VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, can anyone please suggest any simple way i can convert .MOD files to .WMV. I need to do this for a friend so he can play it back on his DVD player.

I don't need to be able to do anything fancy, editing etc to the video, just a simple conversion so his DVD player can play it.

I googled this but there just doesn't seem to be any straightforward answer. please help me if anyone can thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And a DVD player can play a .wmv file ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Anyway.

Try these.

1. Simply rename your .mod file to .mpg since that is all a .mod file basically is.
    2. Try to load the .mod file into avidemux. I do not think that exports to .wmv (see the earlier response) but if it accepts it you should be able to copy the stream to a simple mpeg-2 file. (that dvd player will play that)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, his DVD player can play mov and mp4 but not .mod files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Make/Model No ?

wmv is not necessarily .mov

And have you tried what I suggest ?. It helps to have feedback on the suggestions made.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I dont know the make model. I havent yet tried what you suggested but I will in about an hour or two.

Literally all I wanted to know is how to convert .mod to .wmv that is all, I really didn't think it would be very difficult.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    And what kind of file is .MOD? I guess you don't mean the Commodore AMIGA Soundtracker Module format if you refer to video?

Well, Wikipedia knows something: Panasonic/JVC/Canon camcorder recordings. Looks similar to AVCHD structures, so the MOD files are probably in fact M2TS.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    MOD video can be viewed on a computer with a player that is capable of reproducing MPEG-2 video. This video can be easily authored for watching on a DVD player without recompression, because it is fully compliant with DVD-video standard.
    So I would recommend too. Author it as regular DVD-Video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ffmpeg should do it, you can try a GUI like FFQueue to make it simple.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  9. I will try whats suggested soon, but I cannot author it on dvd because my friend play his files off of a portable HDD which stores all his videos on. His .mod files won't play but the .wmv and .mp4 files will from the HDD via a DVD player/TV.
    Quote Quote  
  10. i tried FFQueue I select add, then try to add one of the .MOD files in input #1 but I get this strange message. Then I try to save the job, and it I must select atleast one stream before saving a job. I have no idea what any of this means.

Is it really this difficult to convert .mod to .wmv in 2015 ? lol
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shadow85 View Post
    i tried FFQueue I select add, then try to add one of the .MOD files in input #1 but I get this strange message. Then I try to save the job, and it I must select atleast one stream before saving a job. I have no idea what any of this means.
    What strange message? FFQueue will probe the .MOV (or .MOD?) using FFprobe (part of FFmpeg bundle) and it would be nice to know if there are any problems with this? FFQueue will not allow you to save a job that has no streams (or no content) to process because this would make no sense

Can you try to run the command:

Code:
    C:\Path\To\FFmpeg\bin\ffprobe.exe -pretty -show_format -show_streams "D:\path\to\your\video.mov"
    And post what comes out? You can append ">ffprobe_output.txt" to the command above to get it stored in a text file..

P.S: If the video has the extension *.MOD - please try to rename it to *.MPG and try reencoding it with FFQueue again. It might be because FFprobe does not recognize MOD as actually being MPG.
    I'm the developer behind FFQueue. My posts might reflect this! ;-)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Again, you are not reading what is being written. Allow me to attempt to clarify.

Mov is a container format. Back in the time of the ark it meant apple quicktime as the underlying video codec. I hardly expect any dvd player accepting that which requires a PC installed codec to run.

Today, container formats are more advanced. So....

...that .wmv file that your friend's player accepts more than likely is mpeg2 inside that container.

You have been asked more than once to attempt to simply rename that .MOD file to .mpg. Have you tried ?. Did it not work ?

And, yes, if you get errors in trying the methods suggested you have to report them ad-verbatim. No one here is a mind-reader.

But, also, .mp4 is another container format. Just because the file is an mp4 there is no guarantee that it will play and more so if you were to chose the wrong codec.

Make this a little easier for all of us. Get the make/model of this dvd player from your friend.
    Last edited by DB83; 30th Jun 2015 at 03:59. Reason: typo clarity
    Quote Quote