VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi.

I have noticed that when I take interlaced footage and export it into mp4 with the proper settings (eg: top field first or bottom field first), mp4 usually has a problem with the interlacing. Eg: during movement you can see the bars and everything is not lined up. But converting from progressive to progressive into mp4 works fine.

I have seen this problem of interlaced converted into progressive mp4 with VHS captures, Hi8mm captures and HD camera footage from a Sony HDR-XR550V.

Is mp4/mpeg4 designed for progressive rather than interlaced? mp2/mpeg2 seems to be better with interlaced video.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I know nothing about MP4s and never encode interlaced, but it sounds like the video isn't being de-interlaced on playback as it should be, which would probably be a player issue. What are you using for playback?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Are you viewing the footage on a monitor as most monitors don't have built in de-interlacing like TVs.

Playing the footage back on a TV should help with the visible interlacing.

Have you tried encoding the footage to progressive as that is what I normally do with interlaced footage which works well with right encoder settings.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I understand encoding video as interlaced to a certain extent. The video will be de-interlaced on playback and I'm thinking the de-interlacers in hardware players are probably similar to yadif in quality anyway (not that I've done much comparing), but de-interlacing with QTGMC is probably still the best option quality-wise, if you can put up with it being quite slow. And if you de-interlace when encoding, there won't be any interlaced playing problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SyncroScales View Post
    Eg: during movement you can see the bars and everything is not lined up.
    Huh?? Attach a screenshot.

Is mp4/mpeg4 designed for progressive rather than interlaced? mp2/mpeg2 seems to be better with interlaced video.
    As far as H.264 goes, European 1080i broadcasts, original AVCHD camcorders, and certain Blu-ray releases (like concert videos) all use interlaced encoding just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by SyncroScales View Post
    I have noticed that when I take interlaced footage and export it into mp4 with the proper settings (eg: top field first or bottom field first), mp4 usually has a problem with the interlacing.
    The MP4 container definitely can contain interlaced video. And any decent player will handle it properly if it's encoded and flagged properly.

MPEG 4 codecs (xvid, divx, h.264, avc) can handle interlaced video properly.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you for the information.

I'm using VLC media player to watch video. and a computer monitor.

I tried to change the video clip into progressive for export. That helped a lot. I also raised the bit-rate and in this situation it helped too, even for the interlaced top-field first option.

What is QTGMC?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I'm using VLC media player to watch video. and a computer monitor.
    By default, VLC doesn't deinterlace. Set it up in "preferences" and choose any of several deinterlace methods, including yadif.

There are better players.

I tried to change the video clip into progressive for export. That helped a lot. I also raised the bit-rate
    And re-encoded your videos?

What is QTGMC?
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156028
    Last edited by LMotlow; 22nd Jul 2015 at 07:52.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote