VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any recommendation on a tripod w/ liquid ball head for decent price? I have cheap tripod for $30.

I'm just shooting basic video but sometimes I have to move the camcorder as the person walks around. I want to have that smooth follow.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try this Sony VCT-R640 Lightweight Tripod. Cheap but panning is really smooth.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I find my Slik Q504 to be a well built tripod with a smooth fluid head action.

And if your budget is a bit tight, then you can buy the fluid head on its own, to fit on your existing tripod legs See HERE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    For video you should get a fluid head with a ball to level it.
    Anything else is simply not going to work.

Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    As usual, you are exaggerating, a center column also can be leveled (you just use itīs legs), I used to have a manfrotto tripod simmilar to pippasīSlik and never had any problems, now I have one with half ball & bowl design Iīm very happy with, both designs have cons and pros.

@kj1983
    One consideration is the size and/or weight of your camera. The Slik and Sony already suggested are fine for palm-sized camcorders or DSLR type cameras without too many accesories or big lenses, if your caera is bigger/heavier (or a DSLR fitted with matte box, follow focus, monitor, etc) Iīd recomend something like this:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842086-REG/Magnus_VT_4000_VT_4000_Tripod_System.html
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by julitomg View Post
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    As usual, you are exaggerating, a center column also can be leveled (you just use itīs legs).
    You are going to level your tripod by adjusting the legs? Right.......

I am sure you panning shots will look wonderful.....

It is very simple really: there are tripods made for photography and then there are those made for video, do not mix them up!

Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    You are going to level your tripod by adjusting the legs? Right.......
    As long as the head itself is level the pans will be even. That said, there's no question a ball head makes this task simpler.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by julitomg View Post
    That will work, here is an alternative in the same price category:

Davis & Sanford Provista 7518 Tripod with FM18 Head - $160

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/243272-REG/Davis_Sanford_PROVISTA7518B_Provista_...od_w_FM18.html

Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by julitomg View Post

One consideration is the size and/or weight of your camera. The Slik and Sony already suggested are fine for palm-sized camcorders or DSLR type cameras without too many accesories or big lenses, if your caera is bigger/heavier (or a DSLR fitted with matte box, follow focus, monitor, etc) Iīd recomend something like this:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842086-REG/Magnus_VT_4000_VT_4000_Tripod_System.html
    The Magnus model you link to supports 8.8lbs. The spec for the Slik Q504 comes in at 11lb, so it's should be OK unless you using a really big lens!

It doesn't have a ball leveler, but the spirit bubble works well, and it usually only take a few seconds to adjust the required leg(s)..... so quite usable, despite newqball's observations.....
    Quote Quote  
  10. Sorry pippas...youīre right about the weight, I must have assumed your tripod was smaller than it actually is because I just looked at the photo, didnīt check the specs. My suggestion still is to get the sturdiest tripod (for your cam). The extra weight (the tripodīs) even helps to make more even pans and tilts.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have Sony HDR-CX440 Handycam Camcorder. So the weight will be light.

Total (with NP-BX1): Approx. 7.6oz (Approx. 215g)

My friend let me borrow "Manfrotto Bogen 055XPROB Tripod Legs w/ Manfrotto 701HDV Pro Fluid Video Mini Head".

I think this one is overkill it. It was very smooth to follow a person in the video.
    Last edited by kj1983; 22nd Jul 2015 at 01:57.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by kj1983 View Post
    I think this one is overkill it. It was very smooth to follow a person in the video.
    One advantage of an "overkill" tripod, as julitomg alluded to, is that it can improve your production value -- giving the motion and feel of a heavier, more professional camera. Don't discount that. The disadvantage of course is that it's more weight to lug around if you're working on-the-fly.
    Quote Quote