VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

im a newbie concerning mkvmerge, mkvtoolnix etc
    i only know how to use the gui ones and i cant do what i want based on my knowledge with them
    so im open to suggestion even if in other programs, could someone help me split a large mkv file based on chapters without re-encoding?

here is what i have, a 4 hours long mkv file with 50 chapters (have their own titles).
    i want to split this mkv file to 50 mkvs or mp4s with chapters titles becoming the names of the 50 videos.

one more request and its a minor one because im not sure its even doable, imagine if the 4 hours long mkv file have an srt subtitle, could that be split along with videos and keeping its timings intact. (this is not important as i can do it manually myself)

please elaborate more if you're going to suggest mkvmerge command-line stuff as im a newbie and cant figure out how to use them.

thx in advance and sorry for my poor english.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MKVMerge GUI will do "mostly" what you want to do. This is assuming that the mkv file you have has the both the chapters AND srt file muxed (contained inside) your mkv file.
    Open MKVMerge GUI. ADD your mkv file (in the little "Input Files" window, it should show you all the components of your mkv file, including hopefully chapters and your srt subtitles).
    Go to the "Global" tab -> Splitting. For Split Mode, use Split Before Chapters. For Chapter Numbers, type "all" (not including quotes). Then at the bottom, click "Start Muxing".
    This should separate your mkv into a full mkv file for each chapter, including separating and retiming your srt subtitles. However, it will not rename the individual files to the chapters names ... it will name each file the same as the original file, but appending (1), (2) and so on to the end of the filename. You would have to manually rename the files yourself when the process is finished.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thats fantastic, thank you very much, renaming the files can be easily done using a batch renaming application so its no trouble, and yes i have everything in place regarding the subtitles and the chapter files. so everything is good, thanks for your help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No worries ... happy to help
    Please let me know if you have any problems and I'll do my best to help you resolve them.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    will do, thanks again bro
    Quote Quote