VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !

Poll: What frame rate do you generally prefer?

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 30 of 30
Thread
  1. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Search PM
    What frame rate do you generally prefer?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Whatever the stuffy old engineers tell me.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member racer-x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Search Comp PM
    The one it was shot in...........
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  4. 300 fps and more...

    Weird question - as frame rate selection is related to country and source not personal mood...
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heaven
    Search Comp PM
    24fps.

    It's fun to convert to the actual movie frame rate from 23.976fps and 25fps sources
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    300 fps and more...

    Weird question - as frame rate selection is related to country and source not personal mood...
    You are incorrect, as you can see from the poll options the rates are grouped together (e.g. 25/30, 50/60).

    What camera do you use recording frame rates of over 300?

    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    300 fps and more...

    Weird question - as frame rate selection is related to country and source not personal mood...
    You are incorrect, as you can see from the poll options the rates are grouped together (e.g. 25/30, 50/60).

    What camera do you use recording frame rates of over 300?

    GIGO...

    There is multiple cameras capable 300fps - more correct is to ask about resolution @300fps
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    300 fps and more...

    Weird question - as frame rate selection is related to country and source not personal mood...
    you are incorrect, as you can see from the poll options the rates are grouped together (e.g. 25/30, 50/60).

    What camera do you use recording frame rates of over 300?

    gigo...
    What's a gigo camera or are you refering to garbage in garbage out?

    If so do you consider asking people what frame rate they generally prefer garbage?

    For heaven's sake why do you consider that garbage?

    Last edited by newpball; 15th Jun 2015 at 15:07.
    Quote Quote  
  9. It is not about preference, Do you like Jurassic Park movie? Does that mean you like or prefer 24p? Yes? OK, running to the store and buying camcorder that allows 24p recording. Recording and viewing it on screen. Man, that looks like a garbage. It stutters. Oh, shutter speed is not good? OK , setting it to 1/24. Everything is blurry! OK setting it to 1/48. Still stutters and it is blurry. WTH? You say I need ND filter. OK byuing one. Picture looks much nicer but still blurry or stutters. So you say I cannot just hold my camcorder and shoot 24p? NO. Oh, I see now. I need tripod and I cannot pan I have to frame subject to one place in frame. And no guarantee that my wife would feel sick watching it on big screen anyway. So 24p is not my favorite anymore. I will shoot 60p because 60i is interlace and I do not want to shoot interlace. Does that mean 60p is my favorite frame rate? See big question mark, not realy, but there it is you gotta go with that. There is always 30p right? You do not help that much really. Example, Neighbor shoots trees in the forest and using 30p , he is happy. But I would never be.

    There is no such a thing like favorite frame rate, shutter speed etc., you need to use what you have to use at the moment, what you do, with what camcorder, camera, what type of video it is, for whom you produce it, etc., etc.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    It is not about preference, Do you like Jurassic Park movie? Does that mean you like or prefer 24p? Yes? OK, running to the store and buying camcorder that allows 24p recording. Recording and viewing it on screen. Man, that looks like a garbage. It stutters. Oh, shutter speed is not good? OK , setting it to 1/24. Everything is blurry! OK setting it to 1/48. Still stutters and it is blurry. WTH? You say I need ND filter. OK byuing one. Picture looks much nicer but still blurry or stutters. So you say I cannot just hold my camcorder and shoot 24p? NO. Oh, I see now. I need tripod and I cannot pan I have to frame subject to one place in frame. And no guarantee that my wife would feel sick watching it on big screen anyway. So 24p is not my favorite anymore. I will shoot 60p because 60i is interlace and I do not want to shoot interlace. Does that mean 60p is my favorite frame rate? See big question mark, not realy, but there it is you gotta go with that. There is always 30p right? You do not help that much really.
    You seem to be confused and unsure about what to use.

    So eh, what frame rate do you generally use?

    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by newpball View Post

    So eh, what frame rate do you generally use?

    Are you serious?

