VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a home video in DVD format which plays fine on a DVD player, but for a slight stall at about 25% in but plays through it on several different DVD players.

I wanted to extract the vob files so I can convert them to a better format for online tranfer and sharing.

Having extracted all the vob files with Isobuster (showing a few read errors), of which there are 5 4 x 1gb size and last at 455mb, ONLY the first vob plays with VLC Player, but none of the remaining ones do. Yet these play in DVD format on a DVD device/player from start to finish?

I have also loaded the vobs into several editors and converters to see if this would resolve it during conversion and output, but they show as corrupt when loaded into any editor.

I extracted them all again with Isobuster (Isobuster did take some time and showed some read errors, but I dont understand how these play OK on several DVD players but not the individual vobs having been extracted with Isobuster.

I then attmpeted to creat an iso of the disc in full with ImgBurn and PowerIso but got too many read errors to compelte.

On examining the vob files themselves, I found that all are showing correct file sizes (3 x 1gb and 1 x 455mb, but the data showing VobEdit is all blank: Such as 000002 (Uknown Pack), aaaa.

I understand th efile smay be corrupt o rmost liely not extracting succesfully but it seems daft that I could actually screen capture the video playback in real time on th efly direct from the DVD drive and do it that way, but seems there msust be somethign to allow me to access the vobs another way when they are sound enough to playback in th eusal way on a DVD player?!

Can anyone help with this at all or give advice what I can do to extract these succesfully?

Can someone tell me how to anlayse the vob files or those on the disc and what I should look for?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You need to get a good, (read)error free copy of the contents first.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can try other drives e.g. another computer, at a friends house . Some are better at handling damaged discs
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try to extract with dvddecrypter or even just copy/paste from the dvd to your HDD (should work if this is a home recording)

Also ask of this is a +R or -R disk. And are the files on the disk standard dvd-video (see what is a DVD at top of page is you arer not sure) or do you see some odd file names not on that list.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Try to extract with dvddecrypter or even just copy/paste from the dvd to your HDD (should work if this is a home recording)

Also ask of this is a +R or -R disk. And are the files on the disk standard dvd-video (see what is a DVD at top of page is you arer not sure) or do you see some odd file names not on that list.
    Thanks for responses. This is a DVD+r and the file structure looks right, see image 1 .

Having said that and in response to the point about odd looking files, I do have an OPENDVD Directory aswell as VIDEO_TS see image 2
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	32704
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	32703
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DunkUK101 View Post
    This is a DVD+r and the file structure looks right, see image 1
    Just for future reference and head off all of the possible future fanboy nonsense....it doesn't matter if the disc is +R or -R.
    This disc is simply either damaged or authored badly....maybe even authored badly on purpose. Many of these companies
    that sell you a disc of a wedding add their own "poor man's copy protection" to the disc....IE it's authored incorrectly.
    Try taking one piece at a time via simply copy & paste in windows....see if you get all of the VIDEO_TS folder contents that way.
    Quote Quote  
  7. All extracted perfectly with DVDDecrypter! Thanks DB83

It seemed (for the first time in my experience) that Isobuster wasn't the best tool for extraction in this case, but DVDDecrypter instead. It found no read errors and was a perfect decrypt.

Conspiracy theories aside and unfounded accusations against unnamed 'companies', but it wasn't a wedding/photographer/DVD creator or anyone doing this but a family member.

Thanks to all those giving helpful assistance here to resolve it in not time.
    Last edited by DunkUK101; 22nd Jul 2015 at 12:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Conspiracy theries aside and unfounded accusations against unnamed 'companies', but it wasn't a wedding/photographer/DVD creator or anyone doing this but a family member.
    That's not what I meant but.....I'm glad it worked out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry m8 (I guess you mean me) but there is a video-recording mode for DVD+R which looks similar to a dvd-video disk yet is slightly different.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Sorry m8 (I guess you mean me) but there is a video-recording mode for DVD+R which looks similar to a dvd-video disk yet is slightly different.
    I know.....that was not what I meant either. I worded that terribly.....MY FAULT.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Not at all DB83! Your suggestion of using DVDDecrypter fixed it fo rme so I was thanking you.

