VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I've been searching for a hardware or software product that can stream at least 17 time stamped video recordings, all at the same point in time. If I had 17 separate recordings of 17 different flight simulations for example, I would like the ability to fast forward/rewind to a given point in time and have these channels all stream the recordings from that point in time. Any products I've come across so far can only work with a small number of channels.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But could you even simultaneous record 17 streams at the same time ?

I record up to 5 webstreams and worry of the strain that this puts on the HDD. Equally, even if this is possible, simultaneous reading of multiple streams would put a significant strain on the HDD, cpu, video system etc.

In a word, not a practical idea.

Your flight simulation software might show different views but it is still only one rendered video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for your response.

I would be using a product such as this for recording

http://www.epiphan.com/products/networked/

What I'm actually concerned about is the streaming. It would be 17 different flight simulator recordings, not one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry. But if I read the spec correctly this is of no use to you since you only have one source = one video = your PC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Perhaps I am just not understanding your response. I would have up to 17 recordings on a server. These 17 recordings would be streamed. As for the spec, that is the device I would use to record the 17 PCs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know how I make this any easier (others may disagree)

But even multiple video on a single server = one video source = one opportunity to capture/stream.

To me, that equipment works by having multiple sources across your network so the sources are then seen by the units on the hub and then captured to that main unit.

Even then it is just a capture/streaming device and, yes, you have asked about software to play these simultaneously.

But I must miss something here. You have, in theory, already have these 17 videos on your server. Why do you need to re-capture them ?

I simply can not see how this hardware can help this process.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I only brought up the hardware to show that it is possible to capture 17 recordings at a time. Lets just forget I mentioned the hardware.

I don't need to recapture anything. I need to stream 17 recordings, all synchronized at a given point in time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Roll back to reply #2 then.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by nbyrd2000 View Post
    Hello,

I've been searching for a hardware or software product that can stream at least 17 time stamped video recordings, all at the same point in time. If I had 17 separate recordings of 17 different flight simulations for example, I would like the ability to fast forward/rewind to a given point in time and have these channels all stream the recordings from that point in time. Any products I've come across so far can only work with a small number of channels.
    Put them all ordered in a matrix in one single video.

Quote Quote  
  10. I did find a product called Calypso by Haivision

http://www.haivision.com/products/record-stream/calypso

I've spoken with their tech support and they claim it can do the time sync functionality I desire.

I recognize this product will be out of the price range for some looking for the same sort of thing. The multiscreener app

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/slade/know/3447

looks promising, as does some other software products that website mentions. I just do not have the time to check them out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry. But these products will still not do what you, apparently, want to do. These work, just like the other product you linked to, by having multiple, independent sources. Your 'server', in their eyes, is just one source.

The second one can sync from one source but not on the same monitor. And even that does not work under Windows.

There is a well known expression of using a sledge-hammer to crack a nut. And a very expensive sledge-hammer. My friend above gave you a simple, and relatively cheap, way to do this.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yes the server is one source. 17 videos on one source, streamed to 17 destinations. The product mentioned does do what I want it to do. I think you do not understand the problem. As for the software, as I said, I have not had time to test it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Fine. Let us agree to disagree
    Quote Quote