    What shoes are you wearing usually in Norther California to work? I care less what you do, just tell me what shoes you are wearing. That information will have an immense value for me alone and others as well. We will certainly learn something from that information.
    a) boots
    b) sandals
    c) I prefer to be barefoot
    d) others
    Last edited by _Al_; 15th Jun 2015 at 16:51.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post

    So eh, what frame rate do you generally use?

    Are you serious?
    Yes, when you turn on the camera and record then on average what is the most common frame rate you use?

    I got to ask: do you actually record video at all because it seems to me you are avoiding the question.

    Asking fellow members about the frame rate they generally prefer in the Camcorders (DV/HDV/AVCHD) subforum of VideoHelp, what an idiotic question!

    Quote Quote  
  13. I shoot tons of video and for decades. Try it all, formats of particular time etc. Delivery in all possible formats. And I do not need to ask anybody what to do while shooting. You have no sense of irony. I am trying to tell you that you cannot ask anybody what the favorite frame rate of his is. You got something to shoot with, situation and you choose.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    I shoot tons of video and for decades. Try it all, formats of particular time etc.
    I see you shoot all frame rates and you have no preference whatsoever.

    Quite shocking to me to here from someone who makes videos for decades and has no interest and preferences for frame rates whatsoever. I suppose it is a job that pays the bills.

    Sad!

    Quote Quote  
  15. It is quite laughable. You are sad for me because I have no favorite frame rate.
    You are like that one man from The little prince story. Guess who.
    Quote Quote  
  16. _Al_ Im afraid you fell into his trap
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    It is quite laughable. You are sad for me because I have no favorite frame rate.
    Hey what is your favorite kid, if you have more of them?
    A guitar player who does not have a favorite guitar, a graphics artist who has no favorite tool, a writer who has no favorite topic, a sculptor who has no favorite stone, and a videographer who has no favorite frame rate.......

    I take it you have also no preference for AR, camera, format, tripod, lenses etc.

    I wonder, do you actually enjoy making videos?

    Quote Quote  
  18. You are weird, seriously. Trying to tell the other yet again what to .... , right now something about must have favorite. Or troll.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Quite shocking to me to here from someone who makes videos for decades and has no interest and preferences for frame rates whatsoever. I suppose it is a job that pays the bills.

    Sad!

    300fps and more, did you ever experienced something higher than 75fps? - that's why i like CRT's - they work also with more than 120Hz, they can work even with 240Hz in interlace.
    Anything lower than 100fps is compromise that forcing our brains to do various tricks... , better imagine 300fps with low latency which seem to be very important when you interacting with video - impressive video...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2013/06/defining-the-future-of-television
    http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp-pdf-files/WHP169.pdf

    Don't get me wrong but asking which color i prefer for prosthetic is inappropriate... that's why it is GIGO.

    btw and yes with current management... my work is mostly for pay my bills not to enjoy video world.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member 2Bdecided's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    I use 50p, but 120p is a clear improvement over what we have now, and 240p is a very clear improvement over 120p. Once you get that high, the viewer has a genuine choice of which object in the screen their eye tracks - because whether the object is tracked by the camera or not, it is clear and not blurred. Like real life.

    That will terrify people making cinema, but will be great for capturing real events to give a better sense of being there (sports, dancing, anything with lots of movement).

    Art embraces and thrives with technical restrictions. Attempts at reproducing reality do not. I'm not making art. I'm capturing experiences to re-live them. The more fps the better.

    Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    I use 50p, but 120p is a clear improvement over what we have now, and 240p is a very clear improvement over 120p. Once you get that high, the viewer has a genuine choice of which object in the screen their eye tracks - because whether the object is tracked by the camera or not, it is clear and not blurred. Like real life.

    That will terrify people making cinema, but will be great for capturing real events to give a better sense of being there (sports, dancing, anything with lots of movement).

    Art embraces and thrives with technical restrictions. Attempts at reproducing reality do not. I'm not making art. I'm capturing experiences to re-live them. The more fps the better.
    Thanks for giving a genuine opinion on it David!

