VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having an issue burning 2 video/audio files to a DVD. I am using Sony Vegas Movie Studio v11 for my editor and DVD Architect v3.0 to create the menus and burn to the DVD. I first attempted to burn to a regular 4.7 GB DVD, but DVD Architect indicated that there wasn't enough capacity for the video (119%). So, I tried with 8.5 DVD+R DL, which DVD Architect initially indicated should be sufficient (65%). However, when I reached the last stage before burning, I was presented with a prompt to select the Chapter Marker which would delineate what part of the video would be on the second layer. I tried selecting any and all of the listed chapters and when I hit "Burn", it errors out indicating that the DVD doesn't have the capacity. Short of buying more up to date version of DVD Architect (realize it is out-dated), is there anything else I can do to get the video files burned to the DVD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    First, understand that 4.7GB (SL) and 8.5GB (DL) are NOT the actual capacities of those discs. Rather, 4.37 and 7.95, respectively (due to the mixup between binary & decimal notation nomenclature).

Next, a layer break must occur at a chapter mark, and a layer break chapter mark must occur at a *CLEAN* GOP boundary (I-frame). If you encoded your assets as OpenGOP (which is a valid option for DVD), there is likely NO clean GOP boundary (because each GOP's penultimate & ultimate B-frames rely on the succeeding GOPs' I-frame - can't break that up!).

Select ClosedGOP when using DL discs, and you shouldn't have near that much trouble.
    Or encode to a lower bitrate to fit within 4.37 and put on an SL disc, without having to worry about it being OpenGOP.

Scott

Oh, and you will want to update your DVDA when you can, it's worth it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Or use AvsToDVD to create the DVD, although its menus are pretty rudimentary.

And if you already have the dual layer files made but no chapter point in place so you can split it conveniently, you can create a new chapter point at around the midway point using VobBlanker which should then allow the burn. And maybe use ImgBurn to burn to disc:

http://download.videohelp.com/jsoto/guides/VobBlanker/splitting_cells/index.htm

In fact, before doing anything you might try and burn to a dual layer disc using ImgBurn as it can choose a good place to split. If your DVD was only 65% of capacity and you had some spread out chapter points, I find it odd that there wouldn't be one that allowed the burn.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/4643-how-to-write-a-dvd-video-double-layer-d...using-imgburn/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why not give DVDShrink a try,at only 19% over it should be a breeze.
    Quote Quote