VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all,first post here.
    Kind of a newbie,so I am looking for some input.
    I have a roku 2 in my bedroom with the Time-Warner app,It works pretty well,I am looking for something to record some shows once a week(series)I have a switch that can bypass HDCP,looking for something to use like a DVR/PVR any input would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    In the future when you post a new thread please use a more descriptive title rather than 'looking??'For this time i changed it.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry,
    will be more descriptive in the future.Looks like no one here has any ideas,oh well worth a shot.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No really good ideas, particularly if you are looking for a stand-alone device from an established, reputable company that offers some customer support. What you want to do is probably also a violation of somebody's terms of service, either Roku's or the channels you want to record.

AVerMedia is a reputable company, but none of their products is ideal for what you want to do. They make two stand-alone HDMI capture devices which are primarily used for manually controlled recording, but which include a single programmable event timer. The timer can be set up to record every day at the same time, or just once. It wouldn't be possible to record two shows unattended, unless they were back-to-back on the same channel and you would have to make sure that the Roku is playing the channel that you want to record at that time.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks usually_quiet,
    Your info is greatly appreciated,at least it gives me a starting point!
    Thaks alot
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hauppauge makes a similar standalone HDMI recorder, the Rocket. I don't know if you can schedule recordings with it.

This device was mentioned in another thread a few days ago:
    http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cloner-need-Capture-streaming-videos/dp/B00TF9MCXU/
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Hauppauge makes a similar standalone HDMI recorder, the Rocket. I don't know if you can schedule recordings with it.

This device was mentioned in another thread a few days ago:
    http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cloner-need-Capture-streaming-videos/dp/B00TF9MCXU/
    Just like Jagabo mentioned. The HDMI Cloner off of Amazon seems to get good reviews. A customer used it to record roku. I'm trying to find out if the yk918h is the same device, but that would not qualify as being from a reputable company at all. If you get the cloner, make sure you install the firmware update from their website for it to run smoothly. mail2tom, a user on this site, uses it for television and he says the quality is better than the hauppage hdpvr. He also said good customer service.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply ezcapper,I think I am going to wait and see how you make out with the other device you bought for about half the price I read about on some other thread! very interesting.
    Quote Quote