VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Before the Creative Cloud series, the project manager worked fine for me. I am doing video montage about videogames in my times and the pre CC version was able to trim my FRAPS footage correctly, reducing project size and accurately without a itch, that without re-encoding and affecting compression at all.

Now with the Creative cloud series, I have no more this option available. Only 'collecting' files to another folder, which doesn't reduce the project size at all. The other options are to re-encode the files with mediocre compression methods. I tried to import my own solution with Lagarith lossless codec but that doesn't quite working well, more often than not the Project Manager pop me an error saying that there's different size, framerate or whatsoever and automatically ignore the file property and transfer the file as is without trimming it and recompiling.

With a latest update of CC2015, it not much different with the exception of adding a more stable re-encoding codecs such as GoPro, but they aren't still lossless and still need re-encoding to be able to trim the clips. I am a fan of lossless because most of my archive contain clips that are likely to be re-used in the future to re-upload into better streaming sites.

Because my old process to manually trim down the clips is becoming too heavy because of this change, I'm inclined to use new ways of archiving but I have no idea where I should look that fit into my needs. The new GoPro codec in Project Manager seems promising, but I'm not aware of the flaws, and there's so little reviews online about it. Can't see if it cause some artifacts and change the colorspaces.

I need to learn a new way to do this, can you help me on this?
    Last edited by Jonz; 29th Jun 2015 at 16:22.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use AviDemux.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you, but that's not a solution that I am looking for. The project is already build and that would require to rebuild the entire movie.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In most major NLEs, the codecs available are governed by which containers and which architectures the app supports. It is not a "mix & match" setup either. This leads to certain incompatibilities & constraints.

For example, if you wanted to use the HUFFyuv codec in an app, but the app only supported the MOV container (using the 32bit-Quicktime7-for-Windows architecture) and the AVI container (using the DirectShow architecture), you would be out of luck because the HUFFyuv codec is only available in the VFW (for AVI) architecture and the ffmpeg architecture (and ffmpeg, while very versatile, is rarely/never included in major commercial software distributions).
    And there is the added complications of 32bit-compatibility vs. 64bit-compatibility, and then there is the difference in support between read/import capability and write/export capability.

Plus, for NLEs that have default/preview render filetype presets, this is likely only a subset of the above conditions which also support smart rendering, so a "transcoding" preset choice may be very limited indeed.

One thing I would try would be to first archive your project set using the Copy/Collect option (to consolidate into a single folder all your assets), and then open the "copied" project and Consolidate/Transcode, but first changing the render preset to a different default. Maybe FRAPS won't work, but there are other lossless codecs out there that might: LAGS, UTvideo, MagicYUV...

I've only barely worked one project using the newest CC Pr, so I don't have a live example or tute to give you, but hopefully that will point you in a good direction.

Scott
    Quote Quote