VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can access any discs only from fresh restart, after I open drive, any disc I put in won't show up in my computer and all programs will see the drive as empty. Except anydvdHD which can see the volume label & still back up.

I did try swamping the sata cable & also mobo sata ports but it still does it. A new BD-R writer later & it still does it.

My motherboard is old & I can't find any refurbished, any ideas on a possible fix in the os?

my specs: gigabyte p55, 4gb ram, vista ultimate 32-bit, don't know if any more specs or anything are needed.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. What if you open the drive in Windows Explorer (right click on it and select Explore or something along those lines) and then use the View/Refresh menu (or CRTL+R), or if you can't open it by right clicking, try left clicking on the drive to select it and then refreshing.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    What if you open the drive in Windows Explorer (right click on it and select Explore or something along those lines) and then use the View/Refresh menu (or CRTL+R), or if you can't open it by right clicking, try left clicking on the drive to select it and then refreshing.
    When I try that, it opens the drive & asks for a disc. Tried what you suggested, doesn't work.

With this problem, the drive icon in my comp sees a disc, its different icon toi when no disc is in drive, but still can't access anything.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This mentions the missing drive problem.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not knowing how long since os was reinstalled cleanly then use this link from ms

Includes upper and lower filter issue in registry.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks all, seems to work, Ill give it some time to see in a few weeks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Deleting the upper & lower filters worked up until now. But the lower filter entry comes back.
    Would this be some program causing this? Anyway to find out?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IIRC ImgBurn lists the filters and programs under the 'Tools' tab.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sambat View Post
    IIRC ImgBurn lists the filters and programs under the 'Tools' tab.
    So far everything is unknown, but I seem to have found what causes this. It seems to happen when I already have WMP open, soon as I close it, the disc is my computer is recognized & autoplay loads up.

Not sure why or what it means.
    Quote Quote