VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've used the free DVDFab HD Decrypter to rip my DVDs for years, but it is having trouble reading the DVDs for the first time. I have the newest version (9.2.0.4). With some of my DVDs, Decrypter tries to read them for a minute but then gives me a message that I have to pay for an upgrade. None of these are new DVD releases either ... the DVDs giving me trouble range from 1-15 years old. Other similar DVDs just spin without ever being recognized. Has something changed? Or is there a better free DVD ripper now? Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ... the message I get with many DVDs now is that I need to "buy or renew DVDFab "DVD Copy" or you can wait for new version of DVDFab HD Decrypter." This is not with new DVD releases though. For example, I just got this message with Cars 2 from 2011.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope,i ditched it for makemkv which is free in beta till it gets released as retail.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth.... I too have been having troubles with DVDFab of late. And I'm talking about DVD's from early 2002 era. I tried the suggestion above, and makemkv solved all my issues... I will definitely consider buying it if this continues. Although am a bit irked if after spending $50 on DVDFab I now need to spend another $50 on a different piece of software yet again.

But I do suggest trying it while its free in bata...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    have you tried uninstalling and going back to an older version
    if a program works is not corrupted or malware, i keep the DL
    i can always go back to an old version of any program
    even old ver of Firefox
    just like always keep your source files, backup ..backup..backup

BTW thanks for the makemkv suggestion
    i DL it and will try it out.. just in case i ever need it

i am not fond of MKV files, but having options is Always good
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vlc player rips dvds, has a built-in decrypter. I have used a giveaway version of magic dvd copier, version 7. It works great for making a copy of the movie. I have moved on to magic dvd ripper, which gives me mp4 files. Here's a link to magic dvd copier http://www.thinstallsoft.com/magic-dvd-copier-portable/
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I tried using the older dvdfab but it won't work since they need to contact the dvdfab for updated keys which dvdfab now says wont work even on older blu-rays.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i was not referring to updated encryption
    the OP says the new version of decrypter will not decrypt OLD discs
    i was referring to old versions of decrypter NOT Dfab
    isn't Decrypter the free in the background process
    NOT like Dfab which has all the ripping and cloning options
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You didn't say in your post anything about the older dvd decrypter and the op said nothing about that,just about dvdfab decrypter to which i was referring to.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well pardon me
    the advice still stands
    if the new version refuses to work on old discs
    then use an older version

its plain stupid of the software creator, to create a malfunction by leaving out coded processes that work on older dvd's
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have the lifetime DVDFab suite and I paid for MakeMKV from the author - both work well for me for my backups. For most DVD's that I really want to make a DVD I still use DVDShrink which seems to work well with any title released in Australia - maybe they don't bother with "advanced" encryption down here? I mostly use MakeMKV to transfer the movie onto my NAS..
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  12. I've seen this problem a few times since buying a new machine (with a new DVD drive).

Going back to the old machine and ripping the problem DVD has always worked, suggesting the drive or its firmware may be an issue?
    Quote Quote