Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	diagonallines.PNG
Views:	462
Size:	704.4 KB
ID:	32334

I've tried everything I can think of but I can't stop getting these lines. I've tried tons of software and even multiple capture devices but they all do this. Is there something I'm missing? I'm going through composite if that info helps.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    It's called herringbone noise. If the tape always plays that way everywhere, it's on the tape and might have originally been recorded that way. If it's on all your taps, your player is really sick.

Many have had good luck with VirtualDub's FSn filter ("Frequency Suppressor of the Noise", from a translation of its original Russian name). Version 3.6 here: http://acobw.narod.ru/file/fsn.zip . There's also an Avisynth filter that works (well, almost) but does more damage than FSN, is klutzy to use, and requires rotation of the image and estimating the number of pixels thickness for each crosshatch line and the pixel spaces between them. I'd rather go with FSN.

Herringbone is the least of the problems in your image. Looks like a terminal case of rainbows and bad splotches. Almost like pointilist art. Good luck.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 29th Jun 2015 at 22:01.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks. That's just a random VHS I was using. The rest are family videos so whatever comes out of them, I'll take it.
    Quote Quote