member
    Search PM
    Well, basically it may be possible to fit the video. But the result won't be satisfying.

You'll have to calculate an average bitrate.
    • A DVD+R has a nominal capacity of decimal 4.7 billion bytes, equal to 37.6 billion bits (8 bit = 1 byte).
    • 6 hours are equal to 21600 seconds.
    • Dividing both returns an average bitrate of about 1740 kbps for everything (video and audio and some container overhead).
    Subtracting some usual audio bitrate (not sure about WMA, maybe 160 kbps for stereo), the rest of the bitrate for the video should not exceed 1500 kbps. That won't look great, but may be acceptable at a reduced dimension. Possibly around 640x360 or similar.

Now ... Movie Maker is among the tools I never used, I can't tell you how to use it optimally. I hope you will get some more advices...

5. Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    Well, basically it may be possible to fit the video. But the result won't be satisfying.

You'll have to calculate an average bitrate.
    • A DVD+R has a nominal capacity of decimal 4.7 billion bytes, equal to 37.6 billion bits (8 bit = 1 byte).
    • 6 hours are equal to 21600 seconds.
    • Dividing both returns an average bitrate of about 1740 kbps for everything (video and audio and some container overhead).
    Subtracting some usual audio bitrate (not sure about WMA, maybe 160 kbps for stereo), the rest of the bitrate for the video should not exceed 1500 kbps. That won't look great, but may be acceptable at a reduced dimension. Possibly around 640x360 or similar.

Now ... Movie Maker is among the tools I never used, I can't tell you how to use it optimally. I hope you will get some more advices...
    ok thank you i'm sure your right it won't look good . WOW i truly appreciate you figuing out all that info for me and sharin it , truly appreciate this .

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by memphis77 View Post
    can anyone tell me how i can compress a movie on dvd r in windows movie maker and is there anyway to speed up dvd maker encoding ??
    i don't know how to use avs dvd either so plaese let me know how to do it with movie maker - thank you in advance
    Remember this thread? https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/373111-how-do-i-fit-6-hours-of-dvd-using-windows-dv...76#post2401476

Windows Movie Maker creates DVDs using Windows DVD Maker. You are already aware that Windows Movie Maker won't allow more than 2.5 hours of video per DVD. Why would you think that would magically change if you access it with Movie Maker? The only way to speed up Windows DVD Maker is to use a faster PC.

A friendly word of advice: Posting the same or very similar questions in multiple threads as you have been doing recently is against forum rules. Just add to your existing thread if you have more questions in the same vein.

7. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by memphis77 View Post
    can anyone tell me how i can compress a movie on dvd r in windows movie maker and is there anyway to speed up dvd maker encoding ??
    Remember this thread? https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/373111-how-do-i-fit-6-hours-of-dvd-using-windows-dv...76#post2401476

Windows Movie Maker creates DVDs using Windows DVD Maker. You are already aware that Windows Movie Maker won't allow more than 2.5 hours of video per DVD. Why would you think that would magically change if you access it with Movie Maker? The only way to speed up Windows DVD Maker is to use a faster PC.

A friendly word of advice: Posting the same or very similar questions in multiple threads as you have been doing recently is against forum rules. Just add to your existing thread if you have more questions in the same vein.
    ok sorry for this . i will delete this tread and i appolligise usuallyquiet

8. Member
    Search PM
    Windows Movie Maker, on its own, will produce rather WMV files instead of "DVD Video"; this result won't be playable by a "legacy" DVD player. WMV may look a bit better than MPEG-2 in DVD Video at the same bitrate. Still, it will reduce the details a lot (similar to DivX 3).

9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    memphis77, Do not post the same topic on several forums.
    Please do not cross post, once is enough.

Continue in: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/373111-how-do-i-fit-6-hours-of-dvd-using-windows-dv...76#post2401476

Moderator redwudz