VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello all I am new to the video editing world and started doing some YouTube videos and ran into a little problem. I recorded some video on a my iPhone which shoots in 1080p. I also recorded some video on my point and shoot which records in 720p. Now when I was editing these video together I noticed when I started to render that the 720 video was way smaller than the a 1080p video. Like the 1080p video showed fine and the 720p was like in a little small box. Is there a way to make both videos look the same? So that there is no noticeable change in video size when the video changes from 1080 to 720 clips?

thanks..

Not sure if this matters but I am editing in adobe premiere.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    1. In premiere pro create a 1080p sequence.
    2. Place all you footage (1080p, 720p) on the sequence.
    2. For each 720p clip right click on the clip and select 'Set to Frame Size'

This will scale all the 720p clips to 1080p.

Make sure when you render you select 'Use Maximum Render Quality' to get a good scaling algorithm.

Alternatively you can downsample all the 1080p clips to 720p.

Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    thank you soooo much.. so simple yet I did not know what to do. I have to remember to start right clicking on video and see what those settings are. Thanks man that did the trick!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Don't upscale 720 to 1080, just downscale 1080 to 720, just my 2 cents worth.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    Don't upscale 720 to 1080, just downscale 1080 to 720, just my 2 cents worth.
    May I inquire what's your rationale?

Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Mine would be:
    - 1080p video doesn't necessarily have 1080p worth of picture detail
    - If the 1080p video does have more detail than the 720p video, the quality difference might be noticeable when switching from one to the other, whereas reducing the 1080p video to 720p might help them look the same.
    - 720p requires less bitrate to encode for a given quality than 1080p.
    - Simply assuming upscaling the 720p version would provide a benefit over downscaling the 1080p version without first comparing the two would be silly.
    - It's video for YouTube. How much can it matter given 720p would probably save bandwidth too.

Maybe your next poll could be about YouTube, bandwidth and video resolution.......
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Well that depends, are you asking for valid theoretical or technical reasons for why you should up-scale video over down-scaling video, or if you are asking me why i suggested down-scaling his 1080p to 720p for his own particular scenario.

If it is the latter of the 2, then that is very easy, because his source files are probably not that good, and because he is only doing it for Youtube purposes, no point in up-scaling and creating a bigger file, which then has to be uploaded into Youtube, which will take a lot longer to do than if it was a 720p file, plus Youtube will destroy it again by re-encoding it, just as they do with all my own 720/50p mp4 files, which i upload @12Mbps and Youtube re-encodes to around 2Mbps or less, but at least now with Firefox people are able to watch my 720/50p videos in 50p mode, where as before it was all 25p mode.

I wont bother with the theoretical or technical reasons because i am not very good at explaining that sort of stuff anyway, i will just say that it is a pointless exercise for a lot of obvious reasons.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Seeings how you never responded to my previous post, maybe you might like to explain to me why you suggested to the Topic creator as a first option, to set his output for the 720p video to 1080p, so both are joined as a single 1080p file.

you only suggested dropping the combined output from 1080p to 720p as a 2nd option.

Cheers

edit: While we are discussing Re-scaling video, what are your thoughts about up-scaling 1080p video to 4k, or down-scaling 4k to 1080p, would you ever consider doing either of these, and are both options going to give you good results.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Well, since you ask, we are talking about iPhone video, that is, in my opinion, already utter crap.

I simply helped the OP to get the footage having equal size in Premiere Pro either by upscaling or downscaling.

In the general case where there is good 1080 and 720 footage I would always upscale the 720 to 1080 as almost all currently and future manufactured devices will have 1080 or higher. The "it saves bits" argument is, in my opinion, laughable.

So what if it takes a few extra hours uploading on YouTube, after all the nights are long!

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The goal is to create a seamless quality level, across the whole render, that doesn't soften any of the clips too much.

I'd rather render a sharp 720p, than a 1080p with fuzzy parts.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    The goal is to create a seamless quality level, across the whole render, that doesn't soften any of the clips too much.
    I think you have hit the nail on the head very nicely by your explanation, but in reality, and especially in a scenario such as this one, with 2 completely different video clips, that outcome would often be a very difficult thing to achieve.

In theory, i have always been told that that if you have good quality 1080p and 720p videos, you should get a better quality output from a down-scaled 1080p video to 720p than you would up-scaling the 720p video to 1080p, at least where i come from, that is generally considered to be the line of thought, and i personally would never up-scale any 720p videos to 1080p regardless of their quality or intended use, and i have never had a need to do this anyway, especially given 2 of my full HD TV's will play 720p videos and upscale them to 1080p anyway.

I personally would never attempt to join 720p and 1080p video clips together and output at either 1080p or 720p, but if i had to, and both videos were very good quality, i would down-scale from 1080p to 720p, again just what i would do myself based on what i have been told by the people i know.

We don't know exactly what these 2 video clips look like in terms of quality, but regardless of this, if it was me joining these 2 video clips together, i would have loaded both videos up, leave the lower quality 720p video from the P&S camera as it is (retain what quality it currently has) then drop the 1080p iPhone video to 720p, and output the combined file to 720p, because i believe you would have a file that would offer 2 videos that look more similar than if you do it in the reverse.

Anyway, that is just my take on it, and i put this to other people that i know and they said the same thing, obviously it comes down to personal choice and what you believe in, rather than what may be theoretically correct, and for Youtube, well it probably won't make any difference anyway, we all know that once you upload a video, they re-convert it to a lower bitrate and ruin it again anyway.

Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    In the general case where there is good 1080 and 720 footage, I would always upscale the 720 to 1080 as almost all currently and future manufactured devices will have 1080 or higher.
    Leaving Youtube out of this debate for now, we all know that most HD TV's now days are 1080p, some now do 4k, so if that is the case (as you suggest) why on earth would you even bother up-scaling any 720p videos to 1080p just to play them on those TV's when these TV's will simply up-scale that video and play it at 1080p anyway, so why bother doing it manually in software.

