VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    So, I've ripped a particular Blu-ray using MakeMKV. When I play the disc itself in PowerDVD, it looks fine.
    But when I have ripped it using MKV, it adds contrast, and makes the quality go down slightly. If you'd like to see what I mean, reply asking.
    I've never experienced this issue as far as I know. I have my entire Blu-ray collection compiled on my hardrive, and this is the first time it's happened.
    Could it be due to the recent update?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Speeny View Post
    If you'd like to see what I mean, reply asking.
    Okay, I'll bite, because what you think you're seeing isn't happening since MakeMKV doesn't change the content in any way.
    The only thing MakeMKV does - it remuxes/changes the video clips from the disk into a set of MKV files, preserving most information but not changing it in any way(no video and audio reconversion).
    What you're describing requires a reencode and since MakeMKV doesn't reencode...

Maybe you're playing both at the same time to compare and one player uses the overlay while any other one doesn't.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. This is a playback issue, not a MakeMKV problem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I'm using VLC to play most files.
    Would you be able to recommend another media player?
    Quote Quote  
  5. You mentioned PowerDVD. If you're playing the Blu-Ray in PowerDVD and the MKV in VLC, that could easily account for the differences you see. I don't know if you'd see the same differences using a different player or not, but I wouldn't worry about it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I've tried playing the MKV in both programs. Still the same outcome.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Speeny View Post
    I've tried playing the MKV in both programs. Still the same outcome.
    Playing both at the same time with two instances of the player open or two different players open at the same time?
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Maybe you're playing both at the same time to compare and one player uses the overlay while any other one doesn't.
    And if you're playing one in one player, and then playing the other one afterwards, I don't know how you can tell.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Maybe pictures can help him to understand? Open one and take a picture. Then open the other in the same player and go to the same frame and take a picture. Set up a Windows Slide Show so he can go back and forth between the two pictures. My guess is there won't be a speck of difference between the two pictures.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Original disc playing as is in PowerDVD:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PowerDVD Original Disc.png
Views:	215
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	32741

MakeMKV VLC/PowerDVD:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	MakeMKV.png
Views:	198
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	32740

Also, I've tried playing the MKV file in PowerDVD. (I thought VLC was adding the extra bit of contrast.) But, nothing had seemed to change.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    To mention also, you can also notice more of a gradient on the MKV file on the leggings. Could be just because the video is darker.
    Quote Quote  
  11. It's just a playback configuration issue. PC vs. TV levels and Rec 601 vs. 709.

Your VLC is probably set to output full range (PC levels) and Rec709 (ie it's "mapping" standard range Y16-235, UV16-240 to RGB 0-255). That's the default behaviour for VLC if it's a fairly recent version (within the last few years)

PowerDVD is likely using Rec601 and outputting limited range (or converting YUV to RGB for display with full range matrix)

I say this because if you take your VLC screenshot and "undo" it with

Levels(0,1,255,16,235,false)
    ConverttoYV24(matrix="rec709")
    ConvertToRGB(matrix="rec601")

You get basically the same thing . Besides, makemkv can't change anything
    Quote Quote