VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

After having parked my VHS archival project due to a series of personal events, I have finally come back to it and have encountered some problems with my new set up.
    My new set up is the following (based in UK-PAL)
    JVC HR-S8600EK S-VHS player with TBC/NR (I also have a damaged JVC BR-S525 and a Pana HS-121)
    AVT-8710 TBC (s-video cables in and out)
    BlackMagic Design Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0
    Windows 8.1 64bit PC based on Intel Core i7-3770K CPU, Asus P8Z77-V PRO Motherboard, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD (Software) and 2x 1TB HDD RAID for capture
    Adobe Premier Pro and BM Media Express for Capture and PrePro for editing.
    My main objective is to transfer family home videos shot from 1988 to approx. 1999 and the occasional TV recording (family and friends that appeared in TV shows in those years) to digital format for restoration and archival. The first stage is to record and then trim any non-wanted footage (most Camera captures are at the beginning, middle or end of VHS tapes with other recording- we were teenagers then.). Some tapes are top quality and bought and used for main events (wedding, first communions, etc), others are cheap, non-branded tapes, used multiple times…
    Workflow: Capture in BM 10 bit uncompressed 4:2:2 YUV (AVI) and trim in Adobe Premiere. So far so good. I than render and export, in “same as source” mode, but I am encountering two issues:
    1- The sum of three clips, total 29 minutes = sum of 33gb files (adding the individual clips sizes) becomes a 40+gb file after encoding
    2- The output has interlaced artifacts not visible in the captured clips. I have searched the web and already checked that the setting of project, source and output (same as source) are the same. If I play the original capture in Quick time, Microsft Media Player, etc, there are no combing artefacts. However, these appear in the rendered/encoded file.

As I live in another country and brought with me all the tapes, and will soon visit the family back home, I would like to at least return the initial trimmed transfer in probably an AVCHD disk format (basically an H.264 compressed Gold DVD archival grade playable in a Blu Ray player) on my forthcoming visit. I will then spend some time to restore each transferred tape with the various Virtyual Dub filters and probably try some After Effects Color Correction (Red Giant Magic Bullets Plug Inns) and Up scaling (Either Red Giant Instant HD or Infognition's Video Enhancer)

Can someone help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. "same as source" doesn't always work . Double check that :

1) the files are interpreted as interlaced with the correct field order (upper or lower , whatever your files actually are)
    2) sequence settings have the same interpretation
    3) export settings have the same interpretation

The different filesize suggests a problem, or that you're not using the same input format as output. Use mediainfoxp and check (view=>text) on an input file , and an output file copy the text view back here
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    "same as source" doesn't always work . Double check that :

1) the files are interpreted as interlaced with the correct field order (upper or lower , whatever your files actually are)
    2) sequence settings have the same interpretation
    3) export settings have the same interpretation

The different filesize suggests a problem, or that you're not using the same input format as output. Use mediainfoxp and check (view=>text) on an input file , and an output file copy the text view back here
    Thanks, will try this evening.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Original File
    General
    Complete name : E:\My Videos\PrePro\1991 second capture.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    Format profile : OpenDML
    File size : 29.3 GiB
    Duration : 24mn 52s
    Overall bit rate : 169 Mbps

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : YUV
    Codec ID : UYVY
    Codec ID/Info : Uncompressed 16bpp. YUV 4:2:2 (Y sample at every pixel, U and V sampled at every second pixel horizontally on each line). A macropixel contains 2 pixels in 1 u_int32.
    Bit rate : 166 Mbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 5:4
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
    Compression mode : Lossless
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 16.000
    Time code of first frame : 08:06:40:00 / 08:06:40:00
    Time code source : Adobe tc_A / Adobe tc_O
    Stream size : 28.8 GiB (98%)

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Codec ID : 1
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 273 MiB (1%)
    Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 1000 ms (25.00 video frames)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Encoded 3 clips (should have been 32GB instead of 42..)

General
    Complete name : E:\My Videos\PrePro\Sequence 01.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    Format profile : OpenDML
    File size : 40.6 GiB
    Duration : 25mn 59s
    Overall bit rate : 224 Mbps
    Recorded date : 2015-07-05T10:54+01:00 / 2015-07-05T10:54+01:00
    Writing application : Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 (Windows) / Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 (Windows)

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : YUV
    Codec ID : v210
    Codec ID/Hint : AJA Video Systems Xena
    Bit rate : 221 Mbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 5:4
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
    Bit depth : 10 bits
    Compression mode : Lossless
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 21.333
    Time code of first frame : 00:00:00:00 / 00:00:00:00
    Time code source : Adobe tc_A / Adobe tc_O
    Stream size : 40.2 GiB (99%)

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Codec ID : 1
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 286 MiB (1%)
    Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 1000 ms (24.99 video frames)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ignoring the differences due to the running time change, the main difference is the video codec used - which is NOT the same as source!

As you can see:
    Audio is basically the same. No worries there.

Video source is UYVY-coded, 4:2:2 16bpp or 166Mbps.
    Video destination is v210-coded, 4:2:2 21.333bpp or 221Mbps.

This is probably due to Premiere not being able to use the same BMD UYVY codec on output, so tries the nearest available equivalent (the Aja v210 codec) which seems to be not as efficient in its coding. A check on that codec format shows that it does indeed pad to 32bit byte boundaries, thus there is always extra overhead/baggage. Should NOT affect the quality, however.

Interesting that neither source nor destination gives any indication about interlacing.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    I would recommend using the UtVideo codec using the intensity pro, works great with Premiere!

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I also just noted that 16bpp in the UYVY is not possible for 10bit 4:2:2 (likely, it's using 8bit). It SHOULD be 20bpp (2/3 of 10bit 4:4:4's 30bpp). So you should double-check to see if you actually are getting your full 10bits encode. Posterization/Banding?

Scott
    Quote Quote