VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MTS files to DVD ISO any free options?
    A club I volunteer at records the meetings in MTS format.
    I would like to go direct from MTS file to a dvd iso to maintain the highest quality. Without having to go MTS to MP4 to DVD to ISO format. seems I would lose some quality

I would like to see if anyone knows of a free program that can do the job.

I looked in the forums and the only mentions of doing this are pretty old and most are not really complete solutions.

I was hoping more had options had appeared since 2010 since the format is more common now.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Since you seem to require an all-in-one solution, I'd suggest AvsToDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Agreed, AVStoDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    AVStoDVD normally outputs as DVD-video in file format (Video_TS and Audio_TS folders). To get an ISO from it, you'll also need to have ImgBurn installed in your computer, and you will need to select Options-->Output Setup-->ISO UDF Image.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by videovic View Post
    I would like to go direct from MTS file to a dvd iso to maintain the highest quality.
    Are you recording in HD?

Because if you do and put it on a DVD you are not maintaining the highest quality.
    Not even close!

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    I would like to go direct from MTS file to a dvd iso to maintain the highest quality.
    Are you recording in HD?

Because if you do and put it on a DVD you are not maintaining the highest quality.
    Not even close!

I was not aware of that!! ( sarcasm since the original question was ignored by newpball )

So you think the best option would be to record at dvd quality ?

Since you may not understand. We are recording at the highest resolution we have available, even though most people who are viewing it, only have dvd players. Plus the media cost is a lot lower than bluray currently .
    Did you think we delete the original file?

For the others who recommended AVStoDVD, THANKS, I am trying it, it just takes soooo long.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    Plus the media cost is a lot lower than bluray currently .
    Verbatim BD-R 25 GB 6X with Branded Surface, Disc 50-disc Spindle 98397

A whopping $0.81 per disc

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    he was just saying you can put HD content on dvd media.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by imhh1 View Post
    Indeed, there are lots of people who are not aware of that and think that HD content can be put on a video DVD and if someone writes 'maintain the highest quality' then obviously alarm bells should ring!

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For the others who recommended AVStoDVD, THANKS, I am trying it, it just takes soooo long.
    Yes. Re-sizing and re encoding is slow when you use a good MPEG-2 encoder. HCEnc is pretty good.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by imhh1 View Post
    Indeed, there are lots of people who are not aware of that and think that HD content can be put on a video DVD and if someone writes 'maintain the highest quality' then obviously alarm bells should ring!

Since the OP wrote "most people who are viewing it only have dvd players", the alarm bells should also ring when someone proposes putting HD video on DVD. DVD players don't play HD video, and most only play authored DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I am in a similar situation and i'll be honest, making DVDs for group consumption is simply too difficult. Have you considered putting the video on a private Youtube channel? It is much easier encoding for the web imo.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    I am in a similar situation and i'll be honest, making DVDs for group consumption is simply too difficult. Have you considered putting the video on a private Youtube channel? It is much easier encoding for the web imo.
    Great idea!

I suspect next we are going to hear from the usual suspect that putting it HD/QHD/UHD on YouTube is simply unwatchable compared to viewing it from a DVD or if that fails there is always the granny argument.

Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @newpball

time to up the dosage on your meds.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	meds-1.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	32512  

Is he gone?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Great idea!

I suspect next we are going to hear from the usual suspect that putting it HD/QHD/UHD on YouTube is simply unwatchable compared to viewing it from a DVD or if that fails there is always the granny argument.

I am not saying there are NO applications for DVDs. For example: when I know the movie will be displayed in a public setting on an SD projector, then a DVD is perfect for obvious reasons, which is often the case when doing volunteer video for groups. I think DVDs also have a lot of advantages for archival purposes (not to be confused with authoring; although BD media is cheap enough now that I have migrated away from DVD for archiving). But ALL the video I shoot is Full HD in a native progressive format (actually I lied, I occasionally shoot 4K with my phone for kicks). So Youtube is a much better option for me because it preserves the resolution.

