VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I experimented with some easy ways to do the conversion. Try them to see what you think.

I sometimes use AVStoDVD for DVD authoring. It can demultiplex VOBs internally if you allow it to index, plus it will convert/reencode to 720x576 and add small pillarbox borders automatically. ...but it will always create a new title set for every video added to the project, in spite of the fact that it uses muxman for authoring. It does allow using two pass encoding with HCEnc as an option, which is better (but slower) than ffmpeg. You could do the conversion with AVStoDVD, demultiplex the resulting VOBs and then use muxman to author as you have been doing

I also decided to look at DVDStyler, which uses dvdauthor rather than muxman. It can convert/reencode the 704x576 videos, with 8-pixel pillarboxes added manually. Its default authoring mode is to create one title set containing all the videos added to the project. However when importing VOBs, it apparently doesn't see past the first cell. This means VOBs should be demultiplexed instead of importing them directly.

Add all the videos to DVDStyler. Right click on the 704x576 videos and select "Properties" to bring up the properties window for the title. Select PAL 720x576 from the drop down list then click on the button to the right of the drop down list to bring up a dialog window for the video properies. The destination format should be 720x576. The aspect ratio should be the same as your original video. Use interlace since the original is interlaced and auto for the field order. Uncheck "Keep Aspect Ratio" and set the left and right border to 8, or if you don't want pillar boxes, just leave "Keep Aspect Ratio" checked. Click OK on both the video properties and title properties windows. (Obviously I'm in NTSC territory, but I think you can get some idea of what to do from my example below.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DVD Styler Video Properies.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	32698
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I experimented with some easy ways to do the conversion. Try them to see what you think.

I sometimes use AVStoDVD for DVD authoring. It can demultiplex VOBs internally if you allow it to index, plus it will convert/reencode to 720x576 and add small pillarbox borders automatically. ...but it will always create a new title set for every video added to the project, in spite of the fact that it uses muxman for authoring. It does allow using two pass encoding with HCEnc as an option, which is better (but slower) than ffmpeg. You could do the conversion with AVStoDVD, demultiplex the resulting VOBs and then use muxman to author as you have been doing

I also decided to look at DVDStyler, which uses dvdauthor rather than muxman. It can convert/reencode the 704x576 videos, with 8-pixel pillarboxes added manually. Its default authoring mode is to create one title set containing all the videos added to the project. However when importing VOBs, it apparently doesn't see past the first cell. This means VOBs should be demultiplexed instead of importing them directly.

Add all the videos to DVDStyler. Right click on the 704x576 videos and select "Properties" to bring up the properties window for the title. Select PAL 720x576 from the drop down list then click on the button to the right of the drop down list to bring up a dialog window for the video properies. The destination format should be 720x576. The aspect ratio should be the same as your original video. Use interlace since the original is interlaced and auto for the field order. Uncheck "Keep Aspect Ratio" and set the left and right border to 8, or if you don't want pillar boxes, just leave "Keep Aspect Ratio" checked. Click OK on both the video properties and title properties windows. (Obviously I'm in NTSC territory, but I think you can get some idea of what to do from my example below.)

