VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use XMedia Recode for everything. Its ability to take original video files and put them into a different container first-generation, without any need for recoding or reprocessing, is extraordinarily helpful.

Is there another application that can do the same thing and that is user-friendly?

I ask because I've bumped into a seemingly unsolvable problem.

I've got this flv file with a frame rate of 25 frames a second.

Except that if I make what, supposedly, is a perfect copy to mp4, the mp4 copy's frame rate is screwed up, 20.something frames a second rather than 25 frames a second.

And when I bring the mp4 copy into my edit application, which is Premiere Elements, Premiere Elements plays back the file t-o-o s-l-o-w-l-y, because of the erroneous frame rate. Unfortunately it also sees the file with the CORRECT duration, which is 2:39:04.11. So, if I tell Premiere Elements to re-interpret the frame rate as being 25 frames a second, the duration gets screwed up.

Anyone encountered this problem before?

Is there some setting in XMedia Recode that will prevent this from happening?

Is there some other software, other than XMedia Recode, which any of you would recommend that is also capable of making lossless copies of flv files into mp4 and/or other kinds of containers??

Thanks, as always, to this community for its help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. xmediarecode uses ffmpeg (it's a gui for ffmpeg) . So if you're looking for another GUI, there are plenty. If xmediarecode fails, the others will likely fail in the same situations

Probably your FLV is VFR (variable frame rate) . Use mediainfo (view=>text), copy & paste back the results. If it's VFR, you usually have to convert to CFR to be able to edit properly in editing programs
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm fairly sure it IS VBR. That's what I was afraid of. I guess what you're telling me is that if it's variable bit rate I'm stuck; there's no way I can bring it into PE without recoding. Oh well, I was hoping maybe.

Thanks for responding so quick.
    Quote Quote  
  4. VFR is different than VBR

FR = frame rate

BR = bit rate

VBR is almost never a problem. VFR is almost always a problem (the more variable, the bigger the problem)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oops; thanks for the correction.
    Quote Quote