VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This post is based on my experiences using "How to convert to SVCD the FOOLPROOF way with Cinema Craft Encoder, including how to resize" guide, based on this website

This guide is exclusively about using CCE and VDUB1.4.9 for frameserving as the above guide suggests.

I do not endorse or condone the use of either of these software programs.

These are four hard learned lessons that I thought I would share with everyone based on my hardships in converting from Divx to MPEG2 compliant

I am sure there are more, so feel free write your own guide if this doesn't apply to you.

1. Cinema Craft Encoder (CCE)2.62 and above usually does not allow VDUB to frameserve it directly. "How to convert to SVCD the FOOLPROOF way with Cinema Craft Encoder, including how to resize." guide tells you that you can, it may or may not be referring to CCE 2.5

I originally tried with VDUB1.49 and CCE 2.62.

Problem: CCE 2.6x gives you an error something to the effect that "The VDR file that you choose is not recognized as an AVI file."

Solution: Downgrade to CCE 2.5. On my computer, it successfully recognizes the VDR file (VDUB Frameserving file extension) to be recognized as a valid AVI file.

2 CCE 2.5 may or may not require that in VDUB you have included an audio file in your frameserver. You then uncheck audio in CCE and it may or may not work fine.

Problem: Avi File Openf:\Your file) Unknown Error

Solution:

CCE needs audio input or else it produces an error or just crashes in my case. In VDub, under Audio, select WAV source and choose any old wav you have handy, doesn't matter what size. Then when you frameserve, CCE should have no problems - then uncheck the Audio file in the CCE project settings.
    *JJamez Certifiable Joined: 09 May 2001 Posts: 219

The audio may make all of the difference, depending on your computer's configuration Like JJAmez says above, it doesn't matter what wav file you use, just as long as CCE sees audio on the frameserver.

3.Depending on the AVI file that you are working from, CCE may or may not require the frameserver to have outputted an "old format avi"when stripping the streaming video from your DIVX file.

Problem:"Read only 0 Bytes, while expecting 8 bytes " error.

Solution:
    Open up your original divx .avi file in Vdub. Turn off the audio, and make sure that video is set to "direct stream copy."

Then, head to the file menu and save your now-soundless .avi using "save old format .avi."

Take the (new) old format .avi you just saved, and CCE will love it
    * revjake Member Joined: 25 Mar 2002 Posts: 25

4. CCE 2.5 has been known to, in some configurations, not run unless it is in compatibilty mode in Win2k/XP Pro. Should you get an error message, and none of the other solutions listed here or elsewhere seem to solve your problem, you may want to try this:

In XP, right click on properties, choose the compatibility mode tab and then choose win95, or WinNTSP5. May or may not work like a charm. In 2000 you need to run apcompat.exe, which may or may not be found in the support folder on your WIn2k CD. Choose WInNT sp5 compatiblity and it may or may not be self explanatory from there. I actually looked up apcompat.exe on www.microsoft.com, and it had complete instructions.

Regards,

Corky
    Quote Quote  
  2. the sulotio to Problem:"Read only 0 Bytes, while expecting 8 bytes " error.

works

but how can i add the audio back
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm trying to follow the SVCD creation guide at
    http://stanwebber.dirtyhosting.com/dvd.html
    but when I try to open my .vdr file from VirtualDub in Cinema Craft
    Encoder SP 2.5 I get this error message from CinemaCraft:

AVIFileOpen("C\...\bmu.vdr"): According to the registry, the type of file specified in AVIFileOpen does not have a handler to process it.

TMPenc also has an error saying that it is not a valid avi file.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking of trying it on a win2k machine, instead of this XP box.

Cerote.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    good guides but just a note that you CAN frame serve to CCE 2.64.10 (now) and the audio has been improved -- though still not great , compatability w/ win2k is perfect .. dont know about XP...

seems slower now though ...
    Quote Quote