[Attachment 32698 - Click to enlarge]
    Thank you very much for your help I really appreciate it, I have downloaded AVStoDVD and seems to be successfully working, as long as I'm doing it correctly!, I am using all defaults, the only thing I have changed is the very first time the programme opened it showed a preference box in which the one and only think I changed was to "encoding HCenc VBR 2 pass", as seen in the screenshot I attached, this is the only thing I have changed from defaults, is that all correct?
    Although I'm not sure why it seems to do a repeat of steps and loads the selected file twice, for example I navigate to the folder of the 704 file I want to convert to 720 by selecting tile and add tile, I open the file in the VIDEO_TS folder and it asks me if I want to index, so I select YES (is that correct?), then straight away a box pops up saying audio files found please select max 3, there's no way to move past that box other than to click it off using the x at the top right of the box, I then see the video title along with video and audio load into the main programme interface and at the same time another box pops up saying MPEG 2 video stream found and it's strongly recommended to index and gives and option of YES to create index and demux or NO to use default Direct Show Approach (I select YES again is that correct?), then once again the same box pops up saying audio files found please select max 3, so as the last time I once again click it off by clicking the x at top right, and as before after the last time I clicked that box off I straight away see the title name along with the video and audio load into the main programme interface, so now it appears it has loaded twice!, then nothing happens anymore so I press the START button, and after a couple of minutes it says completed successfully and I have a DVD folder with the newly exported video, however there are 2 videos! eg. VTS 1_1 and VTS 2_1, why does this seem to load twice?, and export 2 of the same video?, although it doesn't seem much of a problem as both .VOB's are the same amount of bytes, so I think they're exactly the same, so I can just work with one of them, but strange it seems like it's doing everything twice!??
    Here's a screenshot of the only thing I have changed since downloading the programme, is that all I need to do for best quality?
    If I was to also try DVDStyler would there be any visual difference in picture quality?
    Thanks again, I Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	32701really appreciate the advice/help!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Wow this is never ending!!!!
    Now that I finally have the 704 video converted to 720, Muxman gives a high bitrate error when I try to add my new PCM WAV audio to the 2 new video files...
    Is there a way to make the 704 video conversion to 720 that will allow it to be muxed with audio of higher bitrate?
    If not I guess there's no other way than to use MP2, or AC3?
    Last edited by efc1978; 22nd Jul 2015 at 03:55.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by efc1978 View Post
    Is there a way to make the 704 video conversion to 720 that will allow it to be muxed with audio of higher bitrate?
    Of course there is. Lower the max bitrate for the video. If, for example, it's 9000, there's no way you can add a PCM WAV file and have it be authored.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by efc1978 View Post
    Of course there is. Lower the max bitrate for the video. If, for example, it's 9000, there's no way you can add a PCM WAV file and have it be authored.
    Does lowering max bitrate reduce picture quality?
    I want the video as best quality as possible.
    Either way I'm lost again as following usually_quiet's advice I didn't manually change bitrate or anything like that so I'm back to being stuck!
    Usually_quiet could you please make a suggestion as to how to convert 704 to 720 with highest possible video quality that would allow it to mux with 16bit 48000 PCM WAV?
    Thanks again, wow this just seems to never end!, thankfully after this all I need to do is finally synch the audio!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by efc1978 View Post
    It could, yes, but probably not so you'd notice. If the original had this PCM WAV audio, then it also had a lower than normal maximum bitrate. Most DVDs don't use PCM WAV audio, but the lower bitrate AC3 audio, or sometimes MP2 audio.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    It could, yes, but probably not so you'd notice. If the original had this PCM WAV audio, then it also had a lower than normal maximum bitrate. Most DVDs don't use PCM WAV audio, but the lower bitrate AC3 audio, or sometimes MP2 audio.
    You can see on the previous page of this thread in my screenshots of the 2 original 704 files their average bitrates were just over 95000, I didn't put the audio info in the screenshots but it was not WAV it was AC3.

I can also see on the previous page my 'other' source which has WAV audio has a max bitrate of around 78000,
    so I guess my 2 problem files would mux with WAV if they had max bitrates of around 78000?, would that be correct?, if so would converting the 704 file with 9000 max bitrate to 720 with around 78000 max bitrate have visual quality loss?

Once again if this is possible I would really appreciate it if somebody could please suggest which programme to use and tell me which settings I need to change and what I should change them to.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by efc1978; 22nd Jul 2015 at 06:21.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After importing a VOB into AVStoDVD, you can replace the original audio with PCM if you wish. Right-click the title, click "Audio Tracks" in the pop-up menu and select "Remove Audio Track". Then right-click the title, click "Audio Tracks" in the pop-up menu and select "Add Audio Track" to substitute the new audio track.

You can change the average video bitrate used to re-encode the video in AVStoDVD, but not the maximum. Right click on the video that you want to re-encode. Select "Edit Title" from the pop-up menu. In the Title Edit window, uncheck "Auto Video Setup", "Direct Stream Copy", and "Auto Bitrate Calculation". After that you can specify the average bitrate for HCEnc to use.

If you want a playable DVD, you must follow the DVD spec. It is possible to re-encode from PCM to AC3 within AVStoDVD if you find that you must on account of DVD's maximum bitrate limitation. Right click on the audio that you want to re-encode. Select "Edit Title" from the pop-up menu. In the Title Edit window, uncheck "Auto Audio Setup", "Audio Direct Stream Copy". Select AC3, plus the number of channels, the audio language and set Audio Bitrate to 448. Most DVDs use the same type of audio throughout.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Jul 2015 at 10:17.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    After importing a VOB into AVStoDVD, you can replace the original audio with PCM if you wish. Right-click the title, click "Audio Tracks" in the pop-up menu and select "Remove Audio Track". Then right-click the title, click "Audio Tracks" in the pop-up menu and select "Add Audio Track" to substitute the new audio track.

