VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I made a montage of our trip to Disney World using windows movie maker... I do this for all of our home movies/montages etc. no matter how many times I try, it won't save past 76%. but it's not telling me that there's a file (picture/video/music) that isn't the proper format or that there's a problem with anything specific... so how do I know what the problem is? my montage contains various video clips, as well as pictures and music. I spent hours getting it timed perfectly... is there any way to save this, or figure out what file is the problem, without starting to rip the whole montage apart? I've tried saving it different times, different days, restarting the computer etc. please help!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    anyone??
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there enough free space on the destination drive?

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  4. Is there anyway for you to upload the original files to the internet and paste a link. Someone would be able to tell you what's going on. Maybe if you can get it to play on your computer screen, do a screen recording of the thing with WM Capture.

maybe this will help?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G17J2vbsR8
    Last edited by ezcapper; 13th Jul 2015 at 22:21.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just grasping.....Any chance that either the working directory or destination file is on a fat32 partitioned drive and you are hitting the fat32 4gb limit.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ezcapper View Post
    Is there anyway for you to upload the original files to the internet and paste a link. Someone would be able to tell you what's going on. Maybe if you can get it to play on your computer screen, do a screen recording of the thing with WM Capture.

maybe this will help?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G17J2vbsR8
    Do you EVER read ANYTHING the original poster types?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by gll99 View Post
    Just grasping.....Any chance that either the working directory or destination file is on a fat32 partitioned drive and you are hitting the fat32 4gb limit.
    That's a good possibility.

A suggestion to try: Render/Export only the Video, or only the Audio. Render only the 1st half of the timeline, then the 2nd (you would do this by creating 2 copies, and shortening one copy by removing the end and shortening the other copy by removing the beginning, but leaving the original alone). You should then be able to render everything (since you already know it makes it to 50%). Then, just use ffmpeg, asfbin, WM editor utils, etc. to join. Best to join the V1 + V2 + A(full). This has worked many times for me in difficult situations.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In line with what Scott says as a test you could change the processing sequence of your video/audio/music/transition clips. Even though there is no message indicating a bad file it could be that at the 76% point it is finding an incompatible video or audio. If you could tell which file is being processed at that point you could eliminate it or move it to a different spot on the timeline. If the point of failure % changes then you know it's caused by an incompatible file and it becomes a process of elimination .
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know what a destination drive is ((blushing)). yes I guess I will try by taking out the video clip, and then the music and see which might be the problem. I figured out the time where 76% falls so I assume It is the video or song right at that point. grrr so frustrating! thanks!! will let you know...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A destination drive is the drive you are using to save your file. I was grasping as well, thinking your drive might not have enough free space.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    how do I know which drive it is saving to? my computer says that drive C has 510 GB of 920 GB free... and HP recovery drive D has 1.36GB of 11.1 BG free. so it seems that recovery drive is almost out of space... but how do I know what it is saving to?? the movie says it is 58.14MB per minute of video (its like 26min long)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by arosemontages View Post
    how do I know which drive it is saving to? my computer says that drive C has 510 GB of 920 GB free... and HP recovery drive D has 1.36GB of 11.1 BG free. so it seems that recovery drive is almost out of space... but how do I know what it is saving to?? the movie says it is 58.14MB per minute of video (its like 26min long)
    When saving a completed project, Windows Movie Maker would not normally use the recovery partition, which is used to repair the OS. Windows Movie Maker would most likely be set up save to drive C, probably to My Videos.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you can get an external drive (hard disk, thumb, etc.), that would be ideal to save your projects, media and rendered files to.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote