VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. There is some content on an ISO image I would like to view via a video format without burning a disk.

Can Handbrake or another tool simply make a video directly from an ISO image?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    There is some content on an ISO image I would like to view via a video format without burning a disk.
    Easy, open the ISO file (automatic in Windows8, with a tool in other versions) and use your favorite media player!

No need to convert you will only lose quality.

Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    If you mount the ISO image, any conversion program can access the material. Some programs can open ISO files directly. I know Handbrake can open DVD-video ISO files.

Windows 8/8.1 can mount images natively. If you are using another operating system, you can mount them with Slysoft's free program, Virtual CloneDrive.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the tips. I think a simple view with VLC should do.

However I may play with the Handbrake encode for the practice.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could try MakeMKV for a lossless extraction.
    Quote Quote  
  6. VidCoder has, what I find to be, a better GUI for the Handbrake engine. It can definitely convert from a DVD ISO to MP4 or MKV.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you can't open an ISO file directly with a conversion program, you can also extract the contents first with a compression program such as WinRar or 7-Zip etc and then you'll have standard DVD files to work with. Probably most compression programs will extract ISO files these days. Or open the ISO with DVDShrink and use the backup function to save it as standard DVD files.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The old version used to convert my (slysoft) ripped ISOs to mp4 automatically, which worked fine with Quicktime, iTunes & iOS. I installed the latest version 0.10.5.0, and it now creates .m4v files. The files won't open in Quicktime and I couldn't add them to iTunes. Renaming them as mp4 didn't help. However, using Handbrake's Tools->Options->Output Files and set MP4 File Extension to Always Use MP4 fixed it, for me anyway. The mp4 files now open in Quicktime and can be added to iTunes for iPhone.
    Quote Quote