You can change the average video bitrate used to re-encode the video in AVStoDVD, but not the maximum. Right click on the video that you want to re-encode. Select "Edit Title" from the pop-up menu. In the Title Edit window, uncheck "Auto Video Setup", "Direct Stream Copy", and "Auto Bitrate Calculation". After that you can specify the average bitrate for HCEnc to use.

If you want a playable DVD, you must follow the DVD spec. It is possible to re-encode from PCM to AC3 within AVStoDVD if you find that you must on account of DVD's maximum bitrate limitation. Right click on the audio that you want to re-encode. Select "Edit Title" from the pop-up menu. In the Title Edit window, uncheck "Auto Audio Setup", "Audio Direct Stream Copy". Select AC3, plus the number of channels, the audio language and set Audio Bitrate to 448. Most DVDs use the same type of audio throughout.
    Hi,
    But seeing as you say I can't change the maximum bitrate of around 9000, doesn't that mean I can not add PCM WAV, because isn't that high max bitrate (which you say I can't change) the reason there's no room for the large PCM WAV bitrate?
    Last edited by efc1978; 22nd Jul 2015 at 10:31.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM

Hi,
    But seeing as you say I can't change the maximum bitrate of around 9000, doesn't that mean I can not add PCM WAV, because isn't that high max bitrate (which you say I can't change) the reason there's no room for the large PCM WAV bitrate?
    _MrC_, AVStoDVD's author monitors a support thread for his program: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277852-AVStoDVD-Support-Thread

I suggest that you ask him if there is some other way to change the maximum bitrate so you can make your patchwork DVD without re-encoding the audio to AC3. Otherwise, I guess you will have to learn how to use HCEnc's command line version and Avisynth scripting.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM

Hi,
    _MrC_, AVStoDVD's author monitors a support thread for his program: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277852-AVStoDVD-Support-Thread

I suggest that you ask him if there is some other way to change the maximum bitrate so you can make your patchwork DVD without re-encoding the audio to AC3. Otherwise, I guess you will have to learn how to use HCEnc's command line version and Avisynth scripting.
    Thanks for the advice/help once again.
    Or maybe I'll just have to convert my 100 mins of rare PCM WAV to lossy AC3 or MP2, surely nobody will hear the difference between PCM WAV and 384kbps MP2!?, but seeing as I'm always working on audio projects using lossless it's a bit annoying!, I'm not used to 'video' editing, it's pretty new to me!, it's been good learning new stuff though...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the advice/help once again.
    Or maybe I'll just have to convert my 100 mins of rare PCM WAV to lossy AC3 or MP2, surely nobody will hear the difference between PCM WAV and 384kbps MP2!?, but seeing as I'm always working on audio projects using lossless it's a bit annoying!, I'm not used to 'video' editing, it's pretty new to me!, it's been good learning new stuff though...
    So far, you are merely authoring a DVD using video and audio taken from several sources rather than truly editing.

However, it is possible to re-encode video and/or audio when exporting from an actual video editing program.

Unlike many DVD authoring programs, AVStoDVD and DVDStyler can also convert/re-encode video and audio for DVD compatibility and size in addition to authoring it. ...but in many cases, people encode their video and audio for DVD compatibility and size ahead of time (either on export from an editor or using encoding software) and use an authoring program that only authors.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Jul 2015 at 11:30.
    Quote Quote  
  13. When you replace the default audio track with the external WAV file, as explained very well by usually_quiet:
    Then go to 'Edit Title'/'Audio', deselect 'Auto Audio Setup' and select WAV as 'Audio Format'. AVStoDVD will automatically adjust the video bitrate to fit the DVD size, following the DVD specs. No need to change manually the video bitrate.

Anyway, if you want to manually lower the max avg video bitrate, go to 'Preferences'/'Video' (before starting your project) and lower the default 8500 kbps.

Bye
    Last edited by _MrC_; 22nd Jul 2015 at 13:17. Reason: More details
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by efc1978 View Post
    You can see on the previous page of this thread in my screenshots of the 2 original 704 files their average bitrates were just over 95000, I didn't put the audio info in the screenshots but it was not WAV it was AC3.
    Then why are you even wondering what happened? Of course when you stick a PCM WAV file into a DVD where the original audio was the much lower bitrate AC3 audio, together with a high max bitrate video, you'll be unable to complete the authoring. Go and look at the DVD specs:

https://www.videohelp.com/dvd

Total:
    Total bitrate including video, audio and subs can be max 10.08 Mbit/s (10080 Kbit/s)
    And that doesn't even figure in the muxing overhead.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by _MrC_ View Post
    When you replace the default audio track with the external WAV file, as explained very well by usually_quiet:
    Then go to 'Edit Title'/'Audio', deselect 'Auto Audio Setup' and select WAV as 'Audio Format'. AVStoDVD will automatically adjust the video bitrate to fit the DVD size, following the DVD specs. No need to change manually the video bitrate.

