VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello
    I never thought I would end up trying to mess around with a video dvd. I spent a sleepless night on the internet searching around trying to find an answer. Today, I came across this forum so im hoping that somebody will be able to help me out.
    The problem is this:
    I have a video DVD. I try to play it on my computer in VLC, but it doesn't do anything. If I move the slider along it will play the video without any sound. Ive copied the DVD file onto my HDD, which is an .iso file (I have no idea if this is the common file type...). Ive unpacked the .iso file to reveal audio and video folders. Inside the video folder are .bup, .ifo, .vob files. By clicking on VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, VTS_01_3.VOB and VTS_01_4.VOB I can play the video WITH sound.
    I would like to know this:
    What freeware software can I use to recreate a video DVD?
    To really confuse myself, I came across DVDAuthorGUI. vts_01_1.VOB added ok. When I tried to add VTS_01_2.VOB it said "Nav packets are not detected in vts_01_1.VOB. Please demultiplex." This, to me, is rocket science. I cannot get my head around the logic, because to me I don't understand why it would accept the first file (which contains both video and audio), but complain about the second file (which, too, contains both video and audio). I thought I would just add the four .vob files, press a button or two or three and burn, but apparently not!
    So here I am
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    If you have the Video_TS folder on the hard drive there are any number of different ways to work with it or recreate a DVD-video.

The first thing you might try is to run the video through FixVTS. Process all the Vob files, then test the output to see if this helps playback.

If you want to re-author the DVD, one way is to use AVStoDVD. AVStoDVD will not re-encode compliant video or audio streams, so you will not lose visual quality, but you will lose the original menu if this is a concern. You can make a new, fairly simple menu in AVStoDVD if you absolutely need one. When you import the files into AVStoDVD use the VTS_01_0.IFO file, and let the program index the vob files.
    Quote Quote  
  3. play it on my computer in VLC, but it doesn't do anything
    A note about VLC and DVD playback. A DVD has a "First Play Domain". On commercial DVD it often contain stuff like FBI warnings. The developers of VLC has decided as default to skip this. A DVD could however be made so that domain is vital for playback of the DVD. So perhaps try changing the default behavior by unticking the checkbox shown below.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	VLC.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	32461  

Quote Quote