VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why has HEVC and VP9 so bad and very low efficiency in a comparison with Perseus V-NOVA codec

Here is the article:

The new Perseus is used by Italian consumer TV network with old conventional hardware Television decoders!!! : PDF TEXT:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCc...95277229,d.d24
    Quote Quote  
  2. Where is the actual proof ? Unverified claims are meaningless

Have not agreed to provide samples or allow a review
    ^That alone should raise red flags

If you have something absolutely spectacular, "game changing", potentially extremely valuable, this is absolutely the wrong way to market it or go about rolling it out.

The slower you go about it, the more HEVC gets a foothold in infrastructure and equipment. The industry won't want to make capital expenditures on various upgrades, then spend again on something else
    Quote Quote  
  3. Did you actually read through that pdf? It's all over the place, talks more about Daala, VP9, x265 (and HEVC in general) than anything else.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    Did you actually read through that pdf? It's all over the place, talks more about Daala, VP9, x265 (and HEVC in general) than anything else.
    But it talks more about Vnova, and its commercial success in Italian Television network. A networdk which is used by millions there, with old conventional set-top-boxes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Where is the actual proof ? Unverified claims are meaningless

Have not agreed to provide samples or allow a review
    ^That alone should raise red flags

If you have something absolutely spectacular, "game changing", potentially extremely valuable, this is absolutely the wrong way to market it or go about rolling it out.

The slower you go about it, the more HEVC gets a foothold in infrastructure and equipment. The industry won't want to make capital expenditures on various upgrades, then spend again on something else
    V-nova do not need special hardware, the old decoders works perfectly with it in Italy (with special firmware updates) ))
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post

V-nova do not need special hardware, the old decoders works perfectly with it in Italy (with special firmware updates) ))
    No they don't work perfectly. It actually hasn't been tested for the end consumer yet, only in-studio distribution

They claim a firmware fix will work with newer consumer hardware boxes - but it hasn't been fully tested or proven - it's just conjecture

Sky Italia is already using the new codec for studio-to-studio contribution links and V-Nova says we should expect customers for distribution (headend to home) scenarios as well.
    http://www.v-net.tv/stealth-compression-company-claims-mind-blowing-performance-gains
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post

No they don't work perfectly. It actually hasn't been tested for the end consumer yet, only in-studio distribution

They claim a firmware fix will work with newer consumer hardware boxes - but it hasn't been fully tested or proven - it's just conjecture

Sky Italia is already using the new codec for studio-to-studio contribution links and V-Nova says we should expect customers for distribution (headend to home) scenarios as well.
    http://www.v-net.tv/stealth-compression-company-claims-mind-blowing-performance-gains
    The HEVC has no bright future.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post

The HEVC has no bright future.

Why do you say that ?

If you have something that really works, even if claims are only 1/2 true - you get that test data and proof out right away. There is a very short window of opportunity right now, and it's evaporating very quickly. Already there are HW fixed function decoders and encoders for HEVC in consumer hands in various devices. Not just a few select industry insiders. You can go out and buy cameras that shoot HEVC right now in a normal consumer store. It's not "proof of concept". Its real. Money has already been made with HEVC. Cash. In a sense, everyone else has "already lost", because HEVC got there first and has wide industry support already. VP9 / VPx will still exist is a slightly different market, because it's streamable and has Google/Youtube supporting it. If V-Nova actually has something that works - they need to make chipset makers, broadcast industry, PC makers and Apple think twice before they invest and spend on making their devices. In that sense, V-Nova is too late. They haven't even rolled out in a single neighborhood. They need to provide hard proof that it works. Do you think someone will license their product, either as a set top box, software, or firmware when it hasn't even been tested on a large scale? Everyone makes comments on "how good their management team is" - But if they truly have something good, they are being mismanaged. It's not a money or financing issue, because if you truly have something good, investors will be lining up to get a piece of the pie.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nova is a star that explodes and burns out, I expect the same fate will fall on V-Nova.....

I believe half of what I see and none of what I hear.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    This thread was made by a troll to provoke a flame war. Congratulations, you caught the bait.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Daala is by their own admission "not ready for prime-time for probably another year", but what I've seen of it so far is already quite good. If it continues on this track and actually puts out something next year, I'll use it. Will others? Depends much on the landscape next year, but it may be too late even if it will look great.

After the crap that RealNetworks has pulled over the years, I doubt anyone takes them seriously anymore. I won't use them unless made to by an employer/client (and even then I will voice my opposition).

V-Nova is vaporware until they can license desktop & tablet/phone decoder apps. But it looks like it still is really only being marketed to Big Pipe middle-ware net & broadcast providers, so it is a moot point for the rest of us until much changes. Add to that NO real objective, open examples & tests...=Smoke & Mirrors.

The real shootout is still HEVC & VP9. No news there.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!
    Even in the future will be the relevance of the application of new video compressor for panoramic video.
    Demo > https://eyes.kolor.com/
    Panoramic documentary films in combination 3D depth bring new urgency to the world of knowledge and entertainment.
    Quote Quote  
  13. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gravitator View Post
    Hi!
    Even in the future will be the relevance of the application of new video compressor for panoramic video.
    Panoramic documentary films in combination 3D depth bring new urgency to the world of knowledge and entertainment.
    Not everything that shines is gold
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    This thread was made by a troll to provoke a flame war. Congratulations, you caught the bait.
    Interestingly, I thought also that you are a troll in this forum.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Originally Posted by Gravitator View Post
    Hi!
    Not everything that shines is gold
    Bee - Around flowers and fragrance... Fly - Around shit and dumps!...
    Quote Quote