Anyway, if you want to manually lower the max avg video bitrate, go to 'Preferences'/'Video' (before starting your project) and lower the default 8500 kbps.

Bye
    Thank you very much for the info.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Then why are you even wondering what happened? Of course when you stick a PCM WAV file into a DVD where the original audio was the much lower bitrate AC3 audio, together with a high max bitrate video, you'll be unable to complete the authoring. Go and look at the DVD specs:

https://www.videohelp.com/dvd

Total:
    Total bitrate including video, audio and subs can be max 10.08 Mbit/s (10080 Kbit/s)
    And that doesn't even figure in the muxing overhead.
    Thanks, 10080 Kbps total is helpful to know.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    When you replace the default audio track with the external WAV file, as explained very well by usually_quiet:

Bye
    Thank you very much _MrC_ and usually_quiet, this was very helpful.
    I have followed both of your steps combined above...
    I am just wondering if you could please tell me what the message I got means, I don't think it's anything of great importance, just a notification that the bitrate was reduced by a significant amount???
    Which brings me to ask, could you please tell me is there likely to be any video quality difference in the converted files compared to the originals?, I have attached a Median info screenshot of before and after conversion for the 2 files I converted, they were 704 converted to 720, as well as adding the PCM WAV audio which it previously didn't have.
    So the screenshots are before conversion and after conversion for the first video, then once again screenshots before conversion and after conversion for the second video.
    Thanks a lot for your help!

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	32709

VIDEO 1 BEFORE CONVERSION:

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	32710

VIDEO 1 AFTER CONVERSION:

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	32711

VIDEO 2 BEFORE CONVERSION:

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	32712

VIDEO 2 AFTER CONVERSION:

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	32713
    Quote Quote  
  18. It seems that Muxman has rejected the WAV audio file.

Could you please upload the AVStoDVD project .log file? You can find it in the AVStoDVD output folder.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    It seems that Muxman has rejected the WAV audio file.

Could you please upload the AVStoDVD project .log file? You can find it in the AVStoDVD output folder.

Bye
    What makes you think that? Once I clicked that warning box off it still said process had completed successfully.
    The files are playing, and if I demux the VOB's with PGCDemux and add a new WAV file Muxman that output VOB will play as well...
    I'll have to wait until I'm at my PC tomorrow to post the info you've asked for.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    It seems that Muxman has rejected the WAV audio file.

Bye
    OK here's the info for the 2 videos I converted, though they seem to play fine, I haven't actually add the final audio with delay I want but have quickly muxed in any random PCM WAV just to make sure it's accepeted, and it seems to play fine, I'm not sure why you think it rejected the WAV?

I posted a screenshot of the 'warning' pop up box, then a screenshot of the interface which pops up directly after I click off the warning box which seems to indicate the process was successful, then I posted the output folder you have requested (I posted all for the 2 different videos I have converted).
    Thanks

VIDEO 1

Name:	1F.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	32752

VIDEO 1

Name:	2F.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	32753

VIDEO 1
    1DVD.log

VIDEO 2

Name:	2nd 1 F.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	32755

VIDEO 2

Name:	2nd 2F.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	32754
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by efc1978; 24th Jul 2015 at 00:54.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Well, the 2 projects were meant to produce a DVD structure with video (m2v) and audio (wav). From the final DVD size, I guessed the DVD structure has only the video stream. But then, from the log files, I realize that the video and audio sources have very different times.

I'm wandering why you do not add a wav audio track with a similar length than the video track...

Bye
    Last edited by _MrC_; 24th Jul 2015 at 11:48. Reason: Details
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Well, the 2 projects were meant to produce a DVD structure with video (m2v) and audio (wav). From the final DVD size, I guessed the DVD structure has only the video stream. But then, from the log files, I realize that the video and audio sources have very different times.

I'm wandering why you do not add a wav audio track with a similar length than the video track...

