VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been converting some 20 minute movies that I only expect to watch on a computer for the purpose of reducing file size yet still keeping a minimum of quality. I have been converting movies to 640 by 360 avi format. What I have noticed is that when

I keep original frame
    Use MP3
    44100Hz at 16bit
    128 kbps
    Stereo
    1500 bit rate
    and reducing it to 640 by 360 I get about 180 mbytes or more in file size

However if I reduce the bit rate to 430 with all the same settings as before, I end up with 70 mbytes
    That's a huge difference yet I don't notice much of a change in quality
    and the movie appears to play fine.

So what does the bit rate do anyway and how low can you take it
    before quality goes real bad.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's all up to the user as to what quality they can see and live with,i would never re-encode a movie to the specs you stated,my minimum quality coming from a good clean source(1920x1080) would be 1280x720 at 4gb files size with 640 5.1 ac3 .Play your file on a large hdtv and you will see the quality.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Bitrate is the average video bitrate.
    Bitrate x duration = video file size
    The lower the bitrate the lower the quality (although there's a point where the bitrate is high enough and increasing it further doesn't give you much of a visual quality increase. No two movies compress they same so they require different bitrates for a given quality.

If you're playing the files on a computer consider using the x264 encoder instead of Xvid. It'll produce better quality than Xvid at a given bitrate.

Instead of using 2 pass encoding you could try a single pass constant quantizer encode (I assume you're encoding with Xvid). A quantizer of 2 is maximum quality, or you can increase it to 3 for smaller file sizes and lower quality (the quality might suffer if you increase it too much). The bitrate will be different for each video as you're encoding to a specific quality. If your encoding program can't do it, try AutoGK (a single pass 75% quality encode for AutoGK is a constant quantizer encode of 2.67, if memory serves me correctly.
    Even if you select a bitrate, AutoGK might be worth a try. If you leave it in auto mode it'll make adjustments (including the resolution if you let it) to give you the best quality it can for the specified bitrate.
    Quote Quote