VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Do you shoot videos handheld?

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    Do you shoot videos handheld?

No, not with a shoulder rig or a steady cam or any other helping device but solely in the hands!

Last edited by newpball; 17th Jun 2015 at 17:45.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Gee seems i am the only person to have replied so far ?

Ok, i shoot a lot of travel videos, so i need to be very careful with things such as the gear that i use, as well as the size of the camera that i choose to shoot with while traveling.

My video is shot in 1080/50p AVCHD mode in what i call hand held mode, however it is not the traditional palm held method that you refer to.

I will never shoot video by just holding my camera in the palm of my hand, even with the best image stabilization it can be hopeless, plus there is the issue of ergonomics that also comes into play as well, many cams (especially those DSLR type cameras) are absolute pains in the butt to shoot with in hand held mode, especially if you have a larger lens fitted, they just become very front heavy and even mounted on a rig they just don't seem to work very well.

I made my own customized Monopod, and a small light weight hand held camera rig made from 20mm pvc plumbing pipe and fittings, both designed to fit my 2x SDT750 Cams and to suit my own shooting style.

The Monopod is self explanatory, used to replace a cumbersome Tripod, and the camera Rig was made with a detachable neck support, or i can attach a smaller chest support, both of which you can see in the following link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gzpnla97wa0ov0r/AAAVjDeZTO2_aSDqAE1AQWAEa?dl=0

My upgrade to 4k camera in the very near future i will have to focus on camera size and weight because i do shoot most of my video on the go, and while traveling, where light weight and portability is a must.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    Gee seems i am the only person to have replied so far ?
    I am glad you do.

I will never shoot video by just holding my camera in the palm of my hand, even with the best image stabilization it can be hopeless, plus there is the issue of ergonomics that also comes into play as well, many cams (especially those DSLR type cameras) are absolute pains in the butt to shoot with in hand held mode, especially if you have a larger lens fitted, they just become very front heavy and even mounted on a rig they just don't seem to work very well.
    Totally agree with you on that one!

I made my own customized Monopod, and a small light weight hand held camera rig made from 20mm pvc plumbing pipe and fittings, both designed to fit my 2x SDT750 Cams and to suit my own shooting style.
    Cool, I love the creativity!

I too use the monopod, when I want to be dynamic or in situations a tripod just attracts too much attention (e.g. film permit issues, interfering with pathways, vigilante security guards etc). And if everything else fails a monopod rested on the foot is always legal on public space.

But if at all possible it is tripod, because I think that only from a tripod you can do a true steady shot, good zooming and active focusing.

Quote Quote