Save yourself the time and energy and forget about it, just leave your 720p videos alone and let the TV do the up-scaling for you.

Cheers
    Last edited by glenpinn; 16th Jul 2015 at 00:27.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Leaving Youtube out of this debate for now, we all know that most HD TV's now days are 1080p, some now do 4k, so if that is the case (as you suggest) why on earth would you even bother up-scaling any 720p videos to 1080p just to play them on those TV's when these TV's will simply up-scale that video and play it at 1080p anyway, so why bother doing it manually in software.

Save yourself the time and energy and forget about it, just leave your 720p videos alone and let the TV do the up-scaling for you.
    That does not quite work if there is a mixture of 720 and 1080 clips in the same video as we are discussing in this topic. We are not talking about upscaling 720 clips in isolation.

Quote Quote  
  13. [QUOTE=newpball;2400223]

That does not quite work if there is a mixture of 720 and 1080 clips in the same video as we are discussing in this topic. We are not talking about upscaling 720 clips in isolation.
    Now you are twisting this around to suit your own needs, and yes we are now talking about up-scaling 720p to 1080p in isolation.

In your previous post up the page, you said "In the general case where there is good 1080 and 720 footage I would always upscale the 720 to 1080 as almost all currently and future manufactured devices will have 1080 or higher."

What has that comment got to do with the silly youtube topic being discussed.

Going by that comment, it appeared very much to me that you had moved away from this silly youtube scenario, and was actually referring back to a general discussion about up-scaling of 720p videos to 1080p for playback on these 1080p and higher devices, because that is what i read that comment to mean, and had nothing to do with combining 720p and 1080p videos for youtube as was being discussed originally.

That is why i responded with the comment where i said "Leaving Youtube out of this debate" as quoted above, which was meant to suggest that we ignore the debate about combining the 2 files for youtube at either 1080p or 720p, and deal with with general up-scaling video from 720p to 1080p for playback on 1080p and 4k TV, which i then went on to explain that if you had good quality 720p videos and was going to play them on a 1080p or higher TV, why would you bother manually up-scaling them when the TV will automatically do it for you.

Personally if you want to suggest to the OP that he upscale the lower quality 720p video to 1080p and output both to 1080p, then that is your choice, it is definately not the way i would be suggesting the OP do it.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search PM
    Now you are twisting this around to suit your own needs, and yes we are now talking about up-scaling 720p to 1080p in isolation.
    Why would I? What needs?

This topic is about mixing 720 and 1080. I helped the OP, he was happy about it. I told you iPhone video is crap anyway whether 720 or 1080. And upscaling crap only gives larger crap.

Sure everybody can have his opinion so let me drill down a bit:

Say you have 720p and SD footage for a documentary what would you do? Release it in SD?

Or say you have 1080p30 and 1080p60 what would you do? Decimate the 1080p60?

Last edited by newpball; 16th Jul 2015 at 01:28.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hahaha, iPhone video isn't "crap". Maybe you haven't tried an iPhone lately.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    And upscaling crap only gives larger crap
    As far as that comment goes, you are absolutely correct, which now surprises me even more why you suggested the OP upscale his 720p video (the lower quality one) and output the combined video to 1080p, it kind of defies logic.

Remember, just because a 720p video is crap, that doesn't mean it is going to get more crappier or degrade more (by percentage) than a good quality 720p video will if you use the same output settings in your profile, both will degrade somewhat by the same percentage using the same identical output profile.

That very comment is one of the reasons why i suggested to down-scale the better quality 1080p video and leave the poorer quality 720p vodeo alone, and output both at 720p so they will look a bit closer to each other in quality, rather than making them look more different by going the other way.

Clearly you and i both disagree with each other on both these topics, so better that we just move on and forget about it.

Say you have 720p and SD footage for a documentary what would you do? Release it in SD?

Or say you have 1080p30 and 1080p60 what would you do? Decimate the 1080p60?
    Wow, why are you now introducing all this stuff into the debate, it has absolutely nothing to do with re-scaling 720p and 1080p video in isolation for the purposes of watching them on TV, and certainly not for youtube.

Anyway, to answer your last 2 questions before i give up on this, i think i already said i would never combine any videos of a different size or resolution because i have no valid reason to do it, and i would never attempt to do it on a consumer level anyway, however there may be times when adding older SD video to a HD video may need to be done, particularly as i have seen it done in TV broadcasting, but that is not my area of expertise so i am not even going to go there, will leave that for someone more qualified to talk about.

Finally, as far as combining 1080/30p and 1080/60p video goes (i live in Australia, we have 25p and 50p over here) but none the less, i have never had any need or reason to re-frame any video, be it mine or someone elses, even though my editing software is able to drop 50p to 25p, i would never want to do do it anyway, might as well just shoot my video in 25p mode, and there is no way i will ever shoot 25p video when i can have 50p.

The same as i will never shoot video with any DSLR type interchangeable lens camera (except maybe a Sony A7S for its amazing low light ability) and nor will i shoot my roaming video without good AF and OIS systems on board, and my new 4k camera will be one that will give me all these option as well, even tho i will have to pay a lot more for it.

Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Hahaha, iPhone video isn't "crap". Maybe you haven't tried an iPhone lately.
    Yep, my thoughts as well.
    Last edited by glenpinn; 16th Jul 2015 at 07:14.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Fortunately, Vegas doesn't care if you work in 720 or 1080 and references (or can be made to reference) to original sources. Which means you can edit your entire project and then play around with the project and render settings, test short samples and see which works best in your case.
    Quote Quote