VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can someone explain to me?
    I mean XAVCS videos from the cameras. Is produced the movie, slow motion XAVCS 60p (1920x1080 / 960fps) in the camera can be played back in the preview editor as 960fps? Can I speed up a movie in the editor?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Camera model? Hard to know otherwise.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. This is a theoretical question. I pawned on advertising the new Sony RX10 II and its possibilities.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Theoretically you could , but no current hardware setup will be capable of playing it back at that speed. No common display panel will refresh at that speed either . You would have to setup your project settings to that speed, and interpret the clip at that speed as well - that way there is 1:1 display of frames
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Jamaika, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sorry for the confusion. I'm curious technology recopy frames in slowmotion file by the amended framerate. I don't know what the upper limit of the value fps movies. The thought came to me, if you can produce a movie 120fps at normal speed in Sony Vegas 13. It amazed me is that so little data uses with such a modern camera 60fp normal playback.
    Last edited by Jamaika; 12th Jun 2015 at 11:43.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You can produce video with any frame rate you want. There are "cameras" that shoot millions, billions, even trillions of frames per second.

http://gizmodo.com/5867562/unbelievable-trillion-frames-per-second-camera-captures-light-in-motion
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You can produce video with any frame rate you want. There are "cameras" that shoot millions, billions, even trillions of frames per second.

http://gizmodo.com/5867562/unbelievable-trillion-frames-per-second-camera-captures-light-in-motion
    Wow, hard to believe you can create a camera that records enough fps to record light waves in motion.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Note that cams such as those by Vision Research are for Rental only and are $$$$!

For more tradional (and reasonably priced) cams, such as the Sony RX10II, Framerate trades off Resolution (and vice-versa). So, if a cam can do 4k @60FPS, it can do 2k/HD @120FPS, and 720 @240FPS and SD @480FPS, etc, although YMMV greatly.
    So even though it brags about 960FPS, that might only be at something like 360x240 resolution.

Also note that those cams are designed to SHOOT that framerate, but not really display at that framerate. Those rates are meant to enable smooth slomo (at standard display/refresh rates).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Subject XAVCS would not exist if it was 320x240 / 960fps. The camera can record 1920x1080 / 960fps. It is a technological leap for profesionalych. During normal shooting conditions not be used.
    Last edited by Jamaika; 13th Jun 2015 at 00:13.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Look again.

Just checked the Sony website, and that model does do 4k @ 25p, or 50p. But to use the "960Fps" modes, you get only ~1100x300 or 800x270. Just like I described.
    No leap, just continued slow progression of sensor evolution.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yes Sony made the announcement a couple days ago on the Sony DSC-RX10 II . The price is very compelling ~$1300.

But the 960fps mode is not "true" 1080, it's upscaled 870x270 . Probably with lots of aliasing (from the line skipping and sensor binning), low quality . Even the 240fps mode will have aliasing - it doesn't have the CPU power to do a proper resize in realtime at that speed

Nevertheless, still looks appealing for that price

<Sensor Readout Number of effective pixels>
    Quality Priority:240fps/250fps (1,824x1,026), 480fps/500fps (1,676x566), 960fps/1000fps (1,136x384)/Shoot Time Priority: 240fps/250fps (1,676x566), 480fps/500fps (1,136x384), 960fps/1000fps (800x270)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yes, I know about scaling. I also know about the advertising possibilities x16 slow motion. However, if no record will be looked at 60fps.
    Quote Quote