However, with all that said, I have also noticed that professional video firms I have dealt with in my town have not migrated to BD, but still charge upwards to $35 for a DVD (blecccchh).
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The OP and the club will have to decide if YouTube is a viable option. If he's lucky it may be. ...but strange as it may seem to one member participating in this thread, there are still people living in the US who do not have a computer or who have one but still use dial-up Internet service.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search PM
    No internet?

Now I am curious what kind of club videovic volunteers at.

Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No internet?

You need to see a someone about your personality disorder.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Plus the media cost is a lot lower than bluray currently .
    Verbatim BD-R 25 GB 6X with Branded Surface, Disc 50-disc Spindle 98397

A whopping $0.81 per disc

@newpball
    In testing your bluray solution virtually in my mind, I was unable to get the bluray disc to play in the dvd players.

If I could get Bluray players at $.81 per player, you would not hear from me again since I will be buying containers of them to resale.

@SameSelf
    Originally Posted by sameself
    "RE Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    I am in a similar situation and i'll be honest, making DVDs for group consumption is simply too difficult. Have you considered putting the video on a private Youtube channel? It is much easier encoding for the web imo."
    Actually for some to many of our people/ viewers, internet viewing may not be viable. Also a lot of times they are either shipped out of the country or viewed in other group location, or other areas where internet is not an option.

and "newball"
    Originally Posted by newpball
    "Great idea!

I suspect next we are going to hear from the usual suspect that putting it HD/QHD/UHD on YouTube is simply unwatchable compared to viewing it from a DVD or if that fails there is always the granny argument."

I am not sure who the usual suspects are, BUT.....
    Sometimes it is very difficult to understand others may not have the same capabilities as yourself, ignorance can grow from an assumption that all are just like you .
    One moment...
    Dear God, Gods, or Nonexistant gods, Thank you not everyone is like newball
    Just wanted to cover all bases
    Many times these will be played in remote locations, locations with no internet access , locations where they have to run a generator just to get electricity.

Originally Posted by newpball
    No internet?

a horticulture club ( that is about growing things)
    The Fiber connection does not reach to some farms after the hundreds of miles from the nearest big towns.
    Some times the discs are played at schools, county fairs, places outside the country, farms, old persons house,
    Many of the projectors cannot display HD videos due to limitations
    Feel free to tell me what I need to update the world.

@usually_quiet
    Thanks I will look a the the encoder and try to get it to work.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search PM
    The Fiber connection does not reach to some farms after the hundreds of miles from the nearest big towns.
    Some times the discs are played at schools, county fairs, places outside the country, farms, old persons house,
    The ageism argument didn't take long to surface....

Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The ageism argument didn't take long to surface....

not sure how ageism came to be involved in this, since the original question still ignored by newpball was about MTS to DVD ISO
    But as far as the age thing, we have members from 21 to 95 yeas old.
    Board members tend to be from 45 to 84 year old.
    The older members tend to have less needs for computers for various reasons
    We actually had a board meeting on this.
    Most people 45 years or older typically did not have computers in school up to High School.
    Someone who retired 20 years ago, may have never needed a computer at work to complete job.
    Some people who have retired, who used computers at work may have no interest in using computers.
    And as far as our group, from membership records, most members who do not have email address happen to be older.
    The older board members pointed these things out themselves.
    If you perceive this under a convenient label of ageism, or have a difficult time contemplating someone who has no email address or computer then Iditism has already surfaced
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HCEnc is one of the encoders available in AVStoDVD. Unfortunately with video encoding the rule is that you can have a fast result or you can have quality result, but you can't have both, unless you happen to have a Xeon workstation at your disposal.

I'm one of the usual suspects. newpball is a troll who has attempted to derail numerous DVD-related threads with similar stupidity.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, It is pretty apparent newpball is a troll lacking in knowledge to help others so he just rattles on making nonsense .
    Quote Quote