Bye
    Hi,
    I don't know much about 'video' editing.
    I know if I have an m2v for example 3684 frames that is 2min:37.36, then
    I know if I take the m2v of 704 and convert to 720 the frames are still 3684 frames.
    So then in Muxman I just combine / mux to the m2v the whole concert length PCM WAV (about 110 min) and when I mux then demux the PCM WAV time length is 2min:27.36 (the same as 3684 frames), so I didn't cut the WAV of about 110 mins when I added to the m2v as I thought if the WAV is longer than the m2v, it seems the WAV is automatically cut to the length of the m2v..., so I can add a WAV to m2v longer than the m2v and if I demux the audio it's the same length as the m2v!
    I think that's what happened, does that make sense?
    The first m2v file is 2min:27.36 and the other 24.48 seconds, so to both the m2v I added audio that was the PCM WAV audio about 110 minutes long, because I thought the file cuts off at the end of the m2v?, for example then to PGCDemux the files are 3684 frames / 2:27.36 and 612 frames / 24.48 secs.
    Last edited by efc1978; 24th Jul 2015 at 19:49.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Once again, you are NOT editing video. you are authoring a DVD.

DVD authoring programs will generally display an error message of some sort if the length of the video and audio to be authored does not match. Sometimes they will even terminate after finding such an error. Normally video and audio are trimmed to the same length using video editing software before authoring to prevent this situation from occurring.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM

DVD authoring programs will generally display an error message of some sort if the length of the video and audio to be authored does not match. Sometimes they will even terminate after finding such an error. Normally video and audio are trimmed to the same length using video editing software before authoring to prevent this situation from occurring.
    So I think you're saying technically there's no problem here?
    As like I said my exported/output experiment VOB's seem to play fine...
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM

No, I'm saying this should NEVER be done on purpose, and you did a lousy job of preparing your video and audio for authoring. With other software there would likely be a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM

No, I'm saying this should NEVER be done on purpose, and you did a lousy job of preparing your video and audio for authoring. With other software there would likely be a problem.
    OK thanks for letting me know.
    So I guess instead when converting the video bitrate to a lower bitrate so it will accept PCM WAV audio I should add to the 3684 frames video file (2mins:27.36), an actual PCM WAV file of 2mins:27.36 instead of whacking in an extra long 110min PCM WAV file?
    Will this make the output video bitrate higher?
    It's pretty much only my 2nd ever video author!!!! Please forgive me for having no idea!?
    Last edited by efc1978; 24th Jul 2015 at 13:44.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM

So I guess instead when converting the video bitrate I should add to the 3684 frames file (2mins:27.36), an actual WAV file of 2mins:37.36 instead of whacking in a 110min WAV file?
    Yes. The WAV file containing audio should trimmed to be the same length as the video.
    It's pretty much only my 2nd ever video author!!!! Please forgive me!?!?!?!?
    No, it should not change the output video bitrate from AVStoDVD to any significant extent. Of course you are forgiven (by me), but you need to understand that not all authoring software is as tolerant as AVStoDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM

So I guess instead when converting the video bitrate I should add to the 3684 frames file (2mins:27.36), an actual WAV file of 2mins:37.36 instead of whacking in a 110min WAV file?
    Yes. The WAV file containing audio should trimmed to be the same length as the video.
    It's pretty much only my 2nd ever video author!!!! Please forgive me!?!?!?!?
    No, it should not change the output video bitrate from AVStoDVD to any significant extent. Of course you are forgiven (by me), but you need to understand that not all authoring software is as tolerant as AVStoDVD.
    So my current output video files can be left as they are?, and you don't think making the conversions again by adding the exact PCM WAV audio length will change the bitrate or
    quality of the output/exported VOB (which I then demux to m2v).
    Actually I think to be sure all is as best quality as possible I will make the 2
    video conversions again adding the exact time length PCM WAV files.
    Thanks
    Last edited by efc1978; 24th Jul 2015 at 14:27.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I just tested this. If you add a long audio to a short video, the audio gets cut to the length of the video. Actually, I thought the video would freeze on the last frame and the audio would continue to the end, but that's not the case with Muxman.

If the purpose of adding the long audio is that you want to keep the entire audio, add it to a 720x480 BMP. Then you see the picture during the length of the long audio.

I don't really see a problem doing it the way efc1978 did it, although it's not very elegant, if he's okay with the audio being cut off.
    Actually I think to be sure all is as best quality as possible I will make the 2
    video conversions again adding the exact time length PCM WAV files.
    If you're satisfied with the quality of the video, I wouldn't waste the time.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Regular PCM audio is encoded with a constant bitrate, as I recall. If that is what is being used, then I wouldn't expect the video bitrate to change at all. I think there are PCM variants that use variable bitrate encoding, but even so, trimming the audio it should not have much effect on the video bitrate AVStoDVD chooses.
    Quote Quote