    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Search Comp PM
    Jeez Louise, you might as well be asking us which gear we prefer to be driving our cars in.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Well to me, the OP appeared to be asking which frame rate you prefer to shoot video at, not which one you prefer to watch

    Anyway, most of my video is shot on the go, so i will sometimes use my own custom made Monopod, or mostly with my camera mounted on one of my custom hand held Rig, so shooting in 50p mode is an absolute must for me, so too is a good Auto Focus system, so too is a good Image Stabilization system, all for very obvious reasons.

    For the past 4 years i have shot all my video using 2x SDT750 avchd Cams, and the reason for these cams has been because all the panasonic consumer avchd cams produced since the TM700 up to the last generation of avchd cams were by far the more superior cams, the AF and Stabilization systems are simply amazing, color reproduction is 2nd to none, and the video quality just superb in daylight conditions, not so great in low light unfortunately, however this is where having a decent quality portable lighting kit comes in handy.

    The only time i can live with 25p mode is when shooting video from a tripod and keeping my usual panning style to a much slower speed to avoid jerkiness in the pan scenes in the video, and i can also switch off Image Stabilization mode while on a tripod as well.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    Well to me, the OP appeared to be asking which frame rate you prefer to shoot video at, not which one you prefer to watch
    Indeed, and I think it is pretty obvious as it is posted in the Camcorders section.

    Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    The only time i can live with 25p mode is when shooting video from a tripod and keeping my usual panning style to a much slower speed to avoid jerkiness in the pan scenes in the video, and i can also switch off Image Stabilization mode while on a tripod as well.
    Are you always doubling the shutter speed?

    No 24p for you?

    For me it is almost opposite, almost always 24p except for slow motion or sports. And sometimes I do 30p the occasional time I do some handheld (but only for artistic effect) and then slow it down to 24p to add "spookiness".

    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Are you always doubling the shutter speed?

    No 24p for you?
    Sorry not sure what you mean by doubling the shutter speed ?

    And nope, firstly my cams do not do 24p, and my video is real life action stuff, not a cinematic movie, others may have a desire fore 24p but not me, my shooting style only lends itself to shooting 50p mode, or if i only have a cam that shoots 25p i will use that mounted on a tripod, never on my Rig.

    Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Are you always doubling the shutter speed?

    No 24p for you?
    Sorry not sure what you mean by doubling the shutter speed ?
    Well typically you would want to double the shutter speed wrt to the framerate so 25p would use a shutter speed of 1/50 while 60p would use a shutter speed of 1/120.

    But of course you can divert from it for creative effects. A shorter shutter speed will give a more choppy effect while a longer one a more dreamy effect.

    Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    And nope, firstly my cams do not do 24p, and my video is real life action stuff, not a cinematic movie, others may have a desire fore 24p but not me, my shooting style only lends itself to shooting 50p mode, or if i only have a cam that shoots 25p i will use that mounted on a tripod, never on my Rig.
    I know that many Panasonics can wrap 24p into 30i telecined. But I am not sure if that is available in PAL regions. I think it is called cine mode.

    But great you prefer 50p!
    Videography is a creative art and as such there will be interesting opinions and ideas to share.

    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    Well to me, the OP appeared to be asking which frame rate you prefer to shoot video at, not which one you prefer to watch
    Indeed, and I think it is pretty obvious as it is posted in the Camcorders section.
    Well - it is not so obvious as this is complete chain (or you recording video with intentions to have framerate conversion somewhere in the middle of process?) - side to this don't forget about creating video not trough camera/camcorder recording.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I know one thing for sure, if i shoot 50p video i am never going to change it to any other frame rate, if i want 25p i would use a camera that shoots 25p video.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Don't get me wrong but asking which color i prefer for prosthetic is inappropriate... that's why it is GIGO.
    What about aspect ratio, color grading, shutter speed, what lenses, framing etc is that all garbage as well?

    Is there anything in your mind creative or artistic about video or is it all just functional?

    Quote Quote  
  30. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    What shoes are you wearing usually in Norther California to work? I care less what you do, just tell me what shoes you are wearing. That information will have an immense value for me alone and others as well. We will certainly learn something from that information.
    I must ask, when it comes to video the words creativity and art ring no bells for you?

    Last edited by newpball; 13th Jul 2015 at 10:57.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads