VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have tried using DVD Rebuilder to shrink a particular DVD folder. I have it set to HC Encoder Mode, and have the HC Encoder options set to "Best".

This has already worked without a hitch for numerous other DVD folders, but for this particular one, it always stops at 5.7%. There is no error message, and the program gives no indication that it is stopping or finishing. But the encoding process doesn't progress beyond that point, even if I leave it there overnight. The last message in the Status Window is always "Creating M2V for VTS_01 segment 5".

I have tried running the DVD folder through several programs (such as FixVTS), then encoding the resulting folder with DVD-Rebuilder, but to no avail. I get the exact same result, down to the exact percentage.

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the DVD folder when I play it with VLC or run it through a program like DVD-Shrink. It's only when I try to encode it with DVD-Rebuilder that I run into this problem.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where did source come from and what other tasks where done prior to dvd rebuilder ?

Stalled generally means an error in source or low disk space.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    Where did source come from and what other tasks where done prior to dvd rebuilder ?

Stalled generally means an error in source or low disk space.
    Ripped from disc with DVD-Shrink (but without any shrinking). No processing or conversion was done on the initial folder (although, as I stated in the OP, I did try running processes on it with such programs as FixVTS after the initial failure of DVD Rebuilder to no avail (I did not, however, alter the original DVD folder).
    Last edited by hbenthow; 22nd Jul 2015 at 10:47.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    You do realize that shrink hasn't been updated in years and can't handle modern protection schemes. Your folder might have some protective scheme still left in it
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    You do realize that shrink hasn't been updated in years and can't handle modern protection schemes. Your folder might have some protective scheme still left in it
    Is there any way that I can verify whether there is any sort of protection left in the ripped folder?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    Use the trial for AnyDvd and run it on the original disc
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    Use the trial for AnyDvd and run it on the original disc
    Didn't work. DVD Rebuilder still stops at 5.7% on the resulting folder.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    which movie is it?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    which movie is it?
    Disc one of "Harold Lloyd: The Definitive Collection" (imported UK release). I'm trying to make backups that will play in my (Region 1 locked) Blu-ray player. I don't think it's a region code problem, since I've never had this problem with other Region 2 discs.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    try avstodvd and see if that works
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    try avstodvd and see if that works
    I installed it, but can't find a way to use it to process a DVD without altering its structure (ie, removing menus and such).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    just try it to see if it gets stuck during the process
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    just try it to see if it gets stuck during the process
    The ffmpeg window that popped up during the process gave a series of error messages in red letters. The program finished, but only about 1 GB of the disc was successfully copied.
    Last edited by hbenthow; 23rd Jul 2015 at 14:19.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search PM
    Sounds like you have a corrupt source
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    Sounds like you have a corrupt source
    Could be. The discs are fairly old (from 2007), so maybe something went wrong on the first disc. It's rather odd that VLC, DVD-Shrink, etc, don't show any problems with it, though.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search PM
    Players can skip over errors, sometimes you see a glitch, sometimes you don't.
    Encoders can't do this, they need all the data to work with
    Quote Quote