VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I'm new to the topic of Blu-ray burning and new to this website. I hope I am posting this question in the correct forum.

I recently purchased the Software & Hardware configuration listed at the bottom here for the purpose of burning my own blu-rays discs to archive some favorite TV shows in HD from my DVR. The task will involve some editing, but nothing major or fancy.

To capture the video, I’m using a Hauppauge Video Capture box. I've made some test recordings from my DVR using this device. I have all settings at the highest resolution possible and am recording 1080i video to m2ts files.

For editing software, I use Sony Vegas Pro 12 as a friend recommend it. Quite complex!

After practicing a bit I was able to successfully import the recording, edit out ad content, and burn the result to a BD-25 disc. I had some quality-loss issues at first, but after reading up I learned about frame-rate conversion. So now I am able to burn a disc at the same frame rate (29fpc) and the resulting disc looks great.

HOWEVER, no matter what I do, I cannot fast-forward or rewind the burned blu-ray. It will only move to indexed chapters based on markers I placed in the time-line. The player is a Samsung BD-F5700 with updated firmware.

My question is two-fold:

A) Has anyone ever encountered this FF and RW problem and can offer any advice as to what causes it? I don’t think it’s the player. I really am unhappy about not being able to fast-forward or rewind like commercial blu-rays.

B) Can anyone recommend more "consumer/beginner" friendly software that can accomplish what I want to do? The Sony Vegas Pro suite seems too complicated.

Please let me know if there's any other information needed that I have not supplied.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hardware and software info:

To capture video: Hauppauge PVR 2, recording thru component video outputs from DVR

My PC Specs:

Dell XPS-8700
    Windows 7
    Intel Core i5-4460
    8GB Ram
    2 Hard Drives, 1TB each
    LG Blu-Ray Burner BD-RE WH16NS40

Capture Software: Hauppauge Capture

Editing & Burning Software: Sony Vegas Pro 12

Recording file type: .ts or .m2ts
    Render file type: m2ts

Blu-Ray player is a Samsung BD-F5700 with updated firmware.
    Last edited by MMathews; 23rd Jul 2015 at 13:40. Reason: To clarify issue and questions
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is this an authored Blu-Ray disc or just a data file stored on a BD-R? What is being used to play the burned BD-R?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its not a function most if not all software players support when handling media on discs ... via chapter marks is the default.

The only thing that closely resembles it is to use the time line button and drag it back or forwards ... this creates more work for the drives read head as well.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Make sure you used blu-ray compatible settings in vegas. All the presets will have been labelled . If you used non blu-ray compatible settings (such as longer than legal GOP settings) that can result in what you are experiencing on some players

The next most common is with specific firmware or problems with the specific player. Take the disc to someone else's house and try it out. Often newer firmware can actually reduce compatibility and function with "homebrew" burned BD's .
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the quick responses. I only just realized I should have posted in the "newbie" forum. To answer the above question, I "think" I am making an "authored" disc. The Hauppauge capture records the video to an mt2s file. I open that file in Vegas and edit it on the timeline. I then go to tools--> burn ---> blu-ray disc. In that burn dialog I leave all settings at default, except for the "type" of video. I change that option to the one that leaves the frames per second at 29 so it matches the original file. I am not creating a menu (don't know how). I am then playing it on the Samsung BD-F5700 blu-ray player. That's where I can't FF or RW, only chapter skip.
    I think what we really need is a less complex software suite for editing and burning the mt2s files. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, I forgot to mention, when the Vegas software prepares my file for burning, it "renders" it to a new m2ts file, then burns that to the BD-25 blank. When i double-click that file to play in Windows 7, it plays it in WMP and I can navigate normally using the scroll. MM
    Quote Quote