I was referring to the post hech54 made:
    "it doesn't matter if the disc is +R or -R.This disc is simply either damaged or authored badly....maybe even authored badly on purpose. Many of these companies that sell you a disc of a wedding add their own "poor man's copy protection" to the disc.."

but Hech54 had subsequently said he had not meant it that way so no harm done all round...

Thanks again to all who helped me fix this issue
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a home video in DVD format which plays fine on a DVD player, but for a slight stall at about 25% in but plays through it on several different DVD players.

I wanted to extract the vob files so I can convert them to a better format for online tranfer and sharing.

Having extracted all the vob files with Isobuster (showing a few read errors), of which there are 5 4 x 1gb size and last at 455mb, ONLY the first vob plays with VLC Player, but none of the remaining ones do. Yet these play in DVD format on a DVD device/player from start to finish?

I have also loaded the vobs into several editors and converters to see if this would resolve it during conversion and output, but they show as corrupt when loaded into any editor.

I extracted them all again with Isobuster (Isobuster did take some time and showed some read errors, but I dont understand how these play OK on several DVD players but not the individual vobs having been extracted with Isobuster.

I then attmpeted to creat an iso of the disc in full with ImgBurn and PowerIso but got too many read errors to compelte.

On examining the vob files themselves, I found that all are showing correct file sizes (3 x 1gb and 1 x 455mb, but the data showing VobEdit is all blank: Such as 000002 (Uknown Pack), aaaa.

I understand th efile smay be corrupt o rmost liely not extracting succesfully but it seems daft that I could actually screen capture the video playback in real time on th efly direct from the DVD drive and do it that way, but seems there msust be somethign to allow me to access the vobs another way when they are sound enough to playback in th eusal way on a DVD player?!

Can anyone help with this at all or give advice what I can do to extract these succesfully?

Can someone tell me how to anlayse the vob files or those on the disc and what I should look for?
    Have you spoken to the people AT Isobuster, I have Isobuster but have never figured out HOW to use it at all. good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by mikethomas1954 View Post
    I have a home video in DVD format which plays fine on a DVD player, but for a slight stall at about 25% in but plays through it on several different DVD players.

Have you spoken to the people AT Isobuster, I have Isobuster but have never figured out HOW to use it at all. good luck.
    Yes I have spoken to Peter at Isobuster many times on this matter and others. Isobuster for me has always worked perfectly on every disc and I have not needed to use anything else for creating images on retrieving, however on this one troublesome disc that was not the case in terms of creating the image, DVDDecrypter did that successfully.

Once you get used to using Isobuster you will find it a very powerful tool indeed, so persevere with it or speak to Peter at Isobuster, he is very knowledgeable and very helpful.

What is it your are trying to do with Isobuter?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mikethomas1954 View Post

Yes I have spoken to Peter at Isobuster many times on this matter and others. Isobuster for me has always worked perfectly on every disc and I have not needed to use anything else for creating images on retrieving, however on this one troublesome disc that was not the case in terms of creating the image, DVDDecrypter did that successfully.

Once you get used to using Isobuster you will find it a very powerful tool indeed, so persevere with it or speak to Peter at Isobuster, he is very knowledgeable and very helpful.

With Isobuster Im simply trying to save the video from a DVD that wont play on any machine, save and burn it to a new DVD+R which then will play,its my understand that is what Isobuster can do, i never understand what to do with the software, simply what to click on and when. thanks Mike
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by mikethomas1954 View Post
    Originally Posted by mikethomas1954 View Post

With Isobuster Im simply trying to save the video from a DVD that wont play on any machine, save and burn it to a new DVD+R which then will play,its my understand that is what Isobuster can do, i never understand what to do with the software, simply what to click on and when. thanks Mike

Use Isobuster to create a managed image for you. Once complete extract the data from it, if you can retain the Video TS Audio TS directories you can just burn these to a new DVD and it will play in normal DVD format.

Alternatively extract the .vob files individually and author a new DVD with those to a new DVD disc.

Just in case there is nothing wrong with the original disc though, check on other DVD drives, in case the device you try to read on will not read that format of discs (there may be nothing worng with the DVD or data